SH Spotlight Recording and Mastering Questions---Answered here. Any more?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Russ Gary

Russ Gary Engineering Legend

If anyone has a copy of the 45 RPM version of "Slow Down", check out the splice in the guitar solo just before the last verse begins.

2. Russ Gary

Steve,

Except for splices coming apart, the Scotch 200 series tapes I have play nicely without baking. Ampex 456 series is another story. Has this been your experience?

McLover likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Hi Russ,

Yes, the old Ampex 400 series tape has basically turned to turd.

Remember Scotch 226? Many studios cheaped out and got that instead of 250. Big mistake!!! More turd.

McLover likes this.
  4. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

One of my tapes from the 70s is in a 3M box, but wound up on a Scotch reel. How can I tell what brand/model it is. It is a dark grayish color. This is one I ran a week ago to make a digital copy of and it had no problems. Wish I could say that of the Ampex tape I have from a recording I made back in the mid-eighties.

5. Russ Gary

The vocal on "Midnight Special" was recorded with two Neumann U-47's. One mic was placed close to Fogerty's face in the normal manner. The second mic was placed approximately 6 ft away at waist height. The vocal was printed onto the multi-track machine featuring the second U-47. To add a bit of edge to the voice, a small amount of the first microphone was blended into the mix.

Gardo and Drifter like this.
  6. Russ Gary

Yes I remember 226. We did not use it.

7. Russ Gary

The tape could possibly be BASF

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting - thanks Russ!

9. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Was BASF tape used in the U.S. in the mid-seventies? If so, it could be.

BTW, thanks for your reply, Russ.

10. polod

polod Member

Have same tape stock Elvis recorded on.

I have a couple of large spools and smaller reels made by Audiotape, same tape stock/vintage from the 1950s Elvis recorded on. Still plays fine on my machine. I also have Scotch from the 1960's, works fine as well, don't have any Ampex or BASF.

11. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I've still got a few reels of Audiotape from the 70's with the green and black boxes. We used a bit of it at Studio West which was my first pro studio job in San Diego. Then again, I haven't play those reels recently so I can't attest to their playability. I just looked at the boxes and discovered that what I have is only 1 mil. :eek:

McLover likes this.
  12. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Member

Steve,

How much have A/D converters improved since the days of the Sony 1610 in the 1980s?

13. Steve Hoffman

Sure, guess so. Just in the form of better ambience retrival. We never used 1610's in the old daze, always used modded 1630's but my beloved WHO'S NEXT CD was mastered with a 1600!!!!!! So, there ya go.

Gardo likes this.
  14. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Steve,

When shellacs were distributed to other countries on other labels, did record companies have to send over lacquers, or were records "redubbed" in analog or electrical 2nd generation direct-to-disc?

15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I've always felt that most of the improvement has been in D/A converters rather than the A/D converters - any thoughts on that?

16. Steve Hoffman

Shellac was never sent to another country. If England wanted to release a BING CROSBY US Decca cut in the 1930's a metal mother was made and shipped to Decca UK. That's how they did it. That is the reason that if you REALLY want a mint rare 78, you can find a "foreign" version and it will be the exact same master as the US. Just the label will be different. Also the price. :)

HOWEVER, some companies (like the Victor Talking Machine Company, Brunswick/Vocalion among others) sent out ALTERNATE TAKES of their US releases sometimes. Woah, so if you like a King Oliver or Don Redman jazz cut from 1929, if you find the British pressing from that era, it's another performance. This is how many of the alt. takes survived. Really neat.

Also, during the recording "ban" of 1942-44, most labels went back and mined their catalog. That is why you can find all the rare Bix and Louis Hot 5's and 7's, etc. on the cheap red Columbia 78's from 1943 made from the exact same stampers as the OKEH 1927 versions. This is a tremendous deal for collectors who can't afford 200 bucks a record for the originals.

Gardo and McLover like this.
  17. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

It's mine too!

18. Sckott

This is what I'm doing. I'm trying to get just a few Louis sides just to "hear it like it was meant to be". Maybe a Bessie Smith set? If I'm lucky...

I'm 1/2 out of needles already! :eek:

19. Steve Hoffman

Remember, Sckott, your machine was designed to play acoustically recorded records. That's pre-1925 stuff. Playing anything later will just sound weird. You need records that were recorded with an acoustic horn. Bunch of them all over the place. Oh, order some more needles. I think 500 of them cost like 6 bucks on eBay or something like that.

20. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Member

1. I've always wondered about this. A lot of people complain that early CDs, like The Beatles, for instance, don't sound good because digital technology "was in its infancy".

2. What kind on mods did you make on your 1630? :)

21. Sckott

Girlfriend just got me about 20 Victor "bat wing" sides. I just ordered several "types" of needles.

Here's one of them. I play this, and I can hear it through the entire house. :agree:

Attached Files:

22. Steve Hoffman

Look, the early stuff I did at Bruce Botnick's DIGITAL MAGNETICS studio was all done to 1600. The 1610 had not even come out yet. This includes WHO'S NEXT, POCO/LEGEND, STEELY DAN/AJA, etc. I still think this stuff sounds great.

Bad mastering is usually the culprit when something sounds less than wonderful. Remember, an essential part of good mastering is playing back a vintage analog tape on the correct playback machine. That is most of the battle right there. I don't know of anyone who goes that extra step except for Bill Inglot and Doug Sax. It's essential!

Chooke, Gardo and McLover like this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' bout. We call those "shriekers".

This eBay guys sells good cheap stuff and they are packed well:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbartradeQQhtZ-1

24. Darles Chickens

Darles Chickens New Member

So how many lacquers can you cut with one cutting stylus before it must be replaced?

25. Steve Hoffman

As I'm sure you know, it depends on the amount of violence in the groove. No one can predict that.