The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Hey, it aint my fault...Copy and paste from the archives does that

Be glad that it was a 72 show and not one from 95 :nyah:

KeninDC, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  2. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thank you I did not know that. The red light comes on when an HDCD is played on my Arcam 92 cd player so I had always assumed it was an HDCD coded (if that is the correct word) disc. I know my early Dick's Picks purchased around the time of issue were not HDCD and then later in the series they were.

3. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

We are all damned :biglaugh:

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

These are, I suppose, encoded as HDCDs. The issue is that they aren't encoded in a way that capitalises on the potential major benefit of HDCD, i.e. peak extension providing greater potential dynamic range (20 bit v 16 bit). It's quite useless that they persist with HDCD encoding without exploiting the main benefit. It's false advertising, in my opinion, because the only inference to draw is, "I must be getting a better sound if I decode the HDCD than if I don't" which no longer is the case for the more recent issues.

The May '77 official download set is, I think, the only standard resolution audio that the Dead has sold during the HDCD era that is not HDCD encoded. The hard copy discs are but the download isn't.

Two questions, then, for those of you who can answer - 1. was the download advertised as being HDCD encoded and 2. do the May '77 discs have peak extension?

5. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Again, you're not wrong. But the sequencing of a show is definitely a factor in my enjoyment of it. :)
    That is one of my favorite things though - there are loads of shows where I thought the setlist sucked but the show ended up blowing me away.

6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Give it just a minute, and it'll blow (you) away...

Billy_Sunday and warewolf95 like this.
  7. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

None of the albums in the 2 big box sets of the original albums released during the band’s career use HDCD features. At this time I can’t remember for sure about HDCD features in the May ‘77 box set, but I do know the download files were identical to the CD rips, both light the “HDCD light”, and I think the HDCD features were present on both

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Milwaukee Performing Arts Center, 10/24/72: Truckin'>Drums>The Other One>He's Gone>The Other One...almost an hour of groove, including a stomping Phil solo. Magic.

[​IMG]

9. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

So today is the most beautiful 10/10 day Greenville has ever seen. I've got good trucking job prospects lined up in the works and things look good (for today, at least).

Starbucks is empty right now and I'm just soaking up the great vibe this mornign has.

So it's on to 6/14/76 :)

I've waited a long time to hear these 2 shows. They've been hyped quite a bit and they better live up to it! :)

That being said, ONLY 3 BALLADS TONIGHT, WOO HOO! :D

10. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Fall '72 is my favorite era. Yes 72 has the first set repetition thing, but the set II big jams, Playin's, Birdsongs, China>Riders are all very well played with lots of inventive improv. Fall 72 always satisfies. The real peak for me.

11. US Blues

Speaking of Yes '72, do you have "Progeny: Seven shows from '72?"

12. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

One for the ingrates' thread...

DrLunchbox, ianuaditis and warewolf95 like this.
  13. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

I have the compilation. Great release.

US Blues and warewolf95 like this.
  14. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

4/24/72 Dark Star section post MAMU is unique and maybe a top 5 Dead improvisation - the following Wharf Rat is the best version I’ve heard from 1972. All these E72 shows are so amazing but this one might be top 3-4 that I’ve heard from the famous tour.

15. Dahabenzapple

Now back to the post Dark Star portion of 2/2/70 - I hate the transition from St. Stephen to Masons but the band is playing so forcefully that nothing really matters anyway....

notesofachord and US Blues like this.
  16. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I finally got home to check my May '77 CD's. Indeed my Oppo says "HDCD", but when I decode then with dBPoweramp's HDCD.exe, sadly peak extend is not enabled, and Foobar 2000 agrees.

17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

There's also some recapitulation and further development of pre-MAMU themes in the post-MAMU section. An improvised piece of music that often has characteristics of a written piece.

18. Dahabenzapple

Switched to the 4/12/70 Dancing & then the 8/6/71 Hard to Handle from the Phil 2 CD set to remind me how great Jerry is.

19. US Blues

That right there is a profound thought. :winkgrin:

20. US Blues

Dude, did you forget in the last half hour how amazing Jerry is? That might a sign of... er... I forgot what I was going to write.

21. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Peggy-O New Haven 5-5-77.

22. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

In my opinion, it has the best Dark Star of all time and the best Playin' jam from the tour. I know what that adds up to for me.

nitsuj, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  23. Monroro

Monroro Forum Resident

MAMU? Someone please translate.

24. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Me And My Uncle

Monroro likes this.
  25. Monroro

Monroro Forum Resident

Bummer. I was guessing it was some distinct reoccurring jam from 72 I didn't know about ala 'feeling groovy'.