Metallica - Master Of Puppets 2017 Remastered Deluxe edition announced*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nodeerforamonth, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Yes sir; the KEA remaster is truly wonderful. Cliff shines on that beast.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and musictoad like this.
  2. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

As far as the other 2 go I only have them on vinyl and I thought ride was awesome and disliked KeA especially hit the lights. There's tons if distortion on it.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Agreed, on vinyl Ride is a winner. Although after Hit The Lights, KEA was really enjoyable as well. I have to admit I have not spent much time with the remastered CD versions.

Opeth likes this.
  4. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

I got my box yesterday (number is 15817) but probably won't have time to even open it till the weekend :sigh:
    It came from Amazon and even though it was supposed t get to me on Friday it arrived unscathed.

First impression was dang this thing is heavy, then i put it on the shelf with KEA and Ride and I was like dang also it's bigger than those two.
    I wonder if Justice will be even bigger as they band has said they have way more stuff from that time.

I might have to beef up the shelving to hold them. :)

5. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Got mine from Soundstage Direct tonight.

Man, this is a beautiful set.

I’ll clean the records another night. There’s a ton to dig into here. I’m on it.

Starting with cd of the album proper.

6. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

I broke and opened it tonight :D No time for a proper vinyl either so I just finished listening to the Meadowlands CD 4-21-86, some very interesting stuff there, the CD back says the tape ran out on Welcome Home (Sanitarium) and sure enough it does, your jamming along and then boom! it just over.

Think I'll do the CD of the album next and go from there too.

Pouchkine and Clanceman like this.
  7. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Just checked my amazon music account and the Stockholm show from the cassette is included in the digital copy so I won't need to dig out my cassette deck from the basement. Really digging this set. I thought they did a good job with the Kill and Ride boxes but they've totally nailed it with this one. Wish the Zep sets could have been crafted with this much content and detail.

8. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

@Clanceman I decided to check out the Hampton 8-3-86 show before the main album on CD, I have to say I enjoyed this show more than the April show. It's clear James hand is broken and he seems to be having a lot of fun. This is some good stuff.

Pouchkine and Clanceman like this.
  9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

What a beautiful set....a monster beautiful step.

10. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

I finally got around to listening to the album's remaster and all I can say is, WOW! It completely exceeded my expectations. Incredible clarity, balance, and sound!

And since the bass has been so prominent in all 3 remasters so far, I simply CANNOT wait to see what the remaster of AJFA sounds like! Do we really have to wait a year for it? haha

Pouchkine, Dorian75 and Clanceman like this.
  11. Bluebair

Bluebair Well-Known Member

Has anyone compared this remaster to the dcc, or japanese 1st issue yet?

12. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I'm starting to feel like there should be a separate thread for people only interested in the remastering of the album.

This is box filled with so much uncirculating stuff, and barely anyone seems to care!

13. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

I compared it to the DCC - the remaster is a tad louder, and the DCC has marginally better sound separation.

Clanceman and Bluebair like this.
  14. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

*set

not step

15. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood Thread Starter

Yeah, I don't get it. The remasters are the least thing I'm interested in. I still haven't heard the Kill 'Em All or Ride remasters!

16. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Hampton does sound better & energy is high.

izombie73 likes this.
  17. Combination

Me either - I was way, way more interested in the Metal Hammer '85 pro shot, that's for freakin' sure!

Boswell, izombie73 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  18. Combination

It's funny, because Kirk mentioned in a Rolling Stone interview that Samhain were at the Meadowlands show, and he said the whole band made sure to play a really good show - but to my ears, they did not get it together until the third song. Master has some glaring mistakes in the harmony section, and that's not like them.

So I'm looking forward to Hampton for sure!

izombie73 and Clanceman like this.
  19. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

On to Newsted audition/Country Club

1st tune of audition....MOP, sounds great.

20. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Wow, it has arrived. Beautiful set indeed.
    It's gonna take a while to explore and listen all the stuff here..

Just as I have had some driving around with my car during this workday, I listened to my '89 cd earlier (just for fun as Im going listen to the new remaster when I get home).
    That cd also has nice dynamic-range rating of 12 (I checked it from Foobar Dynamic Range Range addon).
    Maybe I will do some little comparison between the new vinyl to my '89 vinyl edition also.
    Anyways, looking forward to listening all the stuff in the box and get fully immersed.
    And have to make some damn good coffee aswell.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    sassi and Clanceman like this.
  21. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Got the LP from amazon.co.uk and played it today. First impressions are good. It's pressed very quiet but when cranked it sounds huge. This copy is the same as others are reporting (CB, P.USA in deadwax). I'm having a replacement sent as there is some kind of weird ''clump of dust/glitter'' looking thing imprinted into the LP on side A. Not sure what this defect is called but I have seen it before, it's not non-fill but does give a similar ''scrape'' sound. Otherwise it's a nice press, centered, flat and rest of the surface looks clean. It also plays quiet too.

Did a quick comparison with my MFN '87 45rpm copy and to me I slightly preferred the newer 2017. I'm not hearing any loss of details and it's just as punchy cranked. The 2017 sounds much better balanced to me overall, makes the MFN sound a tad bright and edgy.

luxen, izombie73, Clanceman and 4 others like this.
  22. TubularBell

TubularBell Forum Resident

Just got the 3cd version. Booklet says that the original version of (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth from disc 3 was originally released on Master of Puppets...

Clanceman likes this.
  23. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

Just unboxed my copy. Wow, what a beauty. Hmm, no download card. Also, no mention of it on the hype sticker nor on the back of the box etc. Maybe the EU boxes do not have one? I got number 13721. :)

Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just finished listening to the main album on vinyl. Wow, really good sounding mastering and near perfect pressing. Also, both records of Live at the Aragon Ballroom look visually immaculate. :edthumbs:

luxen, Jaap74, hvbias and 10 others like this.
  24. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

Damn, wish I'd seen it at that price! It's 170 there now...

panicproject likes this.
  25. You do know this is an audiophile's forum, eh? I'd be surprised if half the people here who bought the set ever move on from comparing the remasters against every other copy out there. :)

jc1303, Soundslave, Dorian75 and 2 others like this.