Metallica - Master Of Puppets 2017 Remastered Deluxe edition announced*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nodeerforamonth, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

someday they'll erect a statue for your suffering.

Dorian75, Metalrob, tkl7 and 3 others like this.
  2. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

No barcode. Looks just like the one pictured here: Metallica - Master Of Puppets

Matrix is like the pic with a single dot after 60

3. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Thks Kev. Your further comments on my posts that are insufferable to you further the conversation. Quick, there are literally 20 other posts you are currently commenting in, make sure you don't miss anything!!

One thing I've noticed more listening to this set is Lars' drumming. what an ODD style he had!|It's part Jazz, part made up on the spot but it's often very interesting playing and beat choices . . . a mixture of inspiration and auto-didact reasoning.
    Many of his rolls are just . . . what?!

4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

just messin with ya bud. now who are these metallica people and should I buy this remaster? that cassette looks nice...

5. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

I’ve played with many drummers, and they all universally believe Lars knew exactly what he was playing while having no clue as to what he was playing, simultaneously. His off-beat accents, odd fills ... and then there's THIS nonsense we have to process:

That all being said, I absolutely love when Lars goes complete, full Lars - see The title track of ...AJFA and Unforgiven. He’s playing such off, non-traditional stuff ad naseum, and it destroys. I’d argue Lars’ drumming is just as much an important Metallica signature as would be Kirk’s wah or James’ YOOOOO.

6. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Thank you, Cooks, I've been unable to articulate what it was about his playing that has grabbed me all these yrs. I first heard Metallica with this album in the summer of 1986.
    He is extremely inventive . . . and VERY sloppy, overall! Your comments have me going to listen to JUSTICE!

The songwriting arc presented in this box begins with James' & Kirk's home riff tapes in early 1985. Then we get James' tracked home recordings. Then we hear the band in the drum room demoing the tunes and still writing. That brings us to the Fall and Winter of 1985 where we get the CD of rough mixes of the album. Most of these don't yet have vocals but it sounds to my ears that many of the master tracks are there, they sound just like the album. And then . . . the official release several months later, March 1986.

One thing I noticed is that James honed in on the MASTER vocal sound early: it sounds like it's there in the late June demo of Disposable Heroes, very interesting

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  7. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

DCC Compact Classics
    [​IMG]

Kevin j, Cooks420 and Terry like this.
  8. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Went down to Princeton Record Exchange this morning to get the 3CD version and scored the live Osaka cassette.

9. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

LOL

10. Vinyl Fan 1973

Yup, that’s mine as well. I’m going to verify that US CD.

rnranimal likes this.
  11. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Sloppy live perhaps, but not in the studio. And the fact that he - allegedly - did “Dyer’s Eve” with no quantization or drum triggers is godlike, musically speaking.

12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Any chance your US CD is a club issue? I know those sometimes weren't digitally true to the standard release.

13. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Those of you that have the Super Deluxe, what do you think of the book that came with the set? I just bought the 3 disc version and my copy has a small insert flier for buying the book separately "while supplies last" for $8, plus shipping (presumably they're the print overruns.) The booklet that comes with the 3 disc version has decent enough photos and credits but none of the essays or interviews that typically accompany a deluxe set. Is the deluxe book worth the $8?

Pouchkine likes this.
  14. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

there's no actual high res version of this new remaster, is there? the 24/44.1 download from metallica.com's store is the highest res digital download?

15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

There was a 96/24 metallica.com download last year, but it had a 22khz cutoff. When this was brought to their attention, they removed it. I'm guessing the new one was mastered at 96/24 but only offered at 44/24 to avoid complaints from the frequency cutoff. So the question is why the cutoff. Was it mixed in digital and recorded to analog tape? Or is the master actually a digital tape?

16. krazy_olie

krazy_olie Active Member

So i went back to the download receipt from last year and it seems to be giving me the remaster.

Compared to the 2016 metstore download it is a tiny bit louder (reflected in the DR results) but it is also a brighter and seems to have not as wide stereo separation.

Both are good.

I think the guitars sound a little better on the newer one when you AB it, it has more crunch and the 2016 sounds definitively warmer but the bass comes through better on last years.

They are definitely different but I can't say which is better, that would probably depend on what you're listening through and preference. Definitely better than the cd version I have

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  17. krazy_olie

krazy_olie Active Member

For reference of the title track

the new one
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Statistics for: 02-Master Of Puppets
    Number of samples: 22728552
    Duration: 8:35
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Left Right

Peak Value: -2.39 dB --- -2.39 dB
    Avg RMS: -13.07 dB --- -13.29 dB
    DR channel: 8.42 dB --- 8.84 dB

Official DR Value: DR9

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 1668 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

vs 2016

Statistics for: 02-Master of Puppets
    Number of samples: 49463040
    Duration: 8:35

Left Right

Peak Value: -2.33 dB --- -2.33 dB
    Avg RMS: -16.24 dB --- -16.33 dB
    DR channel: 11.98 dB --- 12.18 dB

Official DR Value: DR12

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 2846 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

18. Anarseo

Anarseo Forum Resident

thanks man, everything is back to normal: now it's "shipping soon"...
    I'm sooo relieved!

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  19. Vinyl Fan 1973

:righton:

20. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

Just did an A/B comparison between this and the Rhino one. It's not even close. The Rhino wins hands down. Although this new one does sound good.

21. Vinyl Fan 1973

Well the Rhino vinyl is spread out over 2 LPs...

22. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Which is a good thing, right?

23. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Anyone having issues with the download site when redeeming the deluxe box code? I'm getting an error message from the site host.

24. Vinyl Fan 1973

For sure, but my comment was more in regards to comparing apples to apples, not apples to oranges.

25. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Gotcha. Just as long as you can consider LPs of the same album a different animal!

Only asked because a friend of mine was complaining about Hardwired being on 2 CDs (THE HORROR), forcing me to explain to him how Metallica actually learned from their prior mistakes from Magnetic and provided us with a wonderful sounding CD this time around. He was not convinced, lol