Propaganda - A Secret Wish

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lost Monkey, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Ha! I bought the black label, instrumental version in the clearance section of Woolworths in Cardiff in '84. Again, I bought it mainly due to its' FGTH connection. Went onto get the white cover with vocals, plus a couple of 12" versions.

sparkmeister likes this.
  2. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Ha! I bought the black 7" in Hippos records in Albany Road (remember that?). I picked up the 12" second hand in Kelly's Records in Cardiff market.

Stuart S and Colocally like this.
  3. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

"Dream within a Dream" ? It's very Poe-etic. :)

RevolutionDoctor, Stuart S and Yost like this.
  4. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Been thinking about "The Chase" lately.
    Great track.

Stuart S likes this.
  5. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

englishbob, Stuart S and tin ears like this.
  6. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

7. AndyH

AndyH Forum Resident

Curious - some of the tracks on the vinyl are listed as “Analogue Variation“

And could this be 45rpm ?

Disc: 1
    1. Dream Within a Dream (Analogue Variation / 2018 - Remaster)
    2. The Murder of Love (2018 - Remaster)
    3. Jewel (Analogue Variation / 2018 - Remaster)
    4. Duel (Analogue Variation / 2018 - Remaster)
    Disc: 2
    1. p:Machinery (Analogue Variation / 2018 - Remaster)
    2. Sorry for Laughing (2018 - Remaster)
    3. Dr. Mabuse (First Life) [Analogue Variation / 2018 - Remaster]
    4. The Chase (2018 - Remaster)
    5. The Last Word (Strength to Dream) [Extended Mix / 2018 - Remaster]

8. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

The vinyl looks like it has the correct tracks. This "analogue variation" business is the creation of Ian Peel - it means the vinyl versions as released in '85. To me, because it came out later, the CD versions are the alternate versions.

On the CD it's odd that it states that the "analogue variation" of some tracks is included.

9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Didn't the previous CD reissue have both the original vinyl LP and CD versions of the album? Hence Analogue variation.

jsayers and sathvyre like this.
  10. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Yes, it has...and if your CD player is able to program some songs in different order, you can listen to the original LP version :) I love it !!!

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's a fascinating topic because Steve Lipson claims that the vinyl version was somewhat "unfinished" and that the three months delay gave him the time necessary to finally remix and rearrange it to his satisfaction. Then there is the fact that even in the 80's different CD versions contained different variations of this album. So it's hard to say what is original and what's an alternative.

jsayers likes this.
  12. sathvyre

For me, the LP version is the original version. Some of the remixes for CD simply sound like remixes...the LP has a more continuous flow to these ears.

englishbob, Paul Rymer and tin ears like this.
  13. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

In my opinion, it's not the original version unless it starts with the glorious Analogue mix of Dream Within A Dream. It's how I first heard it on vinyl and it will always be the correct version as far as I'm concerned. I didn't get to hear the CD until a couple of years later, and thought that the remix disrupted it's flow and robbed the track of a lot of it's build-up and power.

It's probably one of my favourite album openers of all time.

ippudo, noirbar, englishbob and 3 others like this.
  14. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I think it depends on the version one heard first. For me that’s the EU CD. Everything else sounds like remixes to me. I didn’t even know the vinyl was different, until I bought the Deluxe version in 2010.

c-eling and Neonbeam like this.
  15. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Just needs a 5.1 remix really.........

16. sathvyre

kendo, Paul Rymer and Neonbeam like this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Neonbeam likes this.
  18. Neonbeam

Absolutely! I've heard it from vinyl first in 1985 but even then there already where these 12-inches with these fascinating sleeves so the idea of "original" was a highly relative one.

Today I've got no idea which variant I prefer. The vinyl is shorter, more precise. The CDs are another listening experience. And since it was really early in the history of digital it was one of the first CDs I ever heard. Of course it sounded impressive.

19. Neonbeam

Definitely! Even though I wish I would have bought the blue vinyl deluxe edition that MOV (?) did around 2010.

tin ears likes this.
  20. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Somehow they are still around. Got one earlier in the year from Amazon, it was the blue one. I don't think these are blue, so looks like MOV have repressed some as a last hurrah

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004OTZV16/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PROPAGANDA A Secret Wish (expanded vinyl edition) (remastered) vinyl at Juno Records.

Personally I found the issue a bit pointless to be honest, the original pressing of the album is great. Finding a really decent one can be a bit tricky though

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Neonbeam likes this.
  21. jsayers

I only have a small handful of my vinyl from "back in the day" before I dumped everything for cd's and thankfully, my original UK copy of A Secret Wish is among them.

22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Exactly, I was as shocked by the difference in Duel/Jewel on the LP compared to the singles, as I was by the change to Dream... on CD compared to LP.

23. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

They did one but I don't recall it being anything special: Propaganda - A Secret Wish

I might have to dig that out tonight!

JeffMo and PJayBe like this.
  24. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

This has the same track list as the original vinyl, right? The European CD has the alternate versions? I've lost track... too many re-releases of this album!

sathvyre, Neonbeam and c-eling like this.
  25. jsayers

I like it a lot, personally.

PJayBe likes this.