New Mobile Fidelity titles in latest Music Direct catalog*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lovealego, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I feel like they somewhat fell for the same old release requests. Just look through that thread to see the same old 40 yr old albums being suggested. :rolleyes:

I do give them credit for hitting some newer titles, only 21 years old, Everclear. I wish they could or would get more newer stuff.

The people pushing the same old stuff from MFSL seem to be stuck in a time warp. For example, PF DSOTM was released in 1973. MFSL remastered it originally in 1979, when it was only six years old. Contrast that with today and the old audiophiles turn their noses to a remaster that is only 20 years old, in favor of a 40+ year old title that has already been remastered to death.

2. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

Bingo. It is exactly these "out of left field" titles that make audiophile reissues interesting to me. If I never see another Doors, Santana, Dylan, Yes. etc. etc. remaster, it'll be soon for me. Examples?

• David Grisman - Hot Dawg MFSL UDCD 506
    • Neville Brothers - Fiyo On The Bayou MFSL UDCD 602
    • Albert Collins - Cold Snap MFSL UDCD 635
    • Ted Hawkins - The Next Hundred Years MFSL UDCD 703
    • Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee - Sonny & Terry UDCD 641
    • Alexis Korner & Blues Incorporated - R&B From The Marquee MFSL UDCD 657
    • Squeeze - East Side Story MFSL UDCD 739
    • Chieftains - Long Black Veil MFSL UDCD 762
    • Marc Cohn - S/T MFSL UDCD 767
    • R.L. Burnside - First Recordings MFSL UDSACD 2026
    • Los Lobos - This Time MFSL UDSACD 2024

These are some of the spice in the reissue stew for me. Not exactly chart toppers - check Billboard and Cashbox. Oh. And bring on the Train S/T too. I'm buyin'.

Mr. Explorer, art and tmtomh like this.
  3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I dunno, I think Shane's been clear that his intention has been to release titles from the '80s and '90s that have been out of print on vinyl. He's released albums by Big Audio Dynamite, Erasure, Everclear--hardly the beaten '60s and '70s path.

Anyway, I'm very excited for these MOFI reissues to show up whenever they do. I don't have a copy of Oh Mercy, Texas Flood, or anything by Simon & Garfunkel on vinyl, and these have potential to be excellent versions of those titles.

Joti Cover and PhantomStranger like this.
  4. findog3103

findog3103 Forum Resident

"Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump, Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid, Amy Winehouse - Back to Black, Johnny Cash - the American recordings (why not?), Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain, The White Stripes - Elephant, Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf, Bryan Ferry - Frantic, Editors - The Back Room, Snow Patrol - The Final Straw (the earlier SACD was lousy), Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out of Season (maybe too tricky comercially?), PJ Harvey - Let England Shake, Tame Impala - Lonerism, Chelsea Wolfe - Unknown Rooms: A Collection of Acoustic Songs or Apokalypsis, Goldfrapp - Tales of Us, The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream, The Waterboys - An Appointment with Mr. Yeats, Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit, Charlotte Gainsbourg - all her albums."

I agree. There is a lot of great music but a lot of it is poorly recorded by DR standards. PJ Harvey is one that I would love to see some remastered stuff from. However, the Editors - The Back Room, any Grimes, Julia Holter, A Giant Dog sound good on vinyl.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

Could be worse.

They could have put Metallica on or something...

6. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

My pre-order was with WOWHD (aka ImportCDs).

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Mofi already kinda sorta did Metallica. Plus, what’s wrong with Metallica? :D

Paully and mikedifr0923 like this.
  8. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

I think it would be hilarious if they did. Multiple pages of negative posts from people who still preordered two copies.

Kyhl and mpayan like this.
  9. HappyFunMiles

HappyFunMiles Forum Resident

*Audiophiles as for a title that hasn't been beaten to death that they would like to own in their collection. I'm not into Simon & Garfunkle, SRV or Bill Evans. But I understand why MoFi would do one-steps. They're culturally significant artists and releases. Train is a footnote. And I know Train isn't a one step, or even a remaster. Still, show me someone who owns one MoFi release and claims Train or this album in their top 100, and then we can talk.

If AF is claiming digital sourcing as an impediment to remastering, they should close up shop. MoFi did a wonderful job with Donald Fagen's Nightfly.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

AF did a fine job of remastering a Phil Collins digital recording. It’s an odd statement all around.

Mr. Explorer, jhm and HappyFunMiles like this.
  11. DPM

DPM Senior Member

That isn't the only digital recording Audio Fidelity have remastered/reissued. The Bladerunner soundtrack was from a digital source, and there's video on youtube of Kevin Gray at work on that one. Also, several of the Rush titles were mastered from digital sources as (evidently) the original two track master tapes aren't in great shape.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

it was a joke

13. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

You should check Music Direct, they even will take discount code for this. At least they did on mine. I think they might still have the 20% off if not keep an eye out as they might have some more discount codes leading up to the holidays. You can also sign up for their newsletter and it will let you know when a promo code is active.

14. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Here you go, here's someone on this forum who wants it:

Music Direct Mobile Fidelity new titles for 2016

sonofjim likes this.
  15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Is there a link taking us to a page for the Bridge Over Troubled Water One-Step, on the Music Direct site, or do you have to order by phone ?
    I can't find any mention of any of the One-Steps on their site.

16. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

The Train album is an odd choice for mofi but I like it. They're pushing the envelope. Audiophile labels are often criticized for not doing this and yet here we are scratching our heads over this one. I might have preferred the follow up but I'll likely buy this one for the song Drops of Jupiter alone.

17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Yeah Craig, you got it. I would bet those titles would not be high on most "want lists". But I believe the response was from a JC & the Beaver Brown Band fan. :)

18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Gotta be someone other than MD. Did the Super D companies (Import CD's, Deep Discount etc.) list them, that would mean a cancellation.

19. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I called to change credit card information and asked if they were accepting pre-orders by phone for the BOTW. They said that it was the only way they are accepting them as of now. I'd like to know if they accepting phone orders for SRV One-Step now.

Mr. Explorer and Myke like this.
  20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Count me in for the Train SACD.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

I'd like to know how little MoFi paid for the rights to Train, because I'm fairly sure they wouldn't be on their radar otherwise.

22. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

You are correct in your assumption :winkgrin:

CraigVC likes this.
  23. The Train album makes sense. That album sold millions of copies, more than a lot of other MFSL releases.

Mr. Explorer and Gabe Walters like this.
  24. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

While I'm excited for these Miles Davis and Bob Dylan titles, I'll also push back on the idea that MOFI isn't or hasn't been reissuing titles off the beaten path. And yes, I'd like them to do more, too, but look at this list, including the Silver Label and Wax Cathedral:

Anthrax
    The B-52s
    Sisters of Mercy
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    10,000 Maniacs
    Natalie Merchant
    Cyndi Lauper
    Men at Work
    Judas Priest
    Ryan Adams
    The Knack
    The Cars
    Marshall Crenshaw
    Pixies
    Elvis Costello
    Los Lobos
    The Pretenders
    Weezer
    Hall and Oates
    R.E.M.
    John Cale

Not saying I care for all these, but this list demonstrates some commitment beyond the typical '60s and '70s warhorses.

25. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Maybe, but does it still hold up today musically? I don't think so.

HappyFunMiles and Echo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.