The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Well, it certainly re-occurs regularly, you got that part right.

That being the point...

2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Just be thankful that it wasn't STDOMTT.

Monroro and US Blues like this.
  3. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I've several times encountered these assertions about inconsistent and bogus HDCD execution on Dead releases, but may I ask what they're based on? I've had trouble when I try to follow up and track down down authoritative documentation of these flaws.

4. US Blues

STDOMTT is nice, but in regards to E72 I always enjoy a rippin' SOTOTW. :nyah:

5. Archtop

Especially out of Dark Star, although that never happened on the E'72 tour.

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Mamu is Shamu's long lost orcan brother, who could often be seen stage right grooving in his tank whenever Bobby broke into "Me and My Uncle".

[​IMG]

:tiphat::winkgrin:

KeninDC, dgwint, footlooseman and 3 others like this.
  7. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

It’s a whale of a song. :tiphat:

ianuaditis, Archtop, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  8. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

PAC is an awesome venue!

I've seen a lot of the shows there but not until after 1974 when we moved down there. And they stopped a lot of the rocker shows in the later 70's there because the Kiss fans tore the hell out of the place.

nitsuj likes this.
  9. US Blues

Although you must admit, the "Other One > SOTOTW > Other One" sequence from 10 Dec 1971 is smokin' hot.

10. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Sittin’ is one of those burning blues numbers I wish they hadn’t retired. Always a highlight when I see it in a set.

11. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

DaP 3 arrived today. Got all 24 plus the GOAT "The Frozen Logger." Woot. :pineapple:

12. HighThyme

HighThyme Forum Resident

I think you misunderstood what I said. I'm not talking about the tapes that were auctioned and therefore not in the vault, I'm talking about the tapes she'd recorded that were not put in storage by her in the first place because she hadn't taken them back and they were still with the rest of the band's tapes at their offices, where anyone in the band's circle of trust could probably access them, including Betty herself, at one point. Those tapes have been used for vault releases, credited to Betty, for years.

13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

If Larry David were a Dead Head, there would be an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm featuring a subplot about how annoying song abbreviations are, with a special emphasis on MAMU.

14. Archtop

Major kudos for proper use of the subjunctive tense.

rcb30, nitsuj, KeninDC and 1 other person like this.
  15. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

OK, dudes, I wasn't sure whether to put this here or Un-Grateful, but I opted for here, so hopefully no teeth gnashing ensues, because 'twas not my intent.

OH MY GOD, the musical brilliance is splitting my bRaIn in 25!* I went to see Phil at his club last night. The lineup was Tom Hamilton of JRAD, Ross James, Holly Bowling, PHIL, and I don't know the drummer's name (forgive me, drummer, you were great).

Wow, Tom Hamilton man, dude knows exactly what he's doing. At one point he starts playing, or rather, teasing/playing "Stella Blue," and I'm like, "Wow, is he going to step up to the mic and do the slow Jerry? Is he? Because there's a lot to that, I don't know. . ." But no! He transitions from Stella to Eyes, and the crowd was literally dumbstruck, as in how the HELL did he just do that? But he did do it, and it was crazy.

They did a ripping Help>Slipknot!>Franklin's. Just on the nuggets, everything just right, Is dotted, Ts crossed, just killed it.

Ross James, man, I stick with my initial assessment of his playing in the band--he's obviously been trained as a conventional rock guitarist. He does not do Jerry. I don't even think he has it in him. He actually served, in this band, as a nice counterpoint to Tom Hamilton's "Jerry," and I'll get to T.H.'s playing a little below, but, man, I swear to God, some of Ross' playing last night, his runs and fills. it was like he was playing "Bodhisattva" with Steely Dan. He's a good guitar player, but how he stays in Phil's orbit playing as he does, I don't know. Phil obviously likes his un-Jerry style. But the problem for me is that Ross' un-Jerry style goes beyond sound and effects, it also goes to timing. Ross has the timing for Steely Dan session work, or a straight-up Chuck Berry tribute concert. How he's on stage with Dead-centric musicians is beyond my wheelhouse. It takes more than long hair and a tie-dye.

This is NOT to say Ross messed anything up, because. . .

