Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

It's funny, I had never even considered that it wasn't Murray until reading your write-up and then I went and googled and sure enough, there's no consensus but it strongly seems like it's Dennis on that first solo. See, even a fan of 28 years can learn new stuff from this thread!

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Phantom of the Opera:

Absolute classic! Probably my all time favourite Maiden song. There's an absolutely killer live version of this on the Women In Uniform 12". It would be great to have that whole show released, but sadly Maiden seem to act as though they'd rather forget Dianno was ever in the band these days.

Transylvania:

Love it! It's fast, it rocks and it's great fun! Again, another one I don't like the Bruce era live versions, though that's not his fault here! For an album that gets a lot of criticism from the band, these songs rarely seem to sound right any other way.

Strange World:

When I got this tape as a kid, I always fast forwarded this one. I didn't like or get it at all! It was years, even decades later that it clicked with me. When it did I began to like it a lot. It will have been too subtle for an 11 year old. I also skipped The Battle of Evermore & Going to California on Led Zep IV! Strange World is fantastic and one of their rare songs that is subtle and low key throughout. Another great Dianno vocal too.

That brings me up to date. I'd like to go on more about how magnificent Phantom of the Opera is, but you all know that!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

All this talk of the debut inspired me to yesterday listen to...

Piece of Mind!!

Loved it.

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

What is this EP? I've never heard of it. That's the version of Phantom from the Women In Uniform 12" I mentioned above.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I won't desert the Maiden!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Phantom Of the Opera

One of the finest metal tunes of all time.
    That is all.

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've just gone to YouTube to listen to Live +1. Before it started there was an advert for Metallica - Master of Puppets that claimed it to be 'The Greatest Metal Album of All Time'. It's bloody brilliant but, I don't think so!

This Live EP is a killer...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Great to have you here!

9. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

I've always liked Strange World, its the most Un-Maiden like song they've ever done. But I find some really good things in there, a serene sound to the guitar parts, and Di'Anno singing really well, its possibly his best singing for the band.

I can get why others wouldn't like it though, its not a heavy song. There's no thundering Bass or drums in here. But Maiden can do any kibd of music, and this is the proof. They've just chosen not to lol.

And I can't imagine a Bruce version of this, its a pure Di'Anno song this one.

10. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Very true... Burr's style perfectly compliments the first three albums, but I can't for the life of me imagine him on something like Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

11. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Strange World

Beautiful song, that really sets an otherworldly mood. This is the kind of song to listen to on headphones with your eyes closed. Nice singing by Di'Anno. It also surprises you. Like other Maiden songs that start out slow, you expect it to explode. Love that it breaks the mold and stays moody.

Anybody have thoughts on the lyrics? It kind of seems to be about vampires ("Girls drinking plasma wine", "Living here, you'll never grow old"), but I'm not great at interpreting lyrics.

12. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

I always thought it dream like, not in a drug infused, dream but just a wild imagination running rampant. But thinking about it, vampires.... Maybe? It does follow on from Transylvania...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  13. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

[​IMG]

"Strange World", moody and atmospheric song. Terrific performance from Paul, he shows his great softer side and amazing voice on this one.
    This is very touching song and you can't be still and not get moved by the melodies, the great sounding guitar with that mellow bluesy tone. It get's to you and your feeling.
    Both Stratton and Murray give great performances but I have to say that this is Paul's finest moment ever of all the recordings. Incredible performance from Paul.
    I really, I mean I really love the atmosphere and feeling that this song creates. It feels so otherwordly. It's perfect song in it's own way.
    Nice that this is little moody piece between all that usual heavier and punkier approach of the album, so this is essential little break to catch breath.
    Great song and I have always liked this one really much.

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

First BBC Session:

I prefer this version of Running Free to the album one. Same with Sanctuary over the single version. Great sounding session.

15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I will try and jump in now and again...:wiggle:

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  16. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Strange World

It's a freakin' psychedelic rock tune by Iron Maiden! I love it

Sanctuary

Simple song, but a real face-melter! Followed "Strange World" in the North American vinyl verisons (US/Canada), and that flows WAY better than the later CD reissues where "Sanctuary" was sandwiched between "Prowler" and "Remember Tomorrow".

Rapid Fire, SammyJoe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

“Strange World” is kind of like Maiden’s “Planet Caravan” if you think about it.

@BryanA-HTX - bad form jumping ahead of the OP, brah. Just sayin

18. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Yeah, something like that definitely gives you "permission" as a heavy band to do something slow and kind of psychedelic.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  19. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

My bad, but I wasn't sure which track listing they were going by, or if they were going to mention it at all.

GodShifter and Zoot Marimba like this.
  20. Zoot Marimba

We are going by the 1980 North American release, as that seemed to be the group consensus and that's the order most would be familiar with. And I think it flows much better than the 1998 tracklist.

21. Zoot Marimba

Oh yeah, it really is like Planet Caravan, good catch.

GodShifter and Man at C&A like this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Sanctuary was never part of the debut album!

23. Zoot Marimba

It was on the North American release though, but yes, it was a stand alone single in the U.K.

GodShifter and Man at C&A like this.
  24. theanalogkidsignals

theanalogkidsignals Forum Resident

I've always had the UK version, but Sanctuary is a badass song. So is "Burning Ambition", which I think?? Was the B-side.

Zoot Marimba and Man at C&A like this.
  25. Strange World.
    I see this in the same vein as Remember Tomorrow....and rate it just as highly. Brilliant song.

The MEZ, Rapid Fire, SammyJoe and 4 others like this.