Any Butthole Surfers fans or collectors on here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cake, Dec 2, 2012.

1. I loved this part from the interview:

"We're not in a position like a lot of other bands. Like, take Metallica. God bless 'em, I love Metallica. But all they gotta do is put out another Metallica record. The same thing with Foo Fighters. That's all they gotta do is put out another Foo Fighters record. 'Cause, I mean, they've got a sound. Or, they've got a song," says Haynes, laughing. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But I guess we're just continually broken and in a struggle to fix it. So, it's gonna be a wild one."

Man, it doesn't seem like it's been 15-years since Weird Revolution, but I guess it has. That was a fantastic album! I used to play "Jet Fighter" and "The Last Astronaut" back-to-back all of the time, on a loop. I never got tired of it.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  2. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It’s the Butthole Surfers, so it’s good, but I wouldn’t call it fantastic.

Whatever they’re coming up with now sounds more promising.

3. I thought it was there best since Hairway... Not that it had that classic sound, but at least the songwriting was there throughout the album. The other albums sounded too slick, and the songwriting was hit and miss. Different strokes, though.

4. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

I was initially put off by Weird Revolution, but it has grown on me over time. Tracks like ‘$hit like that’, ‘get down’, and ‘they came in’ are just great. Can’t wait to hear what the are coming up with now!

Oyster Boy and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  5. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Heck yes! Been waiting 16 years, 24 for a good one. I'm bent over and ready.

CowboyBob likes this.
  6. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

Really looking forward to this, can't wait. One of my top 5 all time favorite bands.
    Hoping to catch them live at some point as well. I'll be picking up anything they release.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and CowboyBob like this.
  7. Heh. Last night my wife and I smoked a little and I just happened to have put on "Kuntz." She had never heard it before, and she was tripping out. She kept asking me to play it. I think it took a while for her to wrap her brain around what she was hearing. Hehehe. :D

Oyster Boy and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  8. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

God bless Paul Leary :evil:

CowboyBob and Mr. H like this.
  9. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Took my daughter to see 'em for her 16th birthday at the New Daisy in Memphis. Hung out with 'em after the show and Gibby gave her a signed vinyl copy of Creamed Corn. Also saw 'em at the first Lollapalooza in Dallas. That was intense. Used to play in a band called Too Many Monas and we covered "Creep in the Cellar." Our violin player was a very shy young woman who always played with her back to the audience ... I didn't mind because she was so freakin' gorgeous that I got to look at her instead of the audience. She wailed on that BHS tune! Good times!

10. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

One of my favorites!

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  11. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I would love if they would come out with a 3 CD anthology set of their best studio material. I don't feel like buying all there CDs at this point.

12. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

Posted on FB this morning...hard to believe 30 years ago!

Mr. H and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  13. Cake

Cake Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Locust Abortion Technician EP is being released on Friday, November 24th - on Record Store Day!

14. eyeCalypso

What happened to the Free For All Madness Forum? Where did everyone go?

15. llannigan

llannigan Member

Seen them several times in 89 and couple times in the 90’s. Great shows every time, from a hazy recollection-recall. Had tickets to see P but forget why I didn’t go? Might of been cancelled, as it was around the time River Phoenix died?

16. Cake

Just got the red vinyl and yellow vinyl versions of the EP and they sound phenomenal!

17. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I grabbed one of these today. What's the story on this one? Remixes of some sort, alternate takes or just some random tracks from the original album? (which, if that is the case, doesn't really seem to make all that much sense.)

18. Cake

Remastered tracks from the Locust Abortion Technician album that sound much better and clearer. It's, basically, a taste of the upcoming Butthole Surfers remasters of their old Touch & Go albums with improved sound that will be released in 2018 along with a brand new album!

giantleech likes this.
  19. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

That's a good point about established bands that no one ever makes. I've always been interested in bands who change their sound (for good or for bad) but most people just want the same sound every time they hear a band. I saw Gary Numan last night, having no knowledge of his music beyond Cars, but a friend was curious so we went. His fan base is very dedicated, and the guy has been making music steadily since the late 70s, but most of the songs sounded like rehashed NIN nonsense (a sound I got tired of in 1995).

Then he played Cars, and it was exact same arrangement as the original. I thought that was weird, but everyone went wild. I'm like "I've heard this song a thousand times played this way, what's the big deal", but I was the clear minority (amongst the black-clothed, black-haired, eyeliner wearing crowd).

Cake likes this.
  20. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...have you heard any updates??
    I’m looking forward to the new album. Also read an interview with Paul from Oct. last year and he mentions a box set of unreleased weirdness. :pineapple:

21. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Nah, but in college they showed up to a party at my house one of my roommates threw. Sadly, I don't have any anecdotes from that evening...

22. eyeCalypso

Did they play at the party?

23. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Just realized I still haven't played the Locust vinyl EP from last year! Need to get after that.

Definitely looking forward to any new material but more eager for the remasters. I do think the current Hairway vinyl sounds pretty decent.

24. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Lol, I think there was a band set up in the backyard, but I don't think it was the Butthole Surfers!

25. Cake

According to the Paul Leary, at least five new songs have been recorded and mixed for the new album. We just gotta be patient!

Oyster Boy, CowboyBob and Mr. H like this.