Tom Hamilton, man. Last time I saw him was with Billy & The Kids at Peachfest a few years ago. He was on fire last night. Forget Mayer man, T.H. is the around 40-something player that should be playing Jerry/Hunter music. He just KILLED, again, and again and again. The woman next to me was like, "Who is that guy? He's great!" And he was. He's a friggin' transition ninja with this music, no doubt. Makes me wanna go see JRAD again. And prior to last night, I did not want to see JRAD again.

Holly Bowling, she's getting better. I don't know if she's getting better or they've turned her up in the mix. She can literally play anything. She's almost Keith-like, or maybe she's totally Keith-like, we'll see. She's great on piano and organ. And she makes the best keyboard faces. While everyone else on stage usually kept a straight face, she makes faces like a fan would make a lot of times. And this fan is a fan of Ms. Bowling.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    *So concludes the overt werewolf95 tribute portion of this post.

16. HighThyme

HighThyme Forum Resident

At the time he had them, yes, but I can't imagine he had any influence once any of them got lumped with all the rest at the band's office. Don't forget, we know she also had some of the tapes Rex recorded in her possession that wound up in the storage locker auction as well. From what I understand, anyone connected to the band could walk in and ask to borrow a tape. Eileen Law and the rest of the staff would know who to trust.

Crispy Rob, bmoregnr and budwhite like this.
  17. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

:biglaugh:needs more bold and oversize text though.

I had that dear Jerry concert on my DVR, Billy and the Kids were an unexpected highlight, largely due to TH's playing. (I had to erase it though, to make room for my kids' Wild Kratts episodes.)

I'm going to seek out this show, as I want to hear more of what you mean about Ross, you've been saying that for a while.

And IMO as long as Phil is there it 100% belongs here. (I'd be OK with a band with no GD members if they play all GD tunes too.)

budwhite, Archtop and wavethatflag like this.
  18. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Sure this has been mentioned before, but just noticed my DaP3 is a "Limited Edition" but not numbered.
    This must be a copy from a run of unnumbered extras for defects, shipping damage, etc....right?

ianuaditis likes this.
  19. trd

trd Forum Resident

Thanks for the write up. I was, unfortunately, out of town this weekend so I missed jrad and this! Couldn’t agree more re Ross James, I really don’t get him. And yes Tommy is a magician.

Oh and Holly IS a fan. She’s close friends of friends of mine so I’ve been able to speak to her a little and hang out. She’s just a phish kid who’s crazy talented, finally broke through thanks to YouTube and is quite literally living the dream.

Glad you made it and had such a great time

20. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Yeah, I saw on her website a while ago that she's been to over 300 shows, which is nuts.

trd likes this.
  21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Did ya rob a bank?

22. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Hmmm...that surprises me. I was sure that the downloads were not HDCD whereas the discs were. I'll check mine out tonight.

Oh - sorry. Didn't see this reply. Thanks for checking.

So, even if the downloads are HDCD they might as well not be. That manages to be annoying and not annoying at the same time.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Crispy Rob likes this.
  23. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

There are a few of those around, yesh. Mine is number 1357, but I have at least four without any. Edit: 9, 11, 12 and 17. The latter two being replacement discs from dead.net.

No biggie. Unless you ordered it from China... :D

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Crispy Rob, budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  24. US Blues

Excellent field report!

Regarding Tom Hamilton- go see JRAD. He and that band are masters of morphing songs, to the point where "Costello" (I think he's the FOH mixer) puts a scorecard on FB after each show which teases out all the teases, song quotes, and other musical surprises at each and every show, intertwined in the setlist. And best of all TH does it in service to the music, and to the fans. Let Meyer tour with the dinosaur's, TH plays with the fiery young kids who will carry this music forward for years to come.

And yes, a JRAD show with Phil guesting on bass would be off the proverbial chain.

trd, Crispy Rob, wavethatflag and 2 others like this.
  25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Given the fact that HDCD hardware is disappearing (if there are any players being manufactured currently, they are few in number and probably due to be replaced very soon by updated models which won’t include HDCD), it’s better for it not to be used. Really, once 24/48 and higher recordings became available to the consumer, HDCD was superfluous and unnecessary

Six Bachelors and bmoregnr like this.