Was Oasis the biggest band in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WildHoneyPie9, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You are right. They were successful in the US, just not as successful as the Cranberries, from which you have taken my answer out of context.

2. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

U2 at their peak was the biggest band in the world (Joshua Tree)
    Bon Jovi at their peak was the biggest band in the world (Slippery)
    The Police at their peak was the biggest band in the world (Synchronicity)

Oasis in the 90s never cracked America, Asia or South America. Not the biggest band in the world.

They are in the same class as the Cranberries.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  3. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Hahahahahaha The Cranberries. Hilarious.

4. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

OobuJoobu, NunoBento and e.s. like this.
  5. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

You have no idea where they got that figure from

6. Exactly, and neither do you :laugh:

It looks like they are either rolling on the hype from a NME article or the Oasis PR office, neither of whom do certification audits.

dlb99 likes this.
  7. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

One tenth?

You are claiming 70 million album sales for Oasis.
    Wikipedia is claiming 40 million album sales for Cranberries.

Zombie has 600 million views on YouTube compared with Wonderwall 200 million.

They are comparable. Oasis were a little bigger, but they were comparable.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  8. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

A lot of that is true.

Oasis peaked a little higher than the Chilli's in certain markets (for a very short period of time).

Chilli's had more success for far longer and they cracked America (their home market) which is still the biggest and more important market in the world. Californication was far more successful in the America's than WTSMG. It's why they could headline in Brazil and Oasis couldn't.

9. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

doesn't make a bit of difference if you believe it does it, the people bought it. Or maybe there is an agenda in the real world aswell to make them bigger than they really are

10. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

We already are shifted towards "select other markets", I see, hehe.

Your posts are riddled with fallacies. Oasis was the biggest band in the world at their peak. But they didn't tour South America until 1998. And when they played there 10 years after mentioned peak, their setlist consisted of more than half songs from the mentioned time, and this was the "quite embarrassing" scene:

The only thing embarrassing here are Liam's woeful vocals. When they returned in 2009 with again a setlist consisting of half songs from their prime, this was the "quite embarrassing" scene:

The Best Oasis Crowd? - Morning Glory Argentina 2009

And here's the "quite embarrassing" scene when Noel Gallagher solo arrives in South America 20 years after the peak, the young crowd begs for a golden era song he doesn't sing without Liam, so they sing it by themselves:

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Live Forever - Half the World Away

So if anything, you are arguing here that they became bigger and bigger worldwide throughout the years. Or that certain markets started getting into their classic records a decade later, is that more plausible...? Next up: Argentina doesn't count any more to support your arguments, besides, Goo Goo Dolls were much bigger in Senegal in 2008.

When one shifts the goal post so much as you do, there's bound to be a goal at one point. And still you miss... So, now you're suddenly talking about recent times, the streaming era. That's convenient to you, because Crazy Town was bigger than U2 in 2000, because 'Butterfly' has got 52M hits on YouTube, and 'Elevation' just 22M. Until one, eh, compares it with a more representative measuring stick:

enfield, NunoBento and e.s. like this.
  11. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

But how many really? That's kind-of important. We know the Gallagher PR machine loves to spin some big stats, likely from thin air.

Wikipedia also claims that Iron Maiden has sold over 100 million albums during their career. Iron Maiden, today, is a stadium act on many continents. Heck they were a headline act in the same Rock in Rio where Oasis was relegated to a support act (2001).

Oasis were huge in the UK, Australia and parts of Europe. But did not dominate some of the most important big markets. They feel more like a massive regional act, kind of like David Hasselhoff being big in Germany and nowhere else.

12. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I see U2 mentioned a bit, they have had a tour near the top of the biggest grossing tours of every decade since the 80s.
    Don't see Oasis anywhere on the list. You'd think the biggest band of an era would have a top selling tour.

13. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

its a secret. Can we go back to them not being big in Japan? Not heard that for a few pages

NunoBento and e.s. like this.
  14. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

No they were not. Period.

If you don't crack America you can't claim the heavy weight championship of the world.

They clearly did not crack Brazil either. Those are only the 3rd and 5th largest countries in the world, no big deal.

Biggest in Manchester though, huge there, not doubt :)

15. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Sure, What's the Story Morning Glory peaked at number 8 in Japan.

Massive ;)

16. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

I think their 360 tour is the highest grossing tour by any band ever.

Oasis indeed is completely missing from the big tour lists:

List of highest-grossing concert tours - Wikipedia

Only the biggest bands made the list: U2, Stones, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, The Police, Bon Jovi, Eagles.

Oh dear. How will Oasis fans spin this? Their 2009 tour did not make the cut? Must be those cancelled shows when the Gallaghers punched each other? That's it ;)

17. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Comparable? Oasis have have far more youtube hits than The Cranberries.Not that it matters.
    Ok..One tenth in the UK..Half worldwide.
    Ps..If your boss cut your wages in half..Would you be happy if he said 'what are you complaining about.Its comparable to your previous wage'. :confused::whistle:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  18. This is a crazy thread, with the last three Golem like Oasis fans in the world residing in it, long live Oasis:biglaugh:

dlb99 likes this.
  19. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Are you on a wind up?? Looking at your comments about Bon Jovi and The Police i finally thought you were getting the idea of what makes a band the biggest in the world.Ie..Record sales over a given period. (which is different to biggest band ever)
    Then you go on about America again.How can you deny Oasis were not the biggest rock band in the world in the second half of the 90's ..Its a fact..Check the sales figures.Your personal opinion doesn't count.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  20. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Never claimed 80 million.?? .70 million is the figure normally quoted in the music press.As i stated earlier.

21. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

I know America is often known as an insular country.But this self obsession is strange.There are may more countries in the world than just your own.
    The Chilli's were bigger than Oasis in Brazil in 2001 .And your point is? Pity more of these £208 million brazilians didn't actually buy records.Its taken The Chilli's 25 more years to sell the same sort of units as Oasis did.The fact remains that Oasis outsold them vastly in the half a decade in which they were the biggest rock band in the world.
    Ps..Not have a go at the Chilli's who are a top band and may well have been the biggest rock band themselves at some point taking sales into account.Who knows..But just not in the late 90's.

NunoBento likes this.
  22. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Just for the record,i'm not an obsessed fan of the group.Its been several years since i listened to their music and i haven't purchased any of their solo stuff.It was a short moment in time over 15 years ago.It was a very bright light that shone briefly.

NunoBento and OptimisticGoat like this.
  23. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

The Cranberries had a couple of hits but ... really?

I think the vehemence of this thread is the result of three things:
    1. Oasis were never huge in the U.S. in the relevant period while other bands were (so the U.S. poster sees the claim as outlandish). To which I say the world outside of the U.S. is a very big place. (Australian posters took a similar view I think and I don't recollect that they were huge here in '96 but that is not the question).
    2. Oasis were massive in other markets (and fond of grabbing headlines with outlandish claims). As an Australian who travelled through the U.S. in late 96-97 and lived in the UK for the rest of 97-98, I can tell you they were the biggest rock band in the world outside the U.S. (and possibly Australia and no doubt quite a few other countries) by a mile IMHO deposing U2 and REM (again IMHO).
    3. The actual period "on top" was brief - because Be Here Now took the gloss off it. There is the insecurity in my view.

I do not agree that sales volumes or revenue alone are the determinant. I do not think that the biggest band in the world (at any moment) necessarily has to have the title "biggest in the U.S." to be eligible.

Jarleboy, autumn daze, e.s. and 2 others like this.
  24. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

25. So now that it's a settled matter that Oasis was indeed the world's biggest band, where do they rank with the Beatles, Stones and the Who?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.