At last! The STEELY DAN Album-By-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Sep 8, 2017.

1. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!" Thread Starter

Sunken Condos is my second favourite Fagen solo record after The Nightfly. I like the looser approach he took on the record- not as smooooooooth as Morph or the two 21st Century Danalbums were. "Memorabilia" is the only song I'm not crazy about, with "I'm Not The Same Without You" and "Weather In My Head" being my favourites. "Miss Marlene", as mentioned earlier, reminds me a lot of "I.G.Y.".

My biggest regret about the album is that Donald didn't get Becker involved and turn it into a final Steely Dan project.

"Weather In My Head", from the Letterman show:

2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Good album, and a pleasant listen. Despite the presence of nuclear enthusiasts on ‘Memoribilia’ and the sad tale of ‘Miss Marlene’, you could almost call this breezy. Saying that, I don’t think there’s much that would trouble a Steely Dan album, besides ‘Weather In My Head’ and ‘Planet d’Rhonda’.

The Isaac Hayes retooling is pretty neat as a nod to his Jewish heritage.

Minus points for indulging Michael Leonhart in his drumming fantasies (fantasies because he’s not a suitable drummer) and not using Carlock throughout.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    ohnothimagen likes this.
  3. ohnothimagen

Indeed, Leonhart's drumming-sorry, "Earl Cooke Jr"- is the weak link on the album but at the same time the loose feel kinda fits. I mean, Donald Fagen is the same guy who utilized a f--king computer to tweak human drumbeats down to the millisecond for many years...and now here he is basically using a non-drummer in the drummer's role. Times change, eh?:laugh: No, I don't mind Leonheart's drumming -it sort of reminds me of the loose feel Richard Manuel gave some of The Band's songs when he played drums instead of Levon Helm. That said, of course, Keith Carlock would have been nice but his precision and heavier style might have been too much for these songs (possibly why Fagen opted for Leonheart instead).

audiotom and Musicisthebest like this.
  4. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I like this album a lot, especially Memorabilia, Weather in My Head and Slinky Thing. Good Stuff sounds like funky Springsteen and - to be honest - I find it a bit embarrassing from Fagen.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  5. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

whether it's in my head or not - the Al Gore reference was off putting

I recall substituting my own words in there - but can't remember what they were

"but it ain't done yet?"

Planet D'Rhonda has a lot of spunk - like Security Joan

ohnothimagen likes this.
  6. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Yeah I miss Walter Becker too. It's been a pleasure doing this and thinking back to when I first saw him late last year at the Beacon Theatre rocking the house with Steely Dan. Knowing that he was a Bardian and that we went to the same tiny college in upstate NY made me feel close to him but going through the music and lyrics he helped commit to the catalog and his solo records really has wowed me more than ever as the thread's analysis grew more intense. Just amazing minds and Becker's creativity was more than I ever gave him credit for.

Gardo and ohnothimagen like this.
  7. WilliamWes

Hey no problem, thanks for the mention, and I'm going to post my overall ratings again so they're in one place plus I'll do a few more writeups for "Dallas", "Sail to the Westway", "Here At the Western World", "Bodhisattva" (live), and "FM (No Static At All)" this week when we finish Sunken Condos. I never addressed them but needless to say I like them all. I am just about spent but those songs are worth doing and I probably should have done them when we were up to them. I'll also do a quick review for Alive in America when we get up to it.

I'm having too much fun with you guys to resist coming back here all the time. One of my favorite threads in my 2 years here.

Gardo likes this.
  8. WilliamWes

I know a lot of people don't like computers in music, but being on the cutting edge or being aware of the cutting edge, whatever it may be shows that they were not some nostalgia-only artists but people that expected and embraced change. They were so technical that a computer, a Fagen and a Becker do match up. I'd almost expect them to embrace new technology. I can't blame them for trying to stay relevant throughout the years. It may not have worked for every song every time, but I commend them for trying.

9. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I like Sunken Condos much much better than Morph the Cat. I'm hoping that he takes his current band, the Nightflyers, and records a new solo album with them. They are insanely talented.

10. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more. 'Slinky Thing' and 'Weather In My Head' are both Dan-ish enough to fit in nicely on late classic 7 period. Parts of 'Weather' remind me a little of 'Home At Last,' for example.

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Just bought the Dan Uncut special. Well worth it, but you're bound to disagree with some of the ratings. Way too hard on Circus Money, methinks. On the other hand, it's not a hagiographic ass-kiss like the Joni Mitchell one...

12. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Everything you did

male reproductive fluids

what is this?

13. drewslo

drewslo Forum Resident

"Sunken Condos" is my second favorite Fagen album (behind "Morph"). Highlights for me are "I'm Not The Same Without You", "Memorabilia", "Weather In My Head" and "Miss Marlene" (for some reason I don't hear any similarity to "IGY" on this).
    Hopefully this won't be his last release!

ohnothimagen likes this.
  14. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

You can’t type that word on Hoffman!
    What the hell is going on here?

15. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

:D

I have always disliked that song so much that I never paid attention to what they were singing.

16. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Sunken Condos isn't just my favorite solo Fagen record, it's just under The Royal Scam, Aja, and Countdown To Ecstasy as my favorite Dan-related album ever. Always been surprised that it got such a lukewarm reception. There's nothing to not love here.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  17. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

ditto

18. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I have been regularly reading this thread (and making one or 2 contributions) since its early days following Walter's death. I realise it is ongoing (and wish it well) but want to thank the contributors for the education I have received in all things Steely Dan. I regarded myself as a fan (with Cant' Buy, Pretzel Logic, Aja, 2VN and EMG and a couple of compilations in my collection, plus an lp of the Nightfly), but have been encouraged to go on a deeper dive - and am loving the experience. I am currently exploring Countdown on repeated plays having just done Katy Lied for a couple of weeks, next is The Royal Scam and then Morph the Cat picked up yesterday. Gaucho to follow. My daneducation will continue. Thanks all.

Gardo, DavidD, richarm and 4 others like this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Just wish it was a collectors edition thick paper, as is its brilliant.

20. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

No question... definitely a case of "repurposing" a chord sequence....just like New York, New York... a sequence so nice, they used it twice! :)

audiotom and Musicisthebest like this.
  21. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Nice to see all the love for Sunken Condos in this thread-I've been revisiting this album a lot lately and it grows in my estimation with each listen.

22. ohnothimagen

Amen to that, brother!:cheers:
    Indeed- and clearly they took the technology as far as they could, with varying results...what I find hilarious is how they practically changed their whole approach and reverted back tot eh warm, analog, live in the studio approach almost overnight, it seems.
    Yep- I only heard the one audience recording of a Nightflyers gig but they are a damn good bad. Not gonna lie- it was sort of refreshing to hear Fagen fronting a band that wasn't the usual suspect Steely Dan alumni...sorta like Neil Young with Promise Of The Real.
    Yes...not, mind you, that I was aware of a lot of bad reception regarding Sunken Condos.
    Still waiting for my copy...
    Yer welcome...this discussion has been a bit of an education for all of us, I think. Easy way to spend a few bucks too:laugh:

OptimisticGoat and WilliamWes like this.
  23. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

musicarus likes this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Strange no UMG collectors edition like Tom Waits. Guess the actor musician is better known.

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It took a decade for "Kamakarid" to grow on me, so, maybe i'll "get" Sunken Condos" in about as long.