Was Oasis the biggest band in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WildHoneyPie9, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

I was in college in the late 90s/early 00s. I was hanging out with a friend from Greece. I didn't really get overseas much as a young kid so my reference point for everything was mostly American-centric (minus all the reading I did about UK bands that I love).

We were out to lunch one afternoon and he asks me, "Do you like Oasis?"

"I mean, I used to back in 95/96...I was super underwhelmed by Be Here Now"

"In Europe, they're like the Beatles..."

"Really?"

"Yep."

It was really the only point of reference I needed. We were in music school and he played/plays guitar. He knows his stuff. From that moment moving forward I kinda felt that the US didn't really "get" Oasis anymore, especially after the MTV VMAs and Liam spitting into the crowd. They kinda took on a whole new life in my world and I went down that rabbit hole real hard again.

I love them and wish the brothers would stop acting like nudniks to each other in the press, bury the hatchet, and make new music as Oasis again.

Giacomo Belbo and clarkydaz like this.
  2. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

For all the people who never liked Oasis, therefore can not or will not believe or choose not to understand Oasismania because of their biases.
    May I suggest you refrain from posting your ignorance in this thread, for a moment and go 'waste' an hour or so of your precious Oasis hating time and just watch briefly a bit of the documentary "Supersonic".
    I know it will be painful for you. LOL
    But just watch the first 10-15 minutes of it to see, for your own doubting self.
    Just how fast, and just how big Oasis became in the span of 18 months.

As I have read many times elsewhere, Oasis are probably going to be the last 'biggest band in the world'. Simply due to the fact that the conditions required to achieve and spawn that feat, even if its validity is contested, actually no longer exist, the same way that the conditions that made The Beatles possible, no longer exist either.
    And I speaking more on cultural conditions than musical ones.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  3. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

So now it is Oasis being the last big band in the world? You guys are becoming even more delusional in your devout blindness.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers, around Californication, were bigger around the world than Oasis ever were.

Same goes for Foo Fighters at various times in the 2000s.

4. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

This I actually agree with.

They absolutely had the potential to be far bigger than they ended up being. They completely and utterly botched their attempt at cracking America.

The Police around Synchronicity time is what cracking America looks like.

If Oasis had cracked America then central and south America would have followed; then they could have claimed big boy status (aka U2, Bon Jovi, AC-DC, Guns N' Roses type success).

The Gallaghers were their own worst enemy in regards to botching their ascent to the top; they never did end up climbing all the way to the top of Everest. They got part way up the mountain, had a punch up and fell to the bottom :)

5. Saint Johnny

Hahaha...
    RHCP and Foo Fighters? Speak of delusions?
    At this point you are almost speaking in tongues. I get it now.

NunoBento likes this.
  6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I don't think I would know an Oasis song if I heard it. What was their "biggest hit"?

7. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

[​IMG]

wbhendrix likes this.
  8. Chris Schoen

I guess by not listening to the "right" radio stations, and not having much younger friends, created a "bubble" around myself. Oh my, what have I missed!!!

9. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I would disagree. E.g., "Chartbusters" says Californication sold about 15 million copies world-wide, whereas Morning Glory sold 25 million copies globally.

Foo Fighters have no albums that are anywhere near those totals.

I do agree that the Chilis were "bigger-for-longer" than Oasis. They were a huge band globally for a good 10 years, from the release of Blood/Sugar in 1991 to the release of By The Way in 2002. Oasis had a much shorter global peak, basically 1995 - 1998.

But when Oasis was at their peak, they were probably bigger than the Chilis ever were.

boiledbeans, e.s., NunoBento and 2 others like this.
  10. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Come on, why is this even relevant. Some of the biggest evergreens from the past 25 years. You try to make us believe you managed to miss it, well done. Like bragging one missed 'Hey Jude' and 'All You Need Is Love'. Cool.

11. Chris Schoen

Hard to believe, why? Yeah, you would think a guy on a "music forum" would have HAD to hear Oasis? I don't listen to "pop" radio, and have a great record collection (mostly 60's and 70's) - Nope, I don't know any "Oasis" music. Sorry.

12. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I mean, it's not the magazine's only offense by a long shot. With a a cover/hype line like that - let it sink.

13. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

one could answer that by looking at wikipedia or many other online sources. it would probably take less time to do that than asking others to tell you on a forum. if you go to youtube, type in oasis and look at the one thats been viewed the most. i just did that. it took me 5 seconds. i found that wonderwall with over 300 million views is their biggest hit. followed by don't look back in anger, then stop crying your heart out.

mindgames and Saint Johnny like this.
  14. AndyK235

AndyK235 Forum Resident

The US got Bowie (sometimes). He had plenty of hits over here. Depends on which Bowie though. His style changed with the times. nevertheless, there are no shortage of fans of his Space Oddity/Ziggy Stardust/early 70s era music over here. He might not have been big at the time that music was released here, but his music has a dedicated fanbase now.

Giacomo Belbo likes this.
  15. AndyK235

AndyK235 Forum Resident

I do think that Oasis could have made an even bigger impact here had it not been for Liam's antics. It seems like he flaked out a couple of times in the States, including an MTV gig. But they were popular for a while, but Britpop was never selling like grunge or hip hop. It was more of a niche thing, like Third Wave Ska, pseudo-big band stuff, nu metal.

16. Saint Johnny

Oh my lord! This thread is truly one of thee most entertaining in all my time on SHF. (about 10 years, IIRC):goodie:

And trust me, there have been some really out-there topics/opinions discussed here, over those 10 years, that just make me go...Whoaaahhhh. (kinda like watching a car wreck, you just can't look away)
    But please do keep 'em coming!
    Carry on....

PhantomStranger, dlb99 and NunoBento like this.
  17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Sure, he could have done that...but then he wouldn’t get to brag about how he never heard of ‘em.

Jarleboy, NunoBento and Saint Johnny like this.
  18. Saint Johnny

As Noel has said many times, the reason Oasis became legendary was because of Liam's personality and antics, not in spite of them.
    Without Liam, Oasis would've been just another Britpop also-ran with a few good songs.

That come to think of it....would not have inspired a 53 page internet forum, hate-fest thread, almost 10 YEARS after they disbanded, in chaos.

NunoBento likes this.
  19. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I heard something good by Oasis once.
    It consisted of the intro for What’s the Story...and continued into the intro riff. That’s it.
    They had more good stuff????
    Mmmmm. Missed that.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  20. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

They might have been for a week or two if you measure big by a combination of hype, self importance, expectation, talent and sales. I think a "vibe" analysis is apt. They could not make that claim for any sustained period though. The peak was soon after WTSMG came out and steady decline ever since.

21. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

pretty sure you've mentioned this over the course of a 53 page thread. Why are you here?

Zeki, bob60, NunoBento and 1 other person like this.
  22. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident

23. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Red hot what? Bunch of foul mouthed yobbies wearing shorts and injecting drugs who still think they are 20 something and should concentrate on writing good songs instead of mouthing off. Foo Fighters? Who can name any other band member than the drummer?

Oasis was the last rock'n'roll band. Ever. If they reunited, it will be like the Beatles.

But who cares, John Lennon have a new album out.

NunoBento and Saint Johnny like this.
  24. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Mostly 60's and 70's music, on these forums, wow that is a surprise....

25. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Senior Member

"Sorry, I haven't seen it. I don't even own a TV. I also refuse to do a two-second Google search to educate myself before butting in to this conversation."

NunoBento and Saint Johnny like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.