Recommend a boombox that plays files via USB stick

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Digital-G, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member Thread Starter

The title pretty much says it all. I guess a CD player would be nice but not essential - I've never had a portable radio (boombox) where the CD player lasted for more than a few months. (Do people still come them boomboxes?)

Happened to be at Walmart and the guy in the electronics dept told me it's pretty standard on all portable radios. However, they only had 1 with that feature out of 6 or 7 portables. Go figure.

Anyway, looking to spend US $60 or so.

Thanks,

2. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member Thread Starter

C'mon, anyone?

3. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Probably the best you'll get in your price range is one of these QuantumFX faux retro boomboxes:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Why not just get a portable Bluetooth speaker and play the files from a smartphone, Alexa or whatever?

displayname and wvsteveo like this.
  5. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

Believe it or not, not everyone owns a smartphone.:wtf:

I'd also be interested in a decent boombox with USB input. Unfortunately, almost all of the ones that I've seen have been no-name junk like the one shown above.

This one looks like it might be promising, at least it is a recognizable brand: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Portable-Boombox-Presets-Headphone/dp/B011CUSX3C/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510896363&sr=1-17&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:2887780011

klockwerk likes this.
  6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

If you computer or laptop has Bluetooth, it could also connect to a Bluetooth speaker.

The reason why I'm suggesting a Bluetooth speaker is because there aren't many if any decent boomboxes out there anymore, as you've noticed.

This gigantic Sony sounds pretty good, especially for the price, and it can play LOUD. I believe it'll play files from a USB stick. I don't think it'll work off batteries though - has to be plugged in.

Great for parties.

BayouTiger likes this.
  7. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

The idea of a boombox is generally to be portable. Having a bluetooth speaker being fed by your computer doesn't exactly sound portable. I don't know if you are referring to the Sony in my previous post or not, but the one in my post will run on batteries and it's hardly gigantic, going by the specs they give.

8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

If you're set on a boombox then your choices are pretty limited. I haven't seen any in years that I thought sounded halfway decent.

9. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

Get the Sony. It's in your price range. I think Panasonic has one too?

10. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

But there’s lots of really great Bluetooth speakers and most have an auxiliary input. Then there’s lots of portable players at every price point. Or hit up a family member that has recently got a shiny new smartphone and get their hand me down. An old iPhone is a great music player and be bought for pennies on the dollar. Also check the local pawn shops. They generally have lots of old iPods for next to nothing.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Had a great boombox in the eighties with detachable speakers. The last cool ones I seen was in the nineties 1992. I would get a modern one they usually come with Bluetooth, but no cassette option if I could find with with good quality build, aesthetic retro design I'd get one.

12. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I run an iPod (Classic 160) to powered speakers. Portable enough.

13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

14. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

I don't know if you get them in USA but Roberts make quite nice portable radios (DAB/FM) which play FLAC and MP3 off a USB stick.

They also have an aux in and stream files from a DLNA server or internet radio via Wifi/Ethernet and the latest ones have Spotify Connect built in so you're covered for everything really (apart from CDs).

They don't exactly look like boomboxes though (smaller and the appearance is a little more "restrained") and they eat batteries (well mine does). Sound isn't too bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.