The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Has anyone opted for the Amazon exclusive Long Strange Trip soundtrack? The 6LP is currently £87.45 inc. import fees + £5.23 postage (even though I'm a Prime member). Basically, is it worth over £90. I think I know the answer. The double LP on the other hand is currently £17, so is the 3CD.

Freebird likes this.
  2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Man, I may be a millennial but I don't go for all this techno-gizzard hipster gadgetry. :D

99 Pete or bust! :)

bzfgt, nitsuj, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Yes, it was Lindley Meadows in September where he broke out the Travis Bean with the GD, I didn't know if he used it earlier with the JGB but it appears not.

4. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I don't own any version of it, but I can't think that having it on vinyl would be worth over 90 pounds (or the 94 bucks it costs on amazon in the US right now). From the track list, my view is that it pulls way too much from the Cornell release and other official releases. I'd prefer So Many Roads if you're looking for a career spanning overview which can be had in certain places for not much more than the CD version of the soundtrack is going for (and has two more discs and much less overlap with other releases).

sparkmeister likes this.
  5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Watching Dear Jerry. Jimmy Cliff is doing a great job with The harder they come.

nitsuj, notesofachord and US Blues like this.
  6. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Finished 4/16, I’d put it with the other great shows from E72 (a step below 4/8 and 5/26).

Onward to 4/17/72!

adamos and budwhite like this.
  7. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Agree with you on the Cornell tracks, especially as I forked out for the vinyl version of that.

I heard they were limited to 2500. If that’s the case and they’re still available, that probably tells you all you need to know.

SBegonias17 likes this.
  8. ishkabibble

ishkabibble Forum Resident

Not to be snarky, but there's a reason for that...

carville, bzfgt, nitsuj and 3 others like this.
  9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Why yes, he wrote it!

nitsuj, RockRoom, DrLunchbox and 2 others like this.
  10. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

On to night two in Passaic, for 6/18/1976. This is quite an improvement on night one, even if set one was pretty uneventful outside of "Crazy Fingers" and "Mission".

Set two really takes off with the extended sequence that encompasses "St. Stephen > NFA > St. Stephen > Eyes > Drums > The Wheel". No, it's not an all-time sequence, but it shakes some of the setlist funk off that had been settling in over the past few shows. They heard me through the winds of time and moved the "Drums" segment!

For the record, for a change of pace on my end, I listened to Jimmy Warburton's AUD for this instead of the Download Series version. It's not the greatest sounding AUB of all time, but it's nice to pick up the audience vibe now and then. According to the setbreak stage announcements, I'm stoked to go see Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow soon!

US Blues and budwhite like this.
  11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I was just checking some Swamp Thing comics on the internet and found this:
    [​IMG]

ruben lopez, bzfgt, nitsuj and 9 others like this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There was an announcement like that in a show I heard recently, 3/26/73 Baltimore. Alice Cooper and Humble Pie were going to play there soon.

GuidedByJonO))) and US Blues like this.
  13. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Just like Wolfman Jack...

Billy_Sunday and pbuzby like this.
  14. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I LOVE Sunrise. Saw Teresa Williams sing it with Furthur at Radio City some years back, simply stunning.

budwhite likes this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I know I am probably in the minority on my opinion of 6/9/77. It's a good show, but it's also a very strong year with plenty of better ones. A good soundboard circulated widely for ages, which is a significant factor in the Deadbase ranking. I doubt that most of the people who ranked it that highly had also listened to, say, 6/4/77.

nitsuj and RockRoom like this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

"Sunrise" is lovely, and it worked better when played live.

budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  17. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

You may be right, though that Deadbase ranking comes from a very small sample, I kind of regard it as a survey of some of the most dedicated and invested fans so maybe presume a bit of insider knowledge.

On the other hand, I've always kind of looked askance at that survey precisely because 1977 is generally rated so highly. The entire 'disco' era was held a bit suspect when I was younger, and for whatever reason 78 tapes were more commonly traded around where I was than 77. And though it's a natural extension of what I was exposed to (the seeds of blasphemy were planted early on by Red Rocks and by the first set of 4-16-78,) I didn't become a full initiate of the 78>77 heresy until I started hanging around here.

I love Sunrise, Garcia really goes all out on it (a lot of the time anyway,) and even if you don't like it, at least it's short.

In my mind I think of Garcia's 'rock star' tone he gets out of 78 wolf, I will have to hear some 77s and compare the two.

18. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Archtop, what do you think of Phil's soloing in 1973ish and thereabouts? I am not always that into it. I always mostly loved the Dark Star from 2/15/1973, but I also always felt it petered out into a meandering and pointless bass solo. I haven't heard it in seven years or so, so I'm re-evaluating it right now. I'm curious what you think since you're a bass player and also opinionated.

Right now this sounds OK as long as he stops soon...Jerry's coming in no sooner than I typed that, maybe it's not that bad...

US Blues and Archtop like this.
  19. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

7/12/89 - Excellent show from start to finish. Great example of '89 GD firing on all cylinders.

7/13/89 - Solid show for sure but nothing to write home about. The post-space was the most interesting part of the show to me.

Wondering why both shows were released. I mean, yeah, I get the fact of back to back shows in the same venue make for a nice set. The 12th will definitely get more plays than the 13th in the 'Bowl home.

