BRIAN ENO- New reissues double lps 45rpm August 4th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

If you would be so kind, that’d be great so I can make absolutely sure. I’ll listen again when I get home tonight; this time on headphones, too.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  2. And I get that, I do. But back in in 1964 when Paul's voice cracked on a version of If I Fell and in 1965 when that one bass note dropped out from Day Tripper, I worried about perfection since. But again, that's just me. :tiphat:

3. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

I get that, but it always seems to be in the vinyl 180g reissue scenario where problems are not discussed or compared, but dismissed as madness or attract inferences about not caring about the music. I rarely see that dismissal happening in CD or digital contexts here. It seems to be a slightly creepy phenomenon of certain factions of the pricey 180g buying brigade. Not you I hasten to add. You probably don’t want my love or like, but love your posts even when I disagree :)

4. BlueSpeedway

Will do it in a minute. I’m giving my 33s away but still have them at the moment. I’m genuinely interested and not wanting to spoil your listening enjoyment. I’ve made several pro Warm Jets 33rpm posts despite preferring my 1970s LPs and the 2004 CD, as it’a good new release of a fantastic album. But I found Mountain not so I’m afraid.

5. BlueSpeedway

It’s from circa 1.01 - 1.06. The right channel significantly drops / flickers in and out for those five seconds. It’s totally in your face on headphones, for me not dismissable at all, much as I’d like to, maybe not so much on speakers. Apart from that, the song actually sounds very good, unlike (IMO) some of the other Mountain songs.

6. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

For someone that is not familiar with these albums, is Another Green World the best place to start?

I like the first two Roxy Music albums and Eno's collaborations with Bowie and U2.

7. BlueSpeedway

I’d get all four, in order. Probably not the answer your wallet wants! But if one, then 1975’s Another Green World is one of Low’s “parents”, so yes I’d go for that.

But.... Side One of Here Come the Warm Jets is IMO a contender for best non-standard or “unconventional” “rock” album side ever. Only a Velvet Underground or Neu! album side could beat it for me...

8. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

I’d start at the beginning. Here Come the Warm Jets.

baconbadge, ad180, Leviathan and 2 others like this.
  9. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

AGW is maybe the most essential as a record (it’s a very complete, distinct work) but it’s also the “missing link” transition piece from his early art rock material to his ambient music.
    Before & After Science, which was made later, is a bit of a regression to his older style, but the rhythms are more complex and I’d recommend it to Can and Talking Heads fans.
    If you are more into rhythmic rock music rather than tunes that are atmospheric and dreamlike then all the other records in this campaign will better suit you than AGW, but if you like shoegaze, ethereal, and ambient it’s where I would go. I can’t stress enough that they are all excellent, however.

Norco74, Leviathan and BlueSpeedway like this.
  10. BlueSpeedway

Eno’s first ambient work (Discreet Music) was conceived and recorded before Another Green World, so the latter’s quieter times are almost a continuation, rather than a transition?

Not sure I’d agree about Science being a regression. Side Two slowly falls into complete ambient, with one track even dedicated to fellow ambient pioneer Harold Budd whose Pavillion of Dreams album Eno would soon put out on his Obscure record label, and would a year or so later start making Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror with.

11. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

I suppose a better way of putting it is that B&AS definitely shows his gained skill and influences, but its most energetic moments are far more upbeat than anything on AGW and better resemble his first two records.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  12. BlueSpeedway

Yes you’re right. It’s a long time since I first heard them. But I do remember being surprised how bouncy much of Side One of Science was! I heard these four fully for the first time in a slightly off sequence though: Tiger Mountain first, then Warm Jets, then Green, then Science. Come to think of it I owned / heard the two Fripp and Eno 1973 / 1975 albums before I heard Green and Science. I had forgotten that.

13. BlueSpeedway

Upbeat makes me think, and it’s a bit off topic and probably boring, but it’s odd only Bowie, Iggy etc are talked about as the forerunners of UK late 70s post punk / goth like Bauhaus and Joy Division. Eno made some very sinister music long before Iggy’s The Idiot was made and long before he got involved with Bowie: An Index of Metals, The Great Pretender, Sombre Reptiles, In Dark Trees and more. Bauhaus were huge Eno fans, not just of his “rock” work (their singer Peter Murphy, the so called “godfather of goth”, has listed Music For Airports in his top 10 albums of all time), and their fabulous 1982 cover of Third Uncle was probably the first major acknowledgement of Eno’s “underground” influence on punk etc, long before he was realised to be the colossally important and influential figure he is rightly regarded as in more recent years.

And there aren’t many less upbeat, more coldly frightening vocals than Eno’s on his original Third Uncle.... spine-chilling stuff IMO...

jimhb, Michael D and Paul Middleton like this.
  14. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Why are you so annoyed by a misunderstanding? :shrug:

15. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I will repeat myself from previous pages. I have most of Eno’s albums and AGW is the one that gets played the most. A good portfolio of his past and future trends. HCTWJ anf TTMBS are equally excellent. I have a preference for TTMBS. For whatever reason, I am less attracted by BAAS but nevertheless it’s a very good album.

