Johnny Thunders - "L.A.M.F." remaster - Nov 2017 + "So Alone" reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

A big article in Mojo about Johnny Thunders tells me that "A remastered 40th Anniversary edition of L.A.M.F. - The Lost '77 mixes" will be released on Jungle on November 24, 2017.
    Not sure if this is yet another (!) remaster or the same as the last one.

Also coming up is a "So Alone" reissue on Remarquable. Again, not sure if this will be the same as the last one:
    Remarquable Records

…but the article in Mojo mentions some previously unreleased outtakes.

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Can't find any info, but that 40th anniversary remaster seems to be available now on digital platforms like iTunes and Amazon - can't really grade the mastering quality though, not when it's streaming and/or playing out of computer speakers.

Purple Jim likes this.
  3. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

If you're interested in this and are in the NYC area, you might want to check out this show at the Music Hall of Williamsburg on 11/30:

40th Anniversary of Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers - Performed In Its Entirety By: Walter Lure (Heartbreakers), Mike Ness (Social Distortion), Clem Burke (Blondie) & Glen Matlock (Sex Pistols) Plus Surprise Guests

L.A.M.F.

4. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

On the subject of L.A.M.F. there's also this black Friday RSD release of a 2016 performance, with a DVD release in early December.

[​IMG]

BB on Mars and melstapler like this.
  5. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I thought it was relevant to mention that Bunky & Jake released an album called "L.A.M.F." on Mercury Records in the 1960s. :)

6. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

Most of the info is in this thread:

7. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

i remember buying the original "L.A.M.F." when it came out in '77, and tho, at the time, i think i was 16, i didn't quite 'get' the NY Dolls yet, and after reading and seeing photos of the Heartbreakers and the other Dolls stuff over the years in the old Rock Scene magazine, i bought this and tho i thought the sound was kind of odd, thad, and has its charm!!! I bought the "L.A.M.F. Revisted" in '84 and liked how that kinda sharpened up the sound, and at least Johnny was involved with Gen X Tony James in it....not sure about yet another re-issh tho.....

DTK likes this.
  8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well I am obviously a massive fan :)
    The real treasure is the promised upcoming cd of So Alone outtakes; those are Johnny's greatest solo recordings. A few tracks were scattered on the two recent vinyl EPs.
    Don't see the need for a "remastered" LAMF; Jungle released a cd box set a couple of years ago that was definitive.

9. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

What were the recent vinyl EPs? So Alone remains a favourite album. Do you know who owns the album now? I presume Real Records are long gone.

10. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Re L.A.M.F the story I always was told is that the original album sounded poor due to some mastering error. Apparently (and I do not have one) a cassette version possibly issued in Spain was fine.

11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I think this is the first time the "lost '77 mixes" will be remastered as the 4CD set used the '94 mastering. But I have my doubts it will be an improvement.

12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I have a nice needle drop of the UK original and I find it to sound mostly fine except for a couple muddy tracks. I wonder if the idea of the cassette sounding better has anything to do with people playing it without Dolby turned on.

bagstiv and DTK like this.
  13. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

14. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

If it is an improvement I'm in.
    Had the opportunity to see The Heartbreakers three times including the show which closed Max's Kansas City down and was released as an album.

I'm 57 years old - to this day the Max's show might have been the greatest ROCK N ROLL show I have ever seen.

In whichever version, bad or good, LAMF is one of the greatest records ever.
    Its not Punk - its pure unadulterated ROCK N ROLL

sami, danielbravo, vonwegen and 13 others like this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Real Times and Daddy Rollin' Stone
    Remarquable Records

No idea as to the ownership, perhaps Johnny's estate.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

If this was recorded 11/16/16, I was there. I hope the DVD isn't going to be limited (the link with the info is password protected).

I'll be there........missed out on the early/late Bowery Electric shows the night befre.

They're also playing Los Angeles Echoplex on 12/1.

17. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

18. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

:thumbsdow

FuturisticWorkshop likes this.
  19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I have an UK original (Porky mastering) and it sounds mostly fine. Think the "muddiness" is partly an urban myth.

bagstiv, scotth, punkmusick and 2 others like this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

That's what I always thought. I thought it sounded fine. It was a raw, rough and ready rock 'n' roll album, not Dark Side Of The Moon. Admittedly, it didn't have the brasher force of Never Mind The Bollocks but it was on a par with Spiral Scratch and tougher than The Clash's debut album (UK version).

21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I'm cranking the UK vinyl now - sounds great! :agree:

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

From Drastic Plastic Records there is "So Alone"
    Mastered for vinyl by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio and pressed at QRP.
    Remarquable Records or Drastic Plastic Records version?

23. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Good to hear there'll be a straight vinyl re-issue of the 1994 version. Had that for years and had to give it away before I emigrated here to NZ. Grrrrrr... stupid me.

Hopefully, they'll keep the gatefold cover too.

24. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

I have the Drastic Plastic release. Excellent!

bagstiv likes this.
  25. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Thanks, working in Brooklyn, and I'd like to attend that show!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.