Benny Mardones - Never Run Never Hide (the album with the hit version of Into The Night on it)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Yes, this is the album with Into The Night on it and I think it deserves its own thread as it does have some great rockers on it including She's So French and American Bandstand. According to the DR+ database, there is a secret remaster of the CD which is more compressed than the original CD pressing, pressed by PDO in the 1980s. The remaster and the original disc have the same UPC, same catalog number and everything so if you happen to have a PDO US pressed CD copy of this album, keep it. If you buy it used, keep an eye out on which pressing you have.
    Album list - Dynamic Range Database

Here are the track listings of the album:
    01-She's So French
    02-Mighta Been Love
    03-Into The Night
    04-Crazy Boy
    05-Hold Me Down
    06-American Bandstand
    07-Hey Baby
    08-Hometown Girls
    09-Too Young

This would make a great Audio Fidelity SACD issue as it is a very well recorded album and Into The Night is a classic hit.

[​IMG]

keyXVII, Dingo, longdist01 and 6 others like this.
  2. BradOlson

3. BradOlson

Anyone else on this forum a fan of this album?

keyXVII, longdist01 and nstza like this.
  4. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

A classic hit, ad it's a shame his 1989 self titled "blue" album didn't go anywhere.

driverdrummer and Rockerbox like this.
  5. BradOlson

While the Never Run Never Hide album with the original version became the perennial seller.

keyXVII and Rockerbox like this.
  6. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Obviously. But the 1989 record was supposed to be his comeback.

Rockerbox likes this.
  7. BradOlson

I know but it didn't work out that way. He still performs occasionally although he has Parkinson's.

www.bennymardones.com

keyXVII and Rockerbox like this.
  8. BradOlson

keyXVII likes this.
  9. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I love the original.I always put it on my Yacht Rock compilations. I remember hear this song and Cliff Richard-We Don't Talk Anymore constantly on B106.7 WTCB Columbia, SC in the mid 80's.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. BradOlson

Do you have Never Run Never Hide? If not, pick it up and if you are buying used, I hope you'd come across a PDO pressed CD or the vinyl LP.

11. driverdrummer

No I have the original version of Into the Night. Sounds good to my ears.

12. BradOlson

Pick up the album as you'd love it.

keyXVII and driverdrummer like this.
  13. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

I've been trying to find a vinyl copy for awhile. Into The Night is one of those songs that never gets old for me. Great thread.

keyXVII, Mooserfan and BradOlson like this.
  14. BradOlson

Go on eBay and order one.

15. paulewalnutz

I had a bad experience with Ebay & Discogs with vinyl so I'm leery if I can't check it out now.

16. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I haven't meet Benny , but I worked closely with his half brother for more than a decade. His family story is very uncommon, Benny's father being someone who arrived to the USA by mere coincidence (he was a sailor) and stayed there at least until Benny's birth, eventually moving back to Chile with a new family. I learned that early in his life Benny cut ties with his family and faced some substance abuse problems after he hit big with Into the Night. Who wouldn't,.

krock2009 likes this.
  17. BradOlson

Interesting story.

keyXVII likes this.
  18. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

Major Benny fan here. Like all of his albums, I'll cherish "Never Run Never Hide" until the day I die.
    "She's So French" has one of the most exciting acapella intros of all time....with the greatest scream since Alice Cooper's after the guitar solo on Under My Wheels! Plus power chords right up there with Baba O'Riley.
    "Too Young" is one of the most dramatic pieces of music and performances since Detroit Rock City.
    "Hey Baby" is one of the greatest lovemaking songs since "Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time".
    As a matter of fact, the only 'throwaway' on the entire album, "American Bandstand", is an upbeat heartwarmer about the legendary Dick Clark.

Actually, the only album by Benny that I find disappointing is 1995's "Stand By Your Man" which is Benny and his producer trying wayyyy too hard to appeal to the Michael Bolton demographic....and results in something like a cheap dollar-store brand version of a said Michael Bolton album.
    Other than that, ANY Benny Mardones album will fill the heart.

19. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Great album! I’ve owned the CD since the late '80s.

keyXVII and BradOlson like this.
  20. paulewalnutz

There was a really good interview I saw on youtube awhile back where he gets into detail about how he & Robert Tepper wrote Into The Night.

21. johnniedee

johnniedee Forum Resident

This album brings back so many great memories. When it was released received major air play on the two AOR fm stations here in Syracuse NY. And Benny became a hometown favorite playing concerts here frequently. Outside of Ohio ( Cleveland? ) his following was never bigger than here in CNY. And Benny still gets up here around Christmas time for his annual concert. Great album. I have the original CD when it was first released. Thanks for the thread. I will have to dig it out and give it a listen. It's been while.

22. BradOlson

23. driverdrummer

Into the Night is one of those great cruisin around songs like Dream Weaver and Don't Fear the Reaper.

24. BradOlson

Yes it is. One of the best 80s AOR power ballads ever.

keyXVII and longdist01 like this.
  25. BradOlson

I'm glad I brought you guys back some memories.

keyXVII and longdist01 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.