Leviathan likes this.
  16. Paul Middleton

Paul Middleton Forum Resident

Ooh, I LOVE that cover version. Great stuff.

BlueSpeedway and Norco74 like this.
  17. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

And the cover of Ziggy as well...

18. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Well dip me in dog mess. You are right; it is there in that spot. And, you're also right that I didn't even notice it initially when blasting it through the speakers. After hearing it on the headphones, I played it again without them, and I could kinda hear it in the speakers, but hardly noticeable; it sounded more like it was just a flicker/disappearance of the "noise" you hear through the speakers when you have the analogue output (compared to any other output) selected, but not like any actual music dropped off. So, I'll definitely have to take back what I initially said earlier about "no dropouts". But, I will say that I didn't notice them at all at first, and think I'll be just fine playing and enjoying this pressing from here on out.

BlueSpeedway, ad180 and Mazzy like this.
  19. Paul Middleton

Paul Middleton Forum Resident

Indeed.

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I'm not:hugs:

ad180 likes this.
  21. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Before And After Science is the most accessible of the first four - to me anyway.
    It's also a huge step up after the first two, sonically, from my experience with the original four on vinyl, and original cd, and remastered cds both Japan and Europe.

But if you love early Roxy Music, definitely start at the beginning - Here Come The Warm Jets.
    And check out the playing card on the cover. The title has something to do with that.

First I have to admit I haven't heard the new vinyl remasters.
    But again, from my experience with all of the original vinyl and cds, the sound quality was never great on the first two.
    At least on my system.

Taking Tiger Mountain is a great album, but I've never heard a vinyl pressing (UK 2nd issue and German original) that sounded more than a little laid back and warm. It's sparkle is only here and there, and I don't think it sounds as good on cd because of that. It seems it was never meant to sound like the cds.
    The digital versions sound too goosed up.

So if the new vinyl remaster of Tiger doesn't sound "audiophile" that may be a good thing - as neither was the original vinyl (from those pressings I've mentioned).

Another Green World is in a league of it's own.
    If you can find an original UK, German or Japan pressing, and your system has the chops, it's really something.

I had no idea how amazing sounding it was until I heard it on a superb system. So much more going on with this recording.
    Like the painting on the cover - you wont see the detail on the cd inserts. But when you look at the beautiful vinyl cover...you see much more.
    It was reissued back in the 90's as part of a series called Linn Select with a blue Linn sticker. I wish I had bought it.
    The snoots at Singer Sound in NYC (it wasn't considered "serious" music) were snubbing it...until they heard it.
    The same for the Linn Select reissue of Yazoo's Upstairs At Eric's. A real surprise. Audiophile as well.
    Btw, none of these reissues were pressed by Linn.

I tell ya - Green World is audiophile - and worth listening to on a great system.
    Even if you have to bring it to a friend's or hi fi store to experience it.

I hope the new remaster does it justice.
    Someone compare their original with the new one!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    soundQman and Norco74 like this.
  22. BlueSpeedway

Thanks for taking the trouble. And I take back my use of “dud” to describe the new Mountain. That’s too subjective, and despite the problems on the title track and Great Pretender meaning it could never be a version of complete use to me, it’s not necessarily a write off.

On a different angle, the mastering choices... as is often the case, certain tracks have benefitted, others not so much (like the earlier mentioned Baby’s On Fire). A benefit example for me would be China My China, which on my 33 sounds very, very cool. Where the increased bass has created a slightly too boomy Baby’s On Fire for me, the increase has IMO improved China: the bassy synth squelch rhythm pulse thing sounds fantastic.

I think I’ll be keeping the 33s after all. I might make a neededrop mash up one day for Mountain, using some tracks from 1970s copies and definitely China from the 2017.

Jerry James likes this.
  23. BlueSpeedway

I still haven’t opened copies of Green or Science after a few days, but might have a go at Green later today (it’s 6am in the UK). I used to have two different 1970s UK pressings, but only have the first UK press now. Would be nice to read your thoughts as you’re a deep fan of the album!

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  24. BlueSpeedway

Have you ever tried making a mash up of tracks from Science and favourite tracks from the almost concurrent Eno Moebius Roedelius vocal/instrumental After the Heat album? It can make a really great alternative Eno 1977-8 album. I usually miss out Here He Comes, for example. It’s a beautiful song, I just preferred it on its own, pretending it was a non album 45 or something!

My Side Two Science “replacement” starts with the IMO fabulous After the Heat tracks Base and Apex, The Belldog, and Broken Head...

Norco74 likes this.
  25. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

The Belldog is one of my favs. I think it would work perfectly on Science - if it had better sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.