Feel like some PRINCE...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ando here, Nov 29, 2017.

1. ando here

ando here Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Hey. Just a catch all-thread for any Prince music, vault rumors, re-releases, resurrections, etc. that you may be into at the moment.

My favorite Prince jam:

All The Critics Love U In (New York) Montreux

Ando II, NickySee, 905 and 14 others like this.
  2. ando here

[​IMG]
    Sign O' The Times (1987) Good one. Love the instrumental title track at the end of the concert.

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I've always liked Prince - Raspberry Beret. Heard it the other day on the radio. Great tune and video.

4. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I think Dylan should cover Raspberry Beret: "built like she wassssss, she had the nerve to asssskkk meeeee, if I plaaannnned to do her any harrrrrrmmmmm"

5. ando here

Always thought this was one of his stranger ones though I love the line, She walked in through the out door.

Zoot Marimba and Holy Diver like this.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I always think of the Zeppelin album when I hear that.

wrappedinsky, Sean, MitchLT and 6 others like this.
  7. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

8. ando here

Famous. Deservedly so.

9. ando here

Speaking of tunes on Around The World In A Day, Tambourine is my favorite. I seldom play the whole lp (love Pop Life and Tambourine) but I always liked Doug Henders' illustration. Without The Revolution (and sundry):

[​IMG]

"The cover art came about because I thought people were tired of looking at me. Who wants another picture of him? I would only want so many pictures of my woman, then I would want the real thing. What would be a little more happening than just another picture would be if there was some way I could materialize in people's cribs when they play the record.”
    - Prince

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  10. ando here

Oh, how could I forget the 21 minute (and best) version of America from ATWIAD?

[​IMG]
    America, The Extended Cut Don't know why Warner Brothers even bothered with the 7" (album) version which only makes you want to hear the extended jam. It's a party tune. Someone somewhere made the observation that Prince was a musician who deliberately crafted his songs for the album format. Probably. But I can't imagine him saying Ok, let's cut 'America' by a fourth and put it on the album. That'll make the party live!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  11. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

Unfortunately, the vinyl reissue of my favourite of his albums (and his most underrated album IMO) seems to have been postponed indefinitely:
    [​IMG]

TonyCzar, Turntable, Rob C and 14 others like this.
  12. ando here

Agreed on all points. Loose is one of my favorite tracks from him.

13. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Come is a fantastic album. I’m so upset that vinyl reissue series died. I was looking forward to Come the most. Prince had an amazingly prolific and high-quality streak in the early- and mid-90s. Come/TGE/Exodus, all the outtakes and alternate versions, the Undertaker video/album, early tracklists, etc. And such a small percentage of the population ever heard that stuff or cared.

TonyCzar, fab4ever, Izozeles and 5 others like this.
  14. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

From the "Come" album: The title track is probably one of his funkiest jams ever. That thing just smokes. "Letitgo" is one of his catchiest songs, and it did make the top 40 of the pop charts, but few people outside of Prince fans would remember the song.

15. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

The title track is stellar. The unreleased versions with the funky guitar loop throughout are amazing too. He was just on fire back then.

TonyCzar, murphywmm and Zoot Marimba like this.
  16. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

He's referring to Zep there.

Turntable and lordfalconer like this.
  17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Did it die, or is it just suffering from delays? Seems like releasing the hard-to-find early/mid 90's albums on LP would be a no-brainer.

18. ando here

The poster claims this jam was funkified but it was funky from the box. From Stevie Wonder's album, Talking Book (a version hard to top) Prince gives Maybe Your Baby a go -

19. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

I know Polaroid shots of the band members have popped up that the artist used to mimic for the cover but sadly none of Prince have when he dyed his hair blonde and what this picture was based on.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  20. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

I'm something more than a casual fan, but not really plugged into Princeworld.
    Is there a new DVD and/or audio CD release?

hiterss likes this.
  21. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Allegedly Prince called Rolling Stone's offices during the recording of Around the World in a Day and requested every back issue that featured The Beatles.

Impossible to follow up Purple Rain but I was not let down when it came out (with an announcement that he was retiring in USAToday!)----in fact I never really felt let down until Come and The Black Album------What a gift those years were as a kid-----84 to 93-----anticipating/celebrating every new release.

The 1999 album was a little scary to me as an 10/11 year old (my sister had the cassette)-----the title track blew my little mind at the time----sounded completely foreign to my inexperienced ears but irresistible at the same time.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  22. ando here

Not to my knowledge. But when Showtime acquired the rights to show it over the summer it got some play. The 2014 Remastered Blu-Ray is the probably the best edition.
    [​IMG]

Tsomi and majorlance like this.
  23. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

That video of “Maybe Your Baby” is unbelievable. Thanks for posting, OP. :righton:

The MEZ and ando here like this.
  24. ando here

Can't say I share your opinion of Come and/or especially The Black Album (what?? Some of his best stuff is on that one!:)). But what is even more exciting to me was discovering music from Prince that I had not heard during the time his that mainstream releases (post Warner Bros.) tailed off. Regrettably, I tuned out for a while. I'm happily still discovering his stuff to this day, though.

fatwad666, lordfalconer and EVOLVIST like this.
  25. ando here

[​IMG]
    While I dig most of his music I never had a man crush on Prince. I can't deny his unmistakable style, though. Nobody dressed him. Hendrix was colorful and James Brown was Superbad but in terms of straight up swag? Prince was man. I saw Shahidi's book sitting on a table at B&N and did a quick scan. Not impressed. Then I downloaded an ebook version on my tablet and was blown away by many of the shots inside. If you're some place where you can just sample the photos from this book you'll be intrigued. Prince really opened up to Shahidi, who apparently, became a lifelong friend.

[​IMG]
    Another NYC shot, one of my favorites.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017