Rega introduces the new Rega Planar 6 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3-4 years is long term ? :tiphat:

2. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

Hands down the new P6. The price jump from P6 to RP8 is massive and judging from reviews and comments here, I am not convinced the RP8 gives you sufficient extra value compared to the new P6. RP8 does sound great though :)

kazu likes this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I’m confused by your comparison. What exactly is 30 years old?

4. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Bill no time machine just a 30 yr old NOS cart on a new RP8

5. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

Hello, I am wandering between RP8 and new P6...for upgrading from my RP6 with GT-Sub...

6. Not sure I would upgrade by RP6 to a P6, especially if I added the GT sub to the RP6. The next step for me would be to the RP8. Not sure a 6 to 6 would be that dramatic. But you never know.

beowulf and willboy like this.
  7. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

Hi kazu. If you have a Rega dealer nearby, you could go and listen to the new P6 and see if you think it will be a worthwhile upgrade from your RP6 with GT-Sub. Otherwise you can look for a used RP8, for example by using www.hifishark.com

Rega supposedly will release a new Planar 8 at some point, so another option would be to hold on to your RP6 until then.

Huw Davies and kazu like this.
  8. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

Hi HBJ. I have an information regarding New P8 (Next RP8) . It will be late next year or early 2019...
    However I cannot be waiting for it... :(

HBJ likes this.
  9. Prism

Prism Damn Dirty Ape!

Kazu, if your money is burning a hole in your pocket that bad, get the RP8 as it’s more expensive. Seriously though, you have a very good turntable and I think you may experience some buyers remorse after your purchase. Surely the RP8 is an upgrade, but perhaps not as significant as you hope.

kazu likes this.
  10. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

YOUR HAVE A GREAT "thought"
    ありがとうございます!(Thank you so much!)

11. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I like my RP6 so much I just bought another one to replace the RP1 in my second system! Both in white.

Couldn't pass it up for the clearance price.

H8SLKC, dbsea and displayname like this.
  12. jslcaballo

jslcaballo Oh the ritual when I lay down your crooked arm

Have a Planar 6 which is running a hair fast. I would like to try out adjusting the speed on the neo TTPSU but cannot for the life of me find out where the adjustment tool is. Does anyone know where in the packaging the tool is? If I lost it it's just a hex key/allen wrench. Correct? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

13. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

Mine was in a small plastic bag inside the box.

14. sixthstreet

sixthstreet Forum Resident

Okay, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Planar 6 with the Ania cartridge and an Aria phono stage. One question, though: should I purchase isolation, like a Gingko Cloud, for example? I live in a house with my wife and we don't jump around all that often.

15. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Depends on how solid your floors are, most isolation systems don't do much for floor bounce, and in some situations just walking around will cause some big woofer pumping. What kind of table do you have now, and how is it situated?

16. sixthstreet

sixthstreet Forum Resident

This will be my first 'table after not having one for about five years. I just moved into my current house, and the floors feel pretty solid, so I'll just go without and see how the new turntable performs.

17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Rega advises a light, stable structure for placing their tables which I agree with. I just moved one of my Rega's to a much heavier piece of furniture and I was amazed at how different the sound is. Much more bass but a little less "lively".

18. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

My Planar 6 with Ania arrived yesterday so this is feedback after a very short 2 hour listening session. Of course the table is not broken in yet either. First thing that stands out with the P6/Ania is the bass. It increased by more than double over the Debut Carbon/Ort Blue I was running previously. It is a very tight but low bass. It really reaches down while remaining very focused. This is welcome since I use tubes in my Cronus Magnum 2 that make my system overall very detailed and a bit bright. I wrote some words down as I was listening to tracks from my favorite albums. 3D -Detail -Lifelike -Space -Separation. I was able to hear into the album more as if it went through a really good cleaning. Separation within the soundstage is much easier to identify than it was with the Debut Carbon. Knoplfers guitar on Communique sounds as if it is plugged into my own guitar amp, rather than being played through my system. The P6/Ania changed the overall sound from something that sounds like it is being played from media (be it vinyl, tape, digital, etc) to a sound that makes the music appear more live as if the instruments are really in the room with you. I'm going to devote some time this weekend to really get a feel but I wanted to offer some early impressions.

luckyno13, PATB, punkmusick and 2 others like this.
  19. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Pease report on ania cart, it would surely be a nice match to my rp8. I don't know whether it would be better than my at33ptgii but it would sure ease the process of alignment.

20. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I have it on my RP8, sounds really great! Previously I had a 2M bronze on it, but wanted to try an MC as I already had the Aria phono stage. So easy to set up and was able to remove the spacers.

21. mike catucci

Did you notice any extra bass when you went from the 2M Bronze to the Ania? If I was asked for one thing the Ania did more than anything else, it was the bass portion of the sound.

22. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Best I can do is point you to where I posted my initial findings, I’ve changed a few things since that have given me tighter bass, but I wouldn’t say more. Listening to the newly released Lifeforms by Future Sound of London reissue right now and It sounds fantastic. Here’s the link to my post Rega Ania MC cartridge and Fono MC now available in the USA

23. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Just been trying out my turbo-charged RP6 (Groovetracer subplatter, heavy arm counterweight) with the new TTPSU Neo.
    I'm pleased to report that this new box is a stunning (and in the UK, stunningly affordable at £199) upgrade to the RP6, to the extent that thoughts of changing tables to the newbie have evaporated. From what I've heard I would reckon that a sizeable chunk of the new deck's clarity is down to this box, so RP6 owners should try to hear one! I've decided to get the new Planar 3 as a second system deck and move the 6's PSU to that. Then there's a new cartridge to consider - if the AT150MLX goes to the 3, should I get the AT33EV for the 6? (the Ania looks fragile to me).

One gripe - the on/off button is placed on the left curve of the new fascia, making use more of a fumble...

24. djfake

djfake Forum Resident

Listened to one of these over the weekend. Wow. Anyone know if they'll come out in white or another color?

25. mike catucci

I was told the Planar 6 will only be available in the charcoal color.

KT88 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.