King Crimson 'Earthbound' expanded CD & DVD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Sep 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

A post today from Sid Smith, not much in the way of new information. Release date is next Friday (11/17).

Earthbound expanded

2. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I’m listening to the 24/48 2017 mix. It’s the first time I’ve ever heard this album. Yes, it does sound terrible.

uzn007 likes this.
  3. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

All the press releases say the CD will feature an extended 12-track listing. Is this true? What are the 12 tracks?

4. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

The 12 track version is on the DVD. King Crimson - Earthbound

yesstiles likes this.
  5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Hope they don't get a bunch of returns from people complaining that the cd is not 12 tracks like advertised.

Plan9 and Galley like this.
  6. Love this album, but hi-res, really?

7. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

Not to sound bitchy, but is the new edition worth the purchase? How's the Quad mix? I'm still buzzing from the Ann Arbor show...

8. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

[​IMG]
    The sound is just as bad as ever, but the Summit Studios sound is great.
    They screwed up the Schizoid Men collage in the Sailors' Tales box, putting a random minute and a half or so of silence in there.
    I'd be interested to hear if they did the same thing in this release.

9. Is there anything on this two disc version that isn't included in the new sailors box or are they identical?

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Only $14 at Amazon!

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

It was like that on the original 'Ladies Of The Road' album. Not a screw up - intentional.

Judge Judy and Chew like this.
  12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Nowt - not a sausage.

Oh, wait. Sorry. 'Earthbound' was recorded in America, wasn't it? In American that translates as "no."

13. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Or a screwup in 2003 that they never bothered to fix.

14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I doubt it. Fripp put extra music after a long silence on almost every CD he put out in the late 90s/early 00s. For some reason, he seemed to think it was clever. Or possibly funny. The ProjeKcts box was particularly annoying like that.

"Technical notes:
    Track 9 of disc 1 cuts off at 48 seconds
    Track 11 of disc 2 has a 60-second silence at 4:75
    These were on the master tapes."

jay.dee and Judge Judy like this.
  15. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

For my own use I excised the silent gap, and then cut the remaining part and mixed it back into the beginning section about 2-3 seconds back from where it cut off. It doesn't sound any worse than the other transitions.

16. I didn't think it was too bad. It sounds like a bootleg (and not a great one). It's one of the few ways to hear this line up. The Summit studios performance though is worth having and a 5.1 mix of it would be pretty cool.

17. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

That silence is on my DVD from the two disc set, not bothered, I can live with it..

18. street legal

street legal Senior Member

So how do the 7 bonus tracks sound in comparison to the tracks from the original LP?
    Do they sound just as low-fi, or do they come from better sources?
    I notice that some of the tracks are versions that have been released on KCCC releases.

And could anyone tell me the total running time for the expanded 12 track "Earthbound"?
    And the total time for the Summit Studios? I've heard that that is actually about 15 minutes longer now
    than the original KCCC CD release. Is that true?

19. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

The bonus tracks are from the same cache of lo-fi cassette soundboards as the original album.

20. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Thanks.

21. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Does the original CD release have as low dynamic range as compared to the new one?

22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Yes, the mastering on the 30th Anniversary disc is the same as tracks 1-5 on the new one

23. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The 30th is the first CD release of this album?

24. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Yes.

25. jblock

jblock Senior Member

The running time of the 12 track version is 1 hour 53 minutes. The Summit Studios stuff is 1 hour 38 minutes. The final The Creator Has a Master Plan and improvs is now 38 minutes.

They also seem to have located a few more seconds for the beginning of Groon/Peoria compared to the original download of that show offered on DGM. But they have edited the drum solo a bit.

yesstiles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.