20. bzfgt

Do they really do a good job on that Cosmic Charlie? I haven't heard that show in many years and I'm not likely to reach for it soon, as 1976 snoozes me out. But of course that's the grossest of generalizations and there is great stuff from that year. I'm curious because I did listen to a June 1976 Cosmic Charlie recently (but I don't think this is the one, unless I'm wrong and it's the only one in June or something) and it sounded quite pointless. I fact, I don't think I ever heard a version of Cosmic Charlie that did much for me, but it's not played in any of the years I usually focus on, so maybe I'm missing something?

To be honest, I think CC is an OK song but I never thought it was all that exciting, but if they ever actually did play a hot version that could definitely change my outlook, hence my curiosity. Sometimes I have a hard time telling what you're actually saying though, as your song reviews sometimes run in the direction of..."A perfectly fine version of X ensues that doesn't really stand out in any way. Jerry's solo is ON FIRE...oh my god, my face is melting off! After this mediocre version of X..." etc.

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. bzfgt

If anyone asked me, "What's with this Grateful Dead stuff? What do they do?" I don't think I could do any better than play them the third disc from Dick's Picks 31, 8/6/1974: Eyes (my current favorite version), Playing (my current favorite version)>Scarlet>Playing>UJB. This to me is the Dead at their absolute best. It's a perfect balance between structured jamming and good songs (although Playing as a song is no better than OK, the jamming more than makes up for the near-drabness of the actual song). And anyone who fancies herself a fan of Phil gets the best the band has to offer here.

In fact I totally understand the controversy over the new Dave because, although I am a Jerry fanatic, I think as much as--or probably even more than--anything else, Phil's bass playing IS the sound of the Grateful Dead.

I have no idea how things get crossed out or how to uncross them.

ianuaditis likes this.
  22. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

They really do a great job on this CC. I'm not big on it either, but this one jumped out at me. Enough that I'd put it as a highligh of the set. :)

bzfgt likes this.
  23. bzfgt

OK, I'm heading to the Archive as we speak...

Stone Turntable and warewolf95 like this.
  24. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

my favorite Phil 73 solo is the 2/24/73 one. There seems to be some sort of quad effect going on which gives it a unique sound - I don't know exactly what was going on but it's pretty cool.

US Blues, nitsuj, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Jeffrey Norman generously took the time to answer my email question about HDCD following some recent back-and-forth on this thread, and he’s backing up all you guys I was second-guessing about HDCD players not providing better-than-standard-Red-Book sound on recent Dead CD releases. Here’s what he told me:

"Sorry this took a few days, but thanks for your email and question….and for the nice compliment.

"Those people commenting about the lack of some of HDCD’s options are actually correct. I used to use Peak Extension, which allowed extended dynamic range for those with a HDCD decoder. I never used it with more than a +2dB (it can be up to +6dB) I just didn’t like what it was doing with more than 2 dB gain. However after the Europe ’72 release I believe, I started getting complaints from people that were listening on some devices without HDCD decode that the level was too low. I’m fairly certain there aren’t many HDCD devices out in the world, and I really wanted these releases to work well on all devices, so I stopped using Peak Extension. I thought it was more important that the sound and level be consistent for all. I did use the Limit function of the Model 2 for awhile while creating the final HDCD file (the 24 to 16 process), but there were some things that would crop up infrequently that I didn’t like so I found another limiter that I like, and that’s been in use for a couple of years. I try to balance between competitive volume and good dynamics, and generally will always side on more dynamics rather than louder releases. I think it’s been more consistent the last couple of years as I’ve refined what I do.

"Peak Extension was never the main reason I used the Pacific Microsonics Model 2 (HDCD) converter. To this day, I love the conversion sound (analog to digital, and digital to analog), in fact I don’t really think of it having a ‘sound', it just sounds like the analog source. With a tape source like the Dave’s Picks series I do the mastering (equalization and/or compression) in the analog domain before converting to high res digital (192khz/24b) to do editing and CD prep. If the source is digital, like it is for most clients, I still most always master using my analog equipment. With digital source I rely on the Model 2 to get from digital > analog. Once the edits are done, I use the Model 2 to get from 24bits to 16 bits and to create the file sent to CD replication. This is a long way of saying, I use the Model 2 in most every step along the way, and am still very happy with the results.

"Btw, I’m not even a 'foremost authority' I am still learning stuff every day…seriously! I truly appreciate the compliment and that you’re happy with what you’re hearing. I fret over just about every project I work on, so again…thanks."​

To which I then replied:

"A zillion thanks for kindly taking the time to respond to my question so thoroughly and forthrightly, in a way that clarifies the issue for me. Super helpful!

"Based on what you’re saying, I’ll go out on a limb with a bit of unsolicited fan’s advice and suggest that you guys should probably consider retiring the HDCD labeling on future releases. It’s obviously not an issue affecting sound quality, but insofar as the ongoing HDCD branding may be creating a tiny quotient of confusion (like mine) out there in Grateful Dead land, maybe dropping it is a good idea. For example, on the forums I occasionally see people asking if they need to acquire an HDCD-capable player to get the most out of official Dead CD releases, and it would be cool if those people knew they’re not missing out on anything by not having HDCD gear."​