New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

They should remaster DS9 and Voyager for HD and offer both exclusively via All Access. That would get a bunch of Trekkies onboard...

Meng, Deesky and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The new episode felt like classic Trek to me. Except for the party scene: I’m glad that the people in the 23rd century finally do something other than listen to classical music and stand around like they’re in an art gallery when they throw a party.

Encuentro, sunspot42 and jriems like this.
  3. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Yeah, that was a fun episode. Stella!

Encuentro likes this.
  4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Great episode! Is it me, or is this series not quite as serialized as we have been led to believe? There is a thread that runs through the episodes, but many of these episodes, including this most recent episode, are very much standalone in the classic Trek tradition. Not that any of that stuff matters to me. Good storytelling is good storytelling. Serialized or episodic, I'm on board!

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

So last week, they were wearing "Disco" shirts. This week they were listening to a remixed Bee Gees song. Just throwin' it out there. :)

6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The midseason finale was absolutely fantastic.

7. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

hmm....odd...and on The Orville they were listening to Barry Manilow - I guess in the future - the 1970s were viewed as the height of civilization or something....heh

Encuentro likes this.
  8. DreadPikathulhu

Fantastic season so far. I’m convinced Tyler is a surgically altered Klingon and his PTSD was actually submerged memories of his surgery and relationship with the Klingon female.

It’s going to be difficult going back to just Walking Dead on Sunday after STD and Twin Peaks.

jriems and Encuentro like this.
  9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I wonder where they ended up. Mirror universe? There was definitely a hint of that in this episode, as Lorca revealed that he'd been charting the spore drive jumps and had discovered parallel universes.

What is going on with Stamets? Those eyes. Very similar to what we see in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" from TOS.

It seems that, at the very least, L'Rell has some kind of control over Tyler. He told Burnham that he'd been tortured, but perhaps, as has been suggested, there's something more there. There were flashes of a circular saw in his flashbacks.

10. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

Someone please explain some of the logic in this show to me. Either I'm missing a lot of information, or this show has no internal logic that can sustain the story.
    1. Why would you have a means of travel that is dependent on biological beings? If they are hurt or killed while you are at a vulnerable point, you're screwed. Point proven this week. Why risk it so often?
    2. Why is it important to defeat the cloaking device when Starfleet is reporting cloaked ships on the way to the border? Someone is tracking them already?
    3. What are the front lines of this war? Discovery seems to be able to engage in a skirmish and then be safely in Federation space very conveniently.
    4. What are the objectives and goals for Starfleet to win/end the war? Discovery is always mentioned as "vital" , but never seem to contribute much.

And this week's episode was the most frustrating of all. Why send two people to plant the devices? Send multiple parties that plant one device each and beam everyone back. Quicker and less likely to be compromised. Why is the planet they were "protecting" this week safe because they destroyed one ship? Wouldn't the Klingons send another ship if it was important to them? You would need a garrison to protect the planet. Discovery just left. It's terrible plotting at every turn.

Deesky likes this.
  11. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I agree with everything you said. I stopped taking it seriously after the 3rd episode where there was a mysterious creature that was ripping apart Discovery's sister ship and violently killing people one moment and safely contained on Discovery a few minutes later. For a TV series that's supposed to be serialized there is no continuity from one moment to the next or from one episode to another.

And it's still better than anything I've seen in the last 3 big budget theatrical Star Trek feature movies. Imagine that.

budwhite and dougotte like this.
  12. HGN2001

If you want to find fault in STAR TREK logic and plotting, you can find it in every series, not just DISCOVERY. It's a television entertainment, nothing more. Make some popcorn, sit back, and enjoy where it takes you. If you cannot do that, then it's not for you. Find your entertainment elsewhere.

13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

1. That means of travel allows for them to jump to any point in the known universe instantaneously. It is an essential tool and, in Lorca’s and Stamets’ estimation, a necessary risk to save countless lives. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. For the time being, it depends on a biological being. The spore drive is a new technology. They’re working out the kinks.

2. The importance of defeating the cloaking device is a long term advantage, not a short term advantage.

3. The front lines? It’s a fictional universe. The front lines are wherever the fight takes them in this fictional universe. Discovery has the ability to jump in and out of Federation space at will due to the spore drive. Yes, it is a very convenient tool to have which goes right back to your first question. The risk is worth it to the Federation.

4. It seems to me that Discovery has contributed quite a bit. They saved Pahvo and have taken the first steps toward defeating the Klingon’s cloaking technology. It is a potential long term advantage. The objectives are the same as they are in every war: defeat the enemy.

Beaming multiple parties over runs a much higher risk of detection. Tyler and Burnham had to hide behind every corner to move from one place to the next.

14. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

It's not for me anymore.

15. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

What interests me is the fact that, at some point, the spore drive is going to have to be shown as being completely impractical/unethical... just to ensure that this storyline is consistent with other Trek series. I am a bit curious as to how they are going to do this (but the effects on Stamets perhaps gives us a clue).

Encuentro likes this.
  16. DreadPikathulhu

I’m really not worried too much about everything tying neatly into the other series. It’s entertainment and I’m enjoying the heck out of it. I’m lucky enough to be a first-generation Trekkie (though my initial memories of TOS are hazy and I didn’t really get into it until the Gold Key comic series of the early 70s) who has seen this franchise evolve over the last 50 years.

dougotte and Encuentro like this.
  17. HGN2001

First-generation Trekkie here too. I was there, watching in full color on the night TOS premiered in 1966. It didn't initially dazzle me enough to make it a priority to watch - I still had a thing for Elizabeth Montgomery at 9 - halfway into Trek, and there were no VCRs or time-shifting devices available. But once I saw "City On The Edge Of Forever" I was hooked, and haven't missed any STAR TREK adventures on-screen in all of the intervening years. (Well, there's that one Ferengi episode of DS9 with Quark dressed as a female that I haven't ever sat through.)

I'm really enjoying DISCOVERY. I hope it becomes available on Bu-ray someday.

Encuentro likes this.
  18. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I want to know what happened to the female uniforms between this and TOS. :D

P.S. I'm enjoying ST: D immensely.

Dok and Encuentro like this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Bingo!

20. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I used to sit up with my mother and watch it during the original airing of Season 3. I was very small. :)

21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

There are many who love it and many who have decided well in advance that they weren’t going to like it and have allowed their predetermined dislike for the show to shape their opinions going forward. Some haven’t even bothered to watch and have latched on the bathroom humor of The Orville as a spiteful alternative. To each their own.

DreadPikathulhu and HGN2001 like this.
  22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

And some have watched until they could take no more. To each their own.

Scott222C likes this.
  23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I did that with DS9 and The Orville. It only took me two episodes with The Orville. Some folks are into bathroom humor and TNG nostalgia window dressing. To each their own.

24. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I was skeptical at first , but Discovery is a great ST show .. Up there with the best IMO and while I enjoyed Enterprise , Discovery is a better Prequel series IMO ! Episode 9 was amazing can't wait to see what happens next !! Lorca is a badass and Burnham is a great conflicted character .. ! i can see Discovery going the full distance ..

DreadPikathulhu and Encuentro like this.
  25. DreadPikathulhu

The ST forums are filled with people complaining about having to pay $6 a month for something they think should be free. It’s their loss because it’s the first ST series I’ve been excited about in decades.

Lonson, dougotte and MikeJedi like this.