New Brand X Live album and tour!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agn, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agn

agn Forum Resident Thread Starter

You can buy it here if you are in the USA and at The Burning Shed if you are not in the USA. More info here: Official Brand X [​IMG]
    You can buy it starting tomorrow-June 7 at the Pawling, NY Daryl's House gig and at all the either shows this week as well. Here is a list of their upcoming shows.
    Daryl's House, Pawling, NY June 7
    BBKing, NYC June 8
    Newton NJ June 9
    Sellersville, PA June 10
    Lancaster, PA June 11
    Featuring original members John Goodall on guitar and Percy Jones on Fretless Bass! Plus the fabulous Chris Clark on keyboards, Scott Weinberger on percussion and Kenny Grohowski on drums! They will also be touring other parts of the USA later this year! I will be at the Newton, NJ show this Friday, June 9! Still tix available. Don't miss them!

klockwerk and Comet01 like this.
  2. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

What happened to Kenwood?

Say It Right likes this.
  3. agn

BX management said he has other commitments. Boo!

4. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

I just got front row @ Arlington Regent Theater on October 15th.

agn likes this.
  5. agn

You will love them especially being in the front row!

6. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Extraordinary show in Buffalo last night. New drummer was scorching, great set list too.

Say It Right and agn like this.
  7. agn

What did they play from Product and Do They Hurt?

8. peteham

peteham Senior Member

And So To F
    Noddy Goes To Sweden
    Cambodia
    ...from memory.

agn likes this.
  9. agn

They played Noddy and And So To F last tour but I am super excited to see them play Cambodia live! Will be seeing them again on Friday the 13th in October at The Iridium isn NYC. My 5th BX show in a year! Thanks for the info.

10. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Yes on both counts.

agn likes this.
  11. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

They are playing near me tomorrow night. So tempted, I've been a fan for years. It would be stupid if I didn't go. Wish I had Monday off...

Xabby likes this.
  12. Finch Platte

Asked for Monday off, got it. Just bought me a ticket to see %^&&$%^#^%$ Brand X!!!

Instant Dharma, agn and DaveinMA like this.
  13. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Enjoy it! I would be glad to read some west coast reviews.

agn likes this.
  14. agn

You won't regret it!

Comet01 likes this.
  15. agn

This interview with John Goodsall should get you even more excited!

John Goodsall - Blazing new trails

Have a great time!

If you stick around after the show. The boys sign stuff and chat. Very laid back and very cool.

Enjoy! BTW my BFF Steve will also be at the show at Yoshi's! He is a big tall lean guy 6' 3" with no hair on top and a stash. Say hi to him. Tell him the Bean sent you!

16. Finch Platte

Well, as much as I'd like to, I won't be driving to SF tonight to catch them again. ;)

A most excellent show last night in Sacramento. I knew it was going to be a good night when I got a parking spot right across the street from the venue (Harlow's). They came out a little after 7 and proceeded to rip the face off the joint. The newish drummer, Kenny Grohowski, was excellent, nailing his parts and bringing many smiles to my face. I watched him the whole night, pausing only to marvel at Percy Jones' technique and tone. Goodsall, while impressive as well, was just the icing on the cake. :uhhuh: Kudos to Chris Clark on keys, who had a really cool keyboard solo in the middle so the boys could take a breather. These guys are not to be missed if they come to your town. They looked as though they were having a great time as well. Goodsall made a few cracks that had us chuckling. No sign of the percussion player- maybe they sent him home to save money.

The sound was really good from where we sat. A really good mix and not too loud. Thanks, Sound Dude! :targettiphat:

And thanks, agn, for the signage tip. I had bought their live 2-disc CD when I came in, and had their merch guy autograph it right off. He was so stoked to sign it, he gave me one of their keychains that features 2 of their albums, Morrocan Roll and Unorthodox Behaviour. :laugh: I waited in line after the gig, and altho I was gobsmacked to be in their presence, they all chatted with me and signed the disc.

