Paper Mache Dream Thread - King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Travadinho, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travadinho

Travadinho Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's a drawback of putting out so much material. Some of it is bound to 'miss'. I'm waiting on the CD to ship so I haven't listened to the new Gizzy, but I'm keeping my expectations low(ish). I've been hearing mixed things about the new Qotsa. I like 'evil has landed', but I haven't heard anything else. The album cover is pretty cool though.

I know it's not easy to take recommendations from a stranger, but you should give them time to simmer. I think they're really good, but their music didn't hit me immediately.

2. Travadinho

Just curious....anyone here preorder a physical version of their newest collab with Mile High Club? If so, have you received it in the mail yet?

3. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

I pre ordered the black vinyl copy and I still haven’t received it which is a bit frustrating because I live in Australia and now I’m seeing it in shops everywhere and for less than the preorder! Still this is one album to listen to from start to finish, randomly selecting tracks to preview really won’t do the album justice as it’s really one big piece of music. I quite like it and it grows on you more and more

4. Travadinho

That's why I was asking. I'm still waiting on mine too. I'm not sure if the preorder has shipped yet, though it was supposed to on Oct. 5th. Just wondering.

I've only listened to 'Countdown' so far, which I really like. I'm keeping the album a mystery until I get the physical copy. Hopin it's soon!!

tumbledweeb likes this.
  5. Travadinho

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  6. pork3

pork3 Forum Resident

I think Sketches of Brunswick East might be my favourite album of theirs (and was lucky enough to get the white vinyl pre-order!). It reminds me a LOT of Zappa's The Grand Wazoo in places. I love all their albums from Oddments onwards, but the songwriting on this one is so strong, and the music less one dimensional and more experimental than some of their other releases.

Travadinho likes this.
  7. Travadinho

You, sir, have just raised my level of anticipation a bit. I love Zappa and the Grand Wazoo is one of my fav Zappa albums. Anything that sounds remotely similar is a OK in my book.

Man I can't wait to finally listen to this. Even if it ends up being their last release this year (which it likely won't), I'll be quite satisfied with their 2017 output.

8. tumbledweeb

Just received my copy today, sounds fantastic, really enjoying this one !

Travadinho likes this.
  9. Travadinho

Here's a leaked demo that is speculated to be part of one of their upcoming albums (maybe this year's 4th?):

Apparently, it was leaked by one of the Gizzy boys and then removed shortly after. Intentional marketing or accidental link? Either way, it sounds interesting. Sounds kinda like a potential FMB vol 2

10. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Yes, got mine on Saturday.
    Really love this album. It's quite a departure for them. More lowkey, pastoral prog-psych. It's gonna get a lot of plays here.

Travadinho likes this.
  11. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I’m quite keen on the cowboys and indians one with the narration.

Travadinho likes this.
  12. Travadinho

I got mine a few days ago, but I'm saving it for a special occasion :uhhuh:

I just purchased that one from Ebay. Looking forward to it! The collection is now complete!

Six Bachelors likes this.
  13. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, how I love them. Like two of my other favourites, Thee Oh Sees and Ty Segall, they seem to put out new albums every six months or so, and they always kick butt. "Sketches of Brunswick East" is no different. I like that it's a big departure from their previous work. The jazzy sound really works for them here. Got the black vinyl today, and it sounds really good! :righton:

14. Travadinho

zakyfarms likes this.
  15. Travadinho

I also love Thee Oh Sees. You have good taste, my friend

bzfgt and murphywmm like this.
  16. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Travadinho likes this.
  17. tumbledweeb

So King Gizz have just announced the release of their next album Polygondwanaland, however with a twist.... they are giving away the masters of the Album in three different files on the internet so you can, 1 - download a mp3 copy, 2 - burn yourself a cd with all artwork provided or 3 - create a vinyl copy for yourself with artwork. They seem to be also allowing any company to print out vinyl copies and sell off for whatever they want for no profit for themselves as well! Crazy times

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Travadinho likes this.
  18. Travadinho

That's pretty crazy.
    Apparently, you can download the new album Friday here:

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

And a physical release is up for preorder through Blood Music:

Blood Music

19. Travadinho

20. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...I wish they would reissue Oddments and include the poster of the cover art. Talk about a mind-fu**.
    Love these guys. :cool::thumbsup:

Travadinho likes this.
  21. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

If I had the $$$, I would love to make my own vinyl version - Kevin Gray to do the mastering and RTI to do the pressing.

22. tumbledweeb

Get onto it mate :D

23. Travadinho

If interested, here is a list of the record labels that have picked up the album so far:

POLYGONDWANALAND MEGATHREAD • r/KGATLW

That Needle Juice pressing looks sweet!

It looks like it's updated regularly. ATO should be added to the list, as they said they'll be releasing a physical version. It looks like Flightless won't release it.

24. Travadinho

There have been whispers of reissuing the old stuff for about a year now. Flightless had a sale recently where they posted new pressings of some of their back catalog (which included stuff by Orb, Pipe-Eye...in addition to King Gizzy). The oldest Gizzy release in the sale was Mind Fuzz, unfortunately. They really need to reissue all the pre Mind Fuzz stuff. They'd make a killing since everyone wants it.

Edit: Actually.....correction. Flightless also posted CDs of Eyes Like the Sky during the sale....so they actually did reissue a small number of pre Mind Fuzz stuff. Here's hoping for more in the future!

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  25. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

Travadinho likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.