New UHQR by Analogue Productions/QRP - Axis: Bold as Love*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

So I was at the New York Audio Show this part weekend, and AP/QRP was there as an exhibitor/seller. I asked Chad Kassem what ever happened to the UHQR label and when we would see the first title. He said my timing for the question was good, because there will be an announcement coming before Thanksgiving in their updated catalog and email blasts.

Not being able to leave well enough alone, I asked if he could give me any kind of spoiler. He responded that that the first UHQR will be a well known rock and roll album, and that it was going to knock everyones socks off. The 2 x 45rpm releases they have been doing are very high quality - if these are as good as he says they are, it could give the UD1Ss a run for their money.

2. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I've been waiting to see what Chad could do with the New York Dolls in this new UHQR series of his. :thumbsup:

3. A reviewer with close connections to Chad says it'll be -----> Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold As Love.

4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

And that one needs his treatment...bad! Good choice, there!

5. giantleech

Monaural or Stereo?

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to learning more about this upcoming release. I own one MFSL UHQR album.

Clanceman, Leonthepro and Joti Cover like this.
  7. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

I hope that isn't true. Call me a wet blanket or whatever, but I never could get into that album.

I wonder if the people who were denied the Santana 1 step from Acoustic Sounds will be first in line for whatever it is. Regardless, it's good to hear they got things going on something. I figured they were working behind the scenes but that was just a hunch.

8. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

Will there ever be a One Step or UHQR of an album that came out after 1990?

9. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

1987 will be fine. Appetite for UHQR.

10. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Yes! I hope this is right.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The latest EH Legacy pressing sounds very good.

12. giantleech

I vote for Savoy Brown's Looking In. Bring it! :thumbsup:

13. Doc Young

Doc Young Forum Resident

I will buy this in a heartbeat, but I think I've read somewhere that Jimi lost the original master tapes in a cab. I can't recall exactly where I read that but I know I've read it.

14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

That's good to hear...literally, I guess.

It's the one that I don't have. But I do have AYE and EL Legacy's, and, while I think they're better than the originals, I just wasn't overwhelmed.
    But I think that's just the reality of the sonics for the studio releases in the Jimi catalogue, is it not?

Tommyboy likes this.
  15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It’s easy to find an it’s cheap. At least in the US it is.

Chemguy likes this.
  16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Assuming this story is actually true (and apparently only the Side 1 stereo master tape was lost)...it still shouldn't impact your decision whatsoever because:

1) The supposed lost tape was never used to cut any album. So in essence, the lost master is essentially a discarded test mix (albeit unintentionally).

2) Side 1 was quickly remixed (except for one song - which used a copy of the original mix) and those re-mixes became the side 1 master tape - which was used to cut all LPs...EXCEPT (and this is where it gets really interesting)...

3) It wasn't used for ALL pressings because there is more than one stereo mix - for both sides. Original UK/US pressings used one stereo mix; original pressings in a number of other countries used a different stereo mix. And both mixes have been used over the years on various vinyl & CD releases. So there are actually two sets of stereo master tapes - one for each stereo mix.

So, if this release does come to fruition, the question becomes which stereo mix/stereo masters will be used. My guess would be the US/UK mix, but it's not widely known there are actually TWO stereo mixes - and stranger things have happened when reissue labels request tapes and recut albums.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  17. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Well it has been announced in the new winter 2017 catalogue - Axis Bold As Love Stereo - 5000 copies and Mono 1500 copies. Both new cuts by Bernie Grundman.

joshm2286, Merrick, supermd and 8 others like this.
  18. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

whoa. nice pick! Any other details on this?

19. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

When does this go onsale? Anyone got a pre-order link?

joshm2286 likes this.
  20. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

i just talked to Acoustic Sounds. They didn't have any info or pre-order ability.

21. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Can a gort change the title of this to reflect the fact that the first release will be Axis Bold As Love please

22. giantleech

What is going to be the price on these items? Considering what they're trying to squeeze out of their recent Blood, Sweat & Tears releases I'm going to guess somewhere between $150.00-$200.00 per.

joshm2286 likes this.
  23. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

It doesn’t say in the catalogue but you may well be right

24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I would love Axis in as high quality as possible. But there is always a strange feeling putting down that kind of money on an album that was meant to be thrown on the turntable, cranked, and just enjoyed worry free. Having to treat a Hendrix LP with the same care as a fine porcelain vase just feels odd.

Things used to be simpler.... not necessarily better... but simpler....

SteveM, Matt Starr, Jimijam and 11 others like this.
  25. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

That strange feeling is a result of flipping the record every other song...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.