MoviePass Drops to $9.95 a Month For a Movie a Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. mds

mds Forum Resident

Not a good sign.

RayS and audiomixer like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Photograph the stub anyway. Vickie has done that and been reimbursed for films she has had to pay for with her debit card.

It sounds like your local theater isn't making it easy for MoviePass or anyone else to get their showtimes. You might talk to the manager and let them know they are losing money. I don't know how the times get to either Fandango or MoviePass, but as bad as theaters are doing these days, it's just dumb to neglect any avenue to customers.

3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

Yes, I was compensated like that on a previous occasion. These days, I simply get no response from customer service, at all. Literally none.

Having lived in and near some serious movie theater hubs all my life, I am now in a movie desert - literally one theater within 45 minutes drive. It seems like they just don't care whether they stay in business or not.

4. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Disagree - sometimes a crowd reaction makes a movie less funny!

Example: I saw "Home Alone" 2X in theaters. The first showing was a matinee with a sparse crowd and I enjoyed it - didn't love it, but was entertained/amused.

2nd time was at a second-run theater and it was packed. The crowd went wild with laughter and it became an actual turnoff.

The crowd reaction was so over the top (IMO) that it harmed the comedy - I spent more time thinking "geez, it's not that funny" than laughing!

6. RayS

There was a group of people cackling their heads off to the trailer for "Snatched" (the recent Goldie Hawn exercise in submentality) in a theater I was in, and I took it as a sign of impending End Times.

Oatsdad likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Yeah, I've seen that happen - people laugh at trailers that look really terrible!

I would agree in general that laughter is infectious and a comedy works better in a group, but exceptions do occur - the fact I still remember that "Home Alone" screening 27 years later shows that! :)

8. Chris DeVoe

I'm not into slapstick, and there will be people laughing at that stuff when I'm not, so I can see that. But generally speaking, I still think comedy is better with a crowd. We saw the musical version of The Producers in an almost empty theater, and it seemed like Nathan Lane and the cast were playing for the rafters. We didn't find it funny, but I suspected that if we had seen it in a crowded one it might have been.

9. Oatsdad

There I agree - but you said always better! :)

My "Home Alone" experience was interesting because it's not the material itself that was the turn-off - it's not like I simply hated the movie, as I'd already seen it and enjoyed it.

It really was the over-the-top reaction of the crowd that became the turn-off!

10. Chris DeVoe

It's definitely always better for me.

11. Oatsdad

Make up your mind!!! :laugh:

12. Chris DeVoe

...says the owner of the best dogs ever.

13. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I hope MoviePass is still around in the mid-2020s, after I retire. I’ll be looking for ways to fill all my free time, and this program will help me save money in the process.

14. RayS

So is "Check In If Movie Missing" now playing in every theater on the app?

mrjinks likes this.
  15. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I saw Blazing Saddles yesterday (which I would never have gone to had I not had a Movie Pass), and it was a small crowd but they laughed quite loud at every gag. Felt almost like a laugh track on a TV show.

16. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I've used mine once since I got it. Would have used it twice - but the theater I like with the biggest non-Imax screen in town is no longer available in the app. (It's a "Titan XC" screen so it's excluded now.)

I think I'll just cancel Moviepass - I don't like going to theaters anymore and even low cost isn't making me want to go back.

If i watched a lot of films and didn't care about screen size or sound, it'd be a good deal - but it's not for me.

17. RayS

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that "Blazing Saddles" wasn't blacked out on the MP app as a "special presentation" (Fathom Events showings of vintage films are never available, at least not in my experience).

Chris DeVoe and mmars982 like this.
  18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm seeing 2 movies a week and loving it.

Great deal....

benjaminhuf likes this.
  19. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Now $6.95/month billed annually.

supermd likes this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

That's starting to freak me out.

21. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Must need a cash infusion (getting people to pay a year upfront). It won't last, but I'm taking full advantage!

22. Oatsdad

Yeah, the "billed annually" thing kind scares me away. What if they bill me tomorrow and then go belly up a month from now?

Jrr likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Here in Chicago, I could see $89.95 worth of movies in a week.

RayS likes this.
  24. mds

mds Forum Resident

Its a gamble but $10 or less lost for the ability to watch a half dozen or more movies a month for that price seems like a worthwhile gamble. If you go a half a year and then they go belly up and you loose that last months fee, I don't see that as much of a loss.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

I could do the same here, but I won't - I could probably average 2 movies a week if I worked on it.

$90 would be about 7 movies a week!