The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Simply put: without Andrew? We wouldn’t have ANYTHING and the franchise likely would have been left to rot, period.

Thank you for everything, Andrew. Monkees fans owe you more than we’ll ever be able to repay.

2. siegel7825

siegel7825 Forum Resident

Andrew: Just keep on doin' what your doin.' :tiphat:

It's a shame THE BEATLES don't have a champion like this in their corner, instead of a bunch of 'suits.'

3. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

Thank you Andrew!

My 16 year old self became a fan in 1986. Your dedication and obvious love for the band shines brightly through each and every project you've been a part of. I love your book, your liner notes, and your determination to keep the music and legacy alive. Personally, I cannot f'n believe how f'n good the BluRay set is.

Thank you Andrew!

4. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

Words (First Recorded Version – Mono Mix) --- I guess this is probably the mix that Sandoval played on Come to the Sunshine

marmalade and Hep Alien like this.
  5. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Andrew is the Man. What dedication and conviction. Very level headed and "see's the big picture". Mark is right, we are extremely lucky to have him. We owe him Thanks and Respect.:agree:

6. readr

readr Forum Resident

I hope it has the cold ending, too!

marmalade, Hep Alien, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  7. readr

readr Forum Resident

Rhino bought the Monkees outright from Raybert in the very early 90’s. That’s really why we are so lucky....because the band members and the creators don’t own the music. Andrew was just getting involved around that time, but it was Harold Bronson and Bill Inglot who really got the ball rolling.
    Andrew seems to have really gotten involved by time the Anthology came out. The second box set was really his baby. It’s pretty cool that a fan happened to be given the opportunity to sit in on those early days when the other guys mentioned were putting together the Missing Links 2 set and, shortly after that, the first box set. It amazingly cool that Andrew is now the primary Monkee guy for Rhino, and he actually trolls us fans to see what we would want on these sets.....think about that. Box sets by fans, for fans. So, I’ll keep, respectfully, offering my two cents, cause I’m an expert, just like Andrew, and just like you.

p.s. thanks for doing the MOTM NY session remixes........I knew you were listening. Can’t wait.

longdist01, Galley, marmalade and 6 others like this.
  8. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

I'm probably the only one who actually likes the backing track to the Hollywood recorded “The Day We Fall In Love” (it's the lyrics and Davy's delivery that's hard to swallow, IMO) so I kinda wish that it was just the backing track without Davy instead of a remix, however I can certainly see an opportunity to highlight the backing track in a remix.

9. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I like the backing track of The Day We Fall In Love as well. This might be pretty good, even with the spoken Davy lyrics...

Hep Alien, Keith V, George C. and 2 others like this.
  10. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Okey doke.

11. radiomd2000

radiomd2000 Forum Resident

He was a much more active contributor to those early efforts than this suggests. The first box set carries the credit "Produced for Release by Bill Inglot & Andrew Sandoval", and ML2 carries the credit "Produced and Compiled for Release by Bill Inglot & Andrew P. Sandoval".

12. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Andrew Sandoval is my spirit animal. Fans of 60s music are lucky to have him. I don't have a Blu-Ray player, but I would have pre-ordered instantly if I did. His whole life is the preservation and sharing of this music and culture, so next time your package is slightly ripped, or there's an extra that's missing, remember to think about how you phrase things and realize how much sweat it took to get it in your hands in the first place.

Anyone who isn't listening to Come To The Sunshine...well, you should. It's awe-inspiring.

Looking forward to receiving my MOTM box.

13. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Andrew Sandoval continues to be a class act.
    His name is on so many items I've purchased.
    Fans of many bands owe him props for his hard work and determination.

When I saw the Monkees last year, I saw Andrew walking around..
    and I was almost as excited to see him than the band. His work with
    the catalogs of the Monkees, Kinks, and others.. have done so much
    for me and brought me such enjoyment.

Can't wait for MOTM to sit beside all my other Monkees boxes.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  14. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I appreciate everything Andrew has done for Monkees fans. I can only speak for myself but I hope the vast majority of the people who were less than enthralled with the BluRay issues acknowledged that they were emanating from Rhino/Warner and not him before he even spoke up. Personally, customer service and QC were the sticking points for me. I think the latter carries over to how the webstore misrepresented the material.

