Unfortunate Band Names that hold a band back from mass appeal.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agaraffa, Nov 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Good Old War

It comes from the names of the three leads in the band, which are drummer Tim Arnold, guitarist Dan Schwartz, and guitar/keyboardist Keith Goodwin. It doesn't forgive the fact that for an acoustic harmony band, Good Old War is a terrible name.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Pist.On (Although Atlantic made them alter it to Piston for their excellent debut album)

Not to mention all the bands from the grunge era who were held back from mass appeal by their names' sheer lack of distinction... or maybe most of them just sucked as bands, I dunno.

3. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

The Slits...........definitely not appealing.

4. Northwindblewsouth

Northwindblewsouth Throws Right, Bats Left

The Carpenters

5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

There's a scene in the Simpsons, where Homer starts a biker gang that he calls the Hell's Satans, but he lets Flanders join when he offers to let them use his rumpus room as the HQ.

So at the first meeting, Flanders says 'I vote we change the name to something less blasphemous, and Moe says 'How bout the Christ Punchers?'

I always thought that would make a good metal band name, and I clearly wasn't alone, as there is an actual band called the Christ Punchers. It took until this decade though, even though that Simpsons episode was out in the 90s.

Ryan Lux and andrewskyDE like this.
  6. Northwindblewsouth

Steve Harley & Harley Rebel

7. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Christian Death wasn't far from it.

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. Northwindblewsouth

Dicky Do & the Don’ts

John B Good likes this.
  9. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Slits .............. meet Hole

10. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

I remember reading an interview with Don Was in Hi Fi News And Record Review many years ago in which he mentioned their surname is pronounced WAZ, hence, phonetically, waz (not was). I presume that's correct, it was a respected magazine, and probably still is.

11. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Anthrax put down their lack of success on the early 00's due to the issue in America of actual anthrax attacks, which were ongoing for a period and even considered changing their name....

Poor chaps didn't realise the lack of success was simply down to their choice of singer and poor material.

DavidD and Man at C&A like this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

now, did i say that people HERE don't know? why would you try to put words in my mouth?

no, i did not. i was talking about grandma buying 'i'm not in love' for her grandson or mom buying 'hey nineteen' cause she likes aretha.

i know that people here do know both stories, and debunked by whom? jonathon king and graham gouldman have both said that the 10cc story is true.

copy and paste from the 10cc website:

1. Where did 10cc get their name?
      10cc got their name from Jonathan King who released their first records. King had had a dream about a successful band called "10cc". However, popular belief is that they adopted the name because the average male *********** is 9cc and the band was above average with 1cc more than that!
    there is no other explanation given anywhere that i can find.

13. What's there to understand? Whether or not it's true, the name makes them sound like a joke/comedy band, and not many people are interested in that sort of thing.

14. True, but their name certainly cost the Dead Kennedys a few listeners. There are folks on this very forum who might be into at least some of their music but won't give them a chance because of the name.

15. Koma

Koma New Member

Goatpenis, Goatwhore, Jack Off Jill, Rapeman, Raped Ape, Armageddon Dildos, to name a few.

DavidD likes this.
  16. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Classic scene. Thanks for the reminder.

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

That was a very unfortunate name.

18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

There's genuinely no possibility of me ever getting excited about a band called The Mountain Goats.

19. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Butts Band. And I STILL don't know what it means...or meant.

20. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

The Beatles

21. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Tupelo Chain Sex:
    Great eclectic sound with punk, blues and rockabilly but damn that name makes it hard to get friends to check the music out.
    Lesbians On Ecstasy:
    Good melodies and electronic textures but still a challenge to recommend to many.

DavidD likes this.
  22. denesis

denesis Forum Resident

The millennial equivalent of having a random word followed by a random number.

23. denesis

denesis Forum Resident

My exact reaction to Neutral Milk Hotel.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  24. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I love their stuff but terrible band name, I think listening to Aeroplane was a rite of passage for working at an indie record store in 2007, all my co-workers insisted I check it out. Ended up getting the box set years later after many listens but yeah on name alone would not have thought to listen

25. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Naaah, that's a Good one!

Not so good: "Toe Fat". "Electric Prunes".

DavidD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.