Mistakes in songs.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kaztor, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

How do you know it's not an intentional change vs. a mistake?

I believe Eddie Hazel does the same lyric as Karen in his version of that song.
    It always sounded awkward to me.

My guess is he had to add 'for' to make his lyric idea scan. I suppose he's not the first lyricist in history to add a nonsense particle for that purpose, (it was ubiquitous in rap music for a while, maybe still is,) and it depends on your theory and application of poetics, but to me it's not the best execution. (But I've also never written a hit song.)

Dodoz likes this.
  2. kch27

kch27 Forum Resident

For the record, the phrase is "alligator lizards in the air," not "the sky."
    Also (according to Wikipedia) Dewey Bunnell has said that the lyric "alligator lizards in the air" in the song is a reference to the shapes of clouds in the sky he saw in 1963 while his family was driving down the coast from Vandenberg Air Force Base near Lompoc, California, where they had a flat tire. (I used to think "alligator lizards" was a made-up term, but it's actually a specific type of lizard.) While his father changed the tire, he and his brother stood by the side of the road and watched the clouds and saw a road sign that said "Ventura."

Lost In The Flood and izgoblin like this.
  3. I as well

4. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I just checked it out, it's hilarious! :laugh:

5. I like her songs and that one, and sadly you're right- it is hilarious. And one of the most outrageous sore thumbs sticking out in pop or rock music history

6. Einar Einarsson Kvaran

Einar Einarsson Kvaran King of his castle

There are (I don't think anyone has mentioned this) the famously out-of-tune horns on Percy Sledge's "When a Man Loves a Woman" The story is that the tapes were sent to Atlantic in NY (I think) who sent them back to Muscle Shoals and said, "This is out-of-tune, re-do it. So they all went back in the studio, re-cut the track but could never get the feeling of the first session, so sent that back to Atlantic with a note that said, "We fixed it" and it was released like that.

Carl LaFong and izgoblin like this.
  7. Uncle P

Uncle P New Member

It's hardly a myth, and I certainly don't think Gilmour etc were looking to exploit Syd's illness - tbh I doubt they even understood it properly at the time. I think the idea was to take a 'warts and all' approach, in the hope that capturing all the errors and tics on record would achieve a unique 'vibe' and an insight into Syd's 'idiosyncratic' creative process. Really, though, what they allow is a rather depressing - and at times disturbing - glimpse into a mind and talent that are rapidly disintegrating. The 'mistakes' on these albums are frankly too numerous - and too tragic in their root cause - to be worth discussing.

izgoblin likes this.
  8. Uncle P

Uncle P New Member

Then why not use "there" instead of "for"? I think he uses "for" to make the line sound a bit more folksy/western-y.

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Maybe. Though it typically means 'in order to' in that usage.

(E.g. I'm going to Louisiana, my true love for to see.)

10. The man had serious problems, but he was at his worst when these guys and the managers were pushing him around, and they were trying to capitalize on the "myth" he was stone cold crazy. The title of the album, the disorientation on the latter half of side 2. Just because you have mental problems to begin with, then blow your your mind out, does not make you some train wreck maniac. I've studied him and the situation for 30 years, and for the most part when he was left alone, he lived a peaceful life and was just himself. Just because he was different, does not make him a looney tune or crazy. He was just simply rebelling and uncomfortable around these people he saw as enemies and exploiting him. So yes, it is a "myth."

11. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

In the same way it never stuck out to you, it was the same for me. When I read about it, I listened out for it more closely and it gives me a little chortle every time I hear the song now!

12. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Thant may actually be by design.

GregM likes this.
  13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Joan Baez blows the beginning of the second verse here and substitutes humming:

Dodoz likes this.
  14. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

Here's Richard's admission on the mistake of "began to pray" vs. "pretend to pray".

Carpenters •• California Dreamin'

ianuaditis likes this.
  15. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Regarding the lyrics, "Seasons crying no despair, alligator lizards in the air," Bunnell said: "The clouds. It's my brother and I standing there on the side of the road looking at the shapes of clouds while my dad changed the tire." (From an interview with the Los Angeles Times October 1, 2006).

Also, there's no official "Ventura Highway," but Ventura is a county and city in Southern California, and Highway 101 runs through it. However, it is common to call it the "Ventura Freeway" and some have said it was indeed called "Ventura Highway" back in the 60's. No one calls it the official name indicated by the signage - "Korean War Veterans Memorial Highway." SR-134 northeast of downtown LA is also called "Ventura Freeway."

Los Angeles Freeway Names

Lost In The Flood and kch27 like this.
  16. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

no

17. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

I saw her....

I saw her again last night

TimeWarper and nikh33 like this.
  18. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

The Ventura Freeway WAS a highway back in the old days, running through towns like Camarillo at street grade, with stop lights. that section also had a beautiful tree-lined section I used to love.

19. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Neil Diamond - Thank The Lord For The Nighttime: Neil sings 'relaxanation' instead of 'relaxation' on the last chorus.

Animals - Sky Pilot: "He stale behind and he'll meditate." (instead of 'He'll stay behind...').

20. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Thanks for the confirmation. It was before my time. Southern California was probably very nice back then. Now, I'm not so sure.

21. Rawkdude

Rawkdude Forum Resident

The vocal intro on Van Halen's Everybody Wants Some... not really a mistake as the band intentionally kept it but DLR has admitted he liked the flow of the jumbled words in Crazy from the Heat.

22. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

All the versions I heard of "Dreaming of Me" fade out, except for the version found on an 80s reissue of "Speak & Spell". I don't know if it was intentional or not, but i would think it's an accident.
    No fade-out, keyboard bum note at 3:51, and the song falls apart with the band goofing off at the end of their backing vocal take. Pretty funny.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  23. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Ringo can't seem to remember the line "and this love of mine keeps growing all the time" at the Bangladesh concert,
    so he mumbles his way though it...twice:

TimeWarper and canadian73 like this.
  24. Tsomi

Tsomi Forum Resident

Are you sure of this? Even the 2007 remaster has this longer version you describe, and that's the only way I've ever heard it on all the album versions I own. There's a shorter (3:46) version that appears on some compilations and on some singles, but I thought the album version was always the 4:01 one (well, some versions of Speak & Spell just stop at Just Can't Get Enough, of course).

25. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

Are you talkin' about Shaft?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.