While it's probably true that his explanations - freely given here, and not owed to us, I would add - would have lessened the confusion and sour taste some got from the box's shortcomings, I would venture it's not something that he could have comfortably offered publicly at the time. Andrew knows very well who holds the purse strings for these projects and, had he "called out" Rhino/Warner in the heat of the moment, it seems quite possible we would not have the MOTM box being released in less than a month - and perhaps no hope of having HQ and PAC&J boxes in the future.

intv7, npgchris, Hep Alien and 4 others like this.
  15. Midwest Rocker

Midwest Rocker Forum Resident

It indeed would be cool to find out the "where" and "how" some of the newly found material was discovered after decades of prior searches coming up empty.

I would also would like to encourage Andrew Sandoval to post again, and maybe more frequently as well (understanding and acknowledging that he may have some limitations as to what he can specifically comment on- not to mention time constraints). I hope he sees that many of the responses to his post reinforces the value of him doing so.

It's also good to see that Andrew still reads the posts in the forum. I think it is helpful to Andrew to get feedback from Monkees fans to help "guide him" in decisions of content for potential future Monkees releases (understanding Rhino, and not him, makes the final call).

Aside from personal attacks, which are both cruel and have zero value. I would speculate that Andrew actually appreciates - even encourages- our suggestions and comments, including constructive criticism.

16. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

Saw this at the Live Almanac site: "The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees in 2010. A box for Head arrived later that year (both now sold-out), and Instant Replay (2011) and The Monkees Present (2013) followed. Due to the success of those projects, Rhino Handmade went back to the beginning of The Monkees' catalog, issuing The Monkees in 2014"

This is the longest that it's been between releases. Hope we're able to finish the series up.

17. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

"Mary, Mary", "Steppin Stone" and "Laugh" were the only 3 songs released by other artists before this album came out, right? I think Neil Diamond's "I'm a Believer" was later

18. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

When did Del Shannon's version of "She" come out?

Hep Alien and George C. like this.
  19. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Interesting choice not to add the NY sessions in lieu of the live stuff. I suppose it fits chronologically, but putting the NYC stuff with this set and the live stuff with a new HQ set would make more sense to me, given that the live stuff was the impetus for HQ. Having said that, aside from mastering, I think Sandoval has been an excellent archivist for the band (I'm pretty sure he has no say in the mastering, see also the Kinks deluxe sets). Having said that too, the choice to leave the remix of I'm a Believer off the set is bizarre. Not everyone has room for a vinyl set up.

Hep Alien, wayne66 and FJFP like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Anyone else catch the photo of Andrew either on FB or instagram or Twitter where he says ".. yes it's smaller in size but larger in content .."
    Wonder if it'll be smaller than the others?

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Without Andrew us Monkees fans would have had a very different last 30 years. Quite probably no archival issues at all. Not only that but the reunion concert tours have had a lot of his influence and without him "Good Times" may have never happened and next years potential "Mike & Micky" shows have a lot to do with Andrew too as has the Mike & First National Band shows coming up in January. Kudos to Andrew for getting Michael to finally see the light about his country rock days.. something I was thinking would never happen as Mike seemed to have all but ignored that part of his musical life and even during the last 3 piece Monkees tour he wasn't happy with any suggestions from Andrew about those classic CR songs he'd written so I guess Andrew just wore him down lol and thank God he did. 2018 is shaping up to be a great year for Monkees fans and in particular Mike fans.
    I can't thank Andrew enough for whats he'd done and what he will continue to do for the ongoing legacy of The Monkees.

23. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

Looks like that was 1968 on his The Further Adventures of Charles Westover album.
    I also found a sung doo-wop-ish version of "On the Day We Day We Fall In Love" by The Bandwagon that sounds earlier, but it was also 1968.

Hep Alien and BadJack like this.
  24. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

Had to look at the page source to find the proper link to the JPG image.

It looks like the same size. I believe that he's just saying that it's smaller than the original LP.

[​IMG]

25. readr

readr Forum Resident

I think the Blu-Ray box and the Monkees 50 campaign slowed down the SD box series’ momentum. I think there is a desire at Rhino to see this series through. I think this next box, MOTM, will sell very well, as did the debut box, and we’ll see a Headquarters box sooner than later. Hopefully they get back to a box release every year.

Hep Alien, George C. and Blimpboy like this.