Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

We went to Green Bay over the weekend and I ended up having to drive 2 hours in light snow, and inch in Green Bay and 3 inches where I was driving. Fortunately, they have the equipment to keep the roads clear with that much snow.

Mowgli likes this.
  2. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

Fun video posted by Valentina Lisitsa yesterday.

From her YT description - "Bach wrote 2- and 3- part Inventions as a exercises for aspiring keyboard players to perfect one's technique and touch. Since any exercise is supposed to be difficult and push you to the limit, I did just that. This way they ain't any easier than some of Chopin Etudes. Don't take it as a recommendation to follow. Other than "ZERO PEDAL ALLOWED". That should be a given Anything else - tempo, dynamics...do whatever you can. It's good for you - and it's fun!"

bluemooze likes this.
  3. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Listening to Mozart String Quintets today from this 3-LP box set. Still working my way through it (1 LP to go). Philips/Netherlands pressing. 1976.
    Excellent performance and sound.

[​IMG]

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I believe Eastman Kodak was the benefactor of the Rochester Symphony and helped create the Eastman School of Music. BTW, Linda Eastman, the late wife of Paul McCartney, was not related to the founder of Eastman Kodak ...

bluemooze likes this.
  5. coopmv

Unlike LA where heavy rain brings major traffic disaster, which I eye-witnessed some thirty years ago, most snowbelt states are well trained for snowy weather ...

6. coopmv

Picked up my new 2018 leased Honda yesterday and to my surprise, the CD player is gone. For audio, only AM/FM/Sirius are available and I can stream, which I do not do ... :(:sigh:

7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Does it have Bluetooth? Does the device you use for listening on your walks have Bluetooth?

Mowgli likes this.
  8. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

I never leased but understand that you can't yank the stereo to upgrade until you own it.
    Bummer.

9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

My 2016 Kia Sorento has a CD player, which is nice.

10. coopmv

The car does have Bluetooth. The device I use on my walks is not Bluebooth-capable ...

11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

How about an AUX input? Or USB? I'm asking because with either, you can of course control what you listen to in the car.

12. coopmv

The aftermarket for car stereo is pretty dead these days since most modern cars now have high quality sound systems built in right at the factory. I doubt I will ever make any attempt to do any upgrade even if I can ...

13. coopmv

The 2014 Honda I turned in has a CD player ...

14. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Yeah, it appears that factory CD players in new cars are almost gone forever. Sad but time moves on.....

I don't have to worry as I'll probably never own a car new enough to be an issue. My 24 year old Toyota has a cassette player! :laugh:

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now listening to "On Yoolis Night - Medieval Carols & Motets" performed by Anonymous 4 on Harmonia Mundi.

[​IMG]

16. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Palestrina - Masses" performed by The Tallis Scholars on Gimell.

Missa Brevis
    Missa Nasce la gioja mia
    Primavera: Nasce la gioja mia

[​IMG]

17. coopmv

I actually do not have this A4 recording but found it on Amazon with a different cover ...

[​IMG] :confused:

bluemooze likes this.
  18. coopmv

This was like the first CD by the Tallis Scholars I bought ... :righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  19. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Mowgli likes this.
  20. coopmv

It was that bad ... :D

21. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, record 1 from "Dowland - Third Booke of Songs 1603" performed by The Consort Of Musicke led by Anthony Rooley on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

Featuring:
    (the lovely and talented) Emma Kirkby - soprano
    John York Skinner - countertenor
    Martyn Hill - tenor
    David Thomas - bass

[​IMG]

Wes H likes this.
  22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I bought this LP today. Stunning playing and sound, (It derives from a 30 ips master tape), but my copy has nearly constant surface noise. I’m hopeful that a second cleaning will help—don’t really want to drive 65 miles to return it!

[​IMG]

crispi, Eigenvector, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  23. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Spinning-

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  24. Rose River Bear

There are some Debussy pieces on that LP that I have not heard in a long time. I need to take out my Debussy solo works CDs and listen to them.

25. Rose River Bear

There is not a dud in that Chicago set IMO. What a great conductor. The Titan is fantastic.