A friend whom I haven't seen for years was walking around Harlow's, and I approached him and invited him to sit at my table. He took a couple of pictures, which I'll post if/when he sends them along. Thanks, Ralph!

I've never seen so many King Crimson t-shirts in one place before, what's up with that? :nyah:

A downer towards the end: I came out of the bathroom and there was a guy lying prone on the floor. An ambulance came and carried him away. Hope he's ok. With the median age of the concert-goers there, it could have been serious. :shake:

I only hope they come out with a live DVD from somewhere on this tour. My life would then be complete. :biglaugh:

agn and ledsox like this.
  17. Finch Platte

Thanks for the link to the interview, I'm reading it now. Great to hear they're making new music.

agn likes this.
  18. agn

Glad you had a great time. They are supposed to come out with another live album from this tour sometime soon. I recommend their Facebook page which has all the latest info if you don't know about it already: Official Brand X

j4yheindeo and Finch Platte like this.
  19. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

For those interested, since we're talkin' the reunited Brand X...

[​IMG]

My review of Brand X's Locked & Loaded, its second live album since returning after Newelt two decades in 2017, with original members John Goodsall and Percy Jones, today at All About Jazz.

There are a great many bands whose lineups have been so fluid that keeping track of who was in the band when is no mean feat. Few bands have, however, had as complicated a history as Brand X. Even in its latest re-reincarnation, there's been a lineup shift between the high octane fusion group's January, 2017 performance documented on But wait...There's more!, released independently the same year, and Locked & Loaded, culled largely from a show just five months later and released as the current band hits the road for a relatively short tour of the northeastern United States. But weathering lineup changes is something Brand X has long handled with aplomb, and Locked & Loaded is nothing short of a stellar addition to But wait...There's more! in documenting Brand X 2017, and with its own magic to recommend.

The band first came together in the mid-'70s, with an original lineup featuring guitarist John Goodsall, über-bassist Percy Jones, keyboardist Robin Lumley, percussionist Preston Heyman, and drummer Phil Collins, who used the open-ended, improv-heavy Brand X as a separate creative outlet to the stricter confines of his by-then main gig with Genesis, the ascending progressive rock group whose diametrically opposed objective was to reproduce its studio material as faithfully and consistently as possible in performance.

But even by the time of its studio debut, Unorthodox Behaviour (Charisma, 1976), the group had already experienced a shift in personnel, with Heyman gone and the band reduced to a quartet, with saxophonist Jack Lancaster guesting on some tracks. Brand X's formative lineup would, in fact, go unheard until 1997, when Gonzo Multimedia released {missing period}, which featured a half dozen Goodsall/Jones compositions that were, in some cases, germinal versions of music that would ultimately end up on Unorthodox Behaviour and the 1977 studio followup, Moroccan Roll (Charisma).

The core quartet of Unorthodox Behaviour was augmented, for Moroccan Roll, with Morris Pert, a busy session percussionist (tuned and untuned) who'd garnered attention for his work with Japanese percussionist Stomu Yamashta, Canterbury mainstays Caravan, fusion compadres Isotope and, most notably, Marscape (RSO, 1976), an all-too-often overlooked progressive masterpiece led by Lumley and Lancaster, but also featuring fellow Brand Xers Collins, Goodsall and Jones.

But as Collins became increasingly busy with the demands of Genesis' upward trajectory towards superstardom, his participation with Brand X became inconsistent; even the band's third album, the live Livestock (Charisma, 1977), was culled from live dates featuring both Collins and, when he was busy gigging with Genesis, American drummer Kenwood Dennard, at that time best-known as a participant in guitarist Pat Martino's brief move away from mainstream jazz towards more hard-hitting fusion, Joyous Lake (Warner Bros., 1976).

Continue reading here...

SuperFuzz, jay.dee, Comet01 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.