Getting into Todd Rundgren - where to next?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, Nov 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

The Rockpalast (German TV show) show from Jan '77 is "out there" - pretty fine document of the stage show at the time.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I managed to see Ra and the Oops, Wrong Planet tour where Utopia opened for themselves in jeans and white t-shirts, followed by a shortened Ra show.

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I started with Runt and Something/Anything?

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  4. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Same for me! I had to drive to Buffalo for it - Starcastle, then the Oops set, then the Ra spectacle. Enjoyed that show a lot, even from the nosebleed seats we had.

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dude, that's really freaking cool. :)

linclink, Chris DeVoe and strummer101 like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Yeah, I figure when a Gospel choir lady says someone's got soul, that is is pretty much definitive.

linclink, strummer101 and warewolf95 like this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Saw both at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas - from the front row. The best place for tickets back then was Capers Corner, run by Ben Asner, Ed Asner's older, crankier brother. But he did have a soft spot, and would make sure BIG fans got great seats. My brother and me bought the middle of the front row. I was right in front of Roger Powell. At one point, I was using my binoculars (in the FRONT ROW) to check out the sound equipment, and Roger flipped over the Powell Probe (one of the original Keytars) to show me the pitch bend wheel underneath.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    linclink, DesertChaos and strummer101 like this.
  8. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I'll make this one about me...:laugh:
    When I lived in Charlotte NC in the 90s, my neighbor was from deep in 'the hood' (he had bullet hole scars, an ex-banger). We became friends. His mama would visit him and I spent a lot of time chatting with her. One day she paused, looked at me very seriously and said, "You ain't white" (I am). One of my proudest moments. Anyway...

Yeah, definitive. :agree:
    Now I keep hearing "Soul Brother" in my head.
    for those who don't know, this is from Liars (2004).

This show was fantastic.

9. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Did you have Paul's Mother and Child Reunion?

linclink likes this.
  10. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

He definitely does and Love is a the Answer is a great song that really suggests his soulful side.

linclink, Chris DeVoe and strummer101 like this.
  11. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Todds in my top 5 artists:

Beatles
    Stephen Stills
    Brian Wilson
    Todd Rundgren
    ...ah, who's the fifth? Would have to think about that a bit

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

thanks. i didnt know about the 31 band eq in that era.

given that that interview is almost 10 years old, i suspect he might be using different things. i am a guitar player and i can tell you line 6 used to be the top dog in amp emulation but not anymore. its become crowded market. a lot of us line 6 guys moved over to BIAS for clean tones. he might be using Reason though. If you have mastered one DAW and know how to use it really well, there is really no good reason to move to another one.

Max Florian likes this.
  13. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Todd was still using his Line 6 stuff when I saw him in Boston last May. I may be going to see him on Friday, so I'll check out his current rig, but I expect it to be the same.

Never heard of BIAS.

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

I’m a long standing Todd head.

Tops for me are:

Faithful
    Healer
    Nearly Human
    Liars
    Todd
    Initiatin
    A Wizard, A True Star

All different but great.

If you like POV by Utopia then you’ll also enjoy Oblivion.

15. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Your choices are VERY close to mine! I respect Healing more than I love it, and Faithful is only 1/2 a great album, so I might insert Something/Anything or Hermit of Mink Hollow or Utopia (Network) to compensate. But I nit-pick. Oh, and I prefer Second Wind to Nearly Human (partly because of the recording quality), but they're damn close - I think of them as a pair ("Todd leads a soul review").

warewolf95, rodentdog and linclink like this.
  16. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Plenty has been said about his '70s albums. I'm just here to show more love for Nearly Human, which to me was like a rebirth album for him. The entire album was recorded live in the studio. The follow-up, 2nd Wind is also quite good; it was recorded live in front of a studio audience, but they were asked to hold their applause (one track ends with applause, but other than that, it's like it was recorded live in a studio).

I also really love this Live In Japan release - I originally had it on laserdisc and recorded the audio to cassette so I could listen to it in the car. It eventually came out on DVD, and also as a live CD named Bootleg Series 3: Nearly Human Tour, Japan '90. Fantastic lineup of songs, and the band includes members of Bourgeois Tagg (he produced their 1987 album Yoyo, which featured the minor hit "I Don't Mind At All.")
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

warewolf95, linclink and uzn007 like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Yeah, it's one of those things that seems like a good idea at the time.
    I saw The Security Project Band tonight, and both Trey Gunn and Michael Cozzi were using emulators. The only acoustic things on that stage were Jerry Marotta's drums.

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Count me as another fan of Healing and Nearly Human if anyone's keeping score.

warewolf95 and linclink like this.
  19. My personal favourites are (in chronological order):
    Runt: The Ballad Of Todd Rundgren
    Something/Anything
    A Wizard/A True Star
    Hermit Of Mink Hollow
    Healing

All of these are entirely different, so it depends on personal taste which ones you like best.

warewolf95, Crispy Rob and linclink like this.
  20. telecode101

I have that NH in Japan VHS still. They released Live at The Warfield Theater San Francisco: March 10th 1990 which is great document to the NH tour.

I have it.

Surly likes this.
  21. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I've mentioned this story before on another thread in this forum, but about 10 years ago I saw a solo Todd show at the Neighborhood Theater in Charlotte, NC. Somewhere around the 4th song of the night he played a great version of "It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference" on the piano. Then about 3 or 4 songs later...he played "It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference" on the piano. After he finished, he asked "wait, did I already play that tonight?" With a song that good, tough to complain that we heard it twice.

warewolf95, uzn007 and edenofflowers like this.
  22. telecode101

hmm. i wonder if he's developing dementia?

23. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

No way, based on the last few years of tours.

However, someone mentioned earlier that he had been diagnosed with ADHD, and I've seen him a couple of times when his attention wandered. Some of the "Internal Revenue Service" shows he did with just him and Jesse Gress were, shall we say, very relaxed--false starts, wrong chords, forgetting where he was in the set list, etc.

There's an old saying that it's not a true Todd show if nothing goes wrong.

warewolf95 and strummer101 like this.
  24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

walked out on Ra portion. I wasn't alone.

25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Every studio album is worth having. My fav is AWATS. One of the best power pop albums of all time is s/t Utopia album on the Network label.

warewolf95, linclink and strummer101 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.