The Hunt for the Zodiac Killer

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Borgia, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night Thread Starter

Has anyone watched the first episode of this new show on the History Channel? It came on last week after Oak Island, and in comparison to a lot of the stuff they do on the HC, I thought this was well done.
    This show is built on the premise that there is a connection between a 1966 murder in Riverside, Ca. with the Zodiac killings in the Bay area, which I remember reading about in the Robert Graysmith book. According to the show, the Riverside po-po played it close to the vest with other LE agencies, not sharing much information about their killing. A newspaper reporter who covered the killing, as well as the subsequent Zodiac murders, thought there was a connection. He is now dead, but his nephew had boxes of stuff he had on the cases; his notes from interviews with the cops, etc. In his notes he repeatedly named a suspect in the Riverside killing. This suspect moved to the Bay area in 1968, just before the Zodiac killings started. This dude fits the profile & even looks like the Z. Hopefully other episodes will be as good. Also, they have a bunch of computer nerds going over the encoded messages or cyphers the killer sent to papers & LE.
    The Hunt for the Zodiac Killer Full Episodes, Video & More | HISTORY
    [​IMG]

2. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I also thought it was much better than the usual HC trash. I want to see the next episode. I wish they would explain why even to this day Riverside police will not release any of their suspect names. Doesn't make sense to me. I thought the show made a pretty damn compelling argument for Ross Sullivan as a suspect. I want to see what else they reveal about him on the next episode.

Borgia likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Scenes in the movie scared the crap out of me.

Jason Manley, ssmith3046 and Borgia like this.
  4. The code analysis stuff was the most interesting aspect.

5. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I agree that was cool. It was also explained in a way I could understand.

6. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I agree - the scene by the lake is something I won't watch again. I wouldn't say it was especially violent or bloody, but it's horrifying. I suppose that's a testimony to the filmmakers - but, as I said I don't want to see it again.

7. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I've read in a couple of places that Robert Graysmith's book has a lot of errors in it. I don't know enough to know if it's true.

8. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I don't think they mentioned if Ross Sullivan is still alive.....how long will
    they keep us in suspense about that?!

9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I love that movie.

10. Borgia

I'm sure it'll get to that. I copied this from a blog I ran across while searching for info on Ross Sullivan.

Per the History channel's website, Sullivan was hospitalized several times for bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. His current whereabouts appear to be unknown, though according to the series, he was born in 1941, which would make him about 76 if he's still living. Most of the blogs speculating about Sullivan claim that he died in 1977, per a Find a Grave entry for a Ross M. Sullivan who lived in Santa Cruz, California.

Sullivan is not a new suspect, I came across articles & blogs from a few years ago mentioning him as a suspect. For some reason he is not as well known as others.

11. Steve Hoffman

Me too.

12. I watched a bit of this last night, and it seemed to me that it was presenting a lot of fairly well-known facts and information (among those with some familiarity with the case, that is) as startling new revelations. Par for the course with reality TV, I suppose.

13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That's one of scenes I was thinking of. What a great cast too.

14. Steve Hoffman

I kept thinking when I watched that scene "It's Roger Rabbit, it's Roger Rabbit" but didn't help much. Still creeped out.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. Borgia

I took a couple of things away from last nights episode. That was weird/chilling to see the pants the girl was wearing when she was murdered in Riverside in 1966. They still carried the dirt and bloodstains. They took a sample of a blood spot that they surmise may have been from the killer. Also, a 1963 murder of a young couple in Santa Barbara is thought to be an early Z killing. Oddly enough, the SB police don't want to share any info or talk about it with anyone.
    They named a different suspect last night, he was picked out of a lineup by the woman who escaped Z with her infant daughter. They actually talked to the daughter.

16. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

Still looking interesting after last night's episode!

17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

So much time has passed, and lines have gotten blurred when it comes to evidence and testimony. Robert Graysmith has always maintained that Arthur Leigh Allen was the Zodiac killer, and I don't think he has changed his position. It's interesting how many "new" suspects come out of the woodwork every five years or so, and there have been several supposed "death bed confessions" in recent years. I've been fascinated with the Zodiac killings since I saw the movie ten years ago, and as far as I'm concerned it is one of the best movies of this century. We will probably never get a definitive answer when it comes to the identity of the Zodiac killer, but it is fun to speculate. On a side note....there are at least 3 very informative websites that delve into the Zodiac murders, one could spend months sifting through all the information and potential suspects.

18. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

My favorite thing about this scene actually doesn't have anything to do with the story itself. At 1:29 of this scene, in the background you can see a box that if you were able to see the entire thing, would say Baker & Taylor (which is a book and entertainment product distributor). In the clip, you really can make out "Taylor." I was the marketing director for this company for many years and all official branding was my responsibility, so I knew the logo anywhere (also identifiable by the small amount of subtext under the name as well as the font). First time I saw this movie in the theater I immediately asked my wife what the hell that was doing in the background??? Certainly not of the time period of the film.

19. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

One of them that I spent some time on pretty much says that Graysmith's book is full of crap. They lay it all out exactly why and how he's wrong about a lot of the things that he wrote in that book. I can put it up here if anyone is interested.

20. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Missed this episode - I hope I can tvr a repeat. Anyone know if there's a way to stream it from the network's web site?

21. Borgia

One thing I've noticed, our Zodiac detectives Sal & Ken follow the typical History Channel leads, every find is "this is huge".
    I'm more impressed by the code breaking team. The 13 moon calendar (which I had never heard of) and the discovery of all the known Z murders (and the Lake Tahoe disappearance) taking place on Dali, whose symbol is a circle with a cross inside, the Zodiac symbol. That to me is groundbreaking.

22. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

Zodiac has fascinated me for years, and I was really excited to watch this show after seeing this thread. Last night, I watched the first two episodes, and while I can be happy watching just about anything Zodiac-related, it really saddens me to see how they're using a lot of the typical reality TV show gimmicks. I'll still watch, but it's just annoying that they don't feel the facts are interesting enough by itself, and that somehow the show needs idiotic sound-effects, cliff-hangers, and one-liners.

Toby Benjamin and Dudley Morris like this.
  23. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Fertile ground for some out there speculation, we have Jack, who's been identified too many time to recall. Having said that I'm not sure when I'll be able to see this, to make a more considered judgement.

Borgia likes this.
  24. I enjoy the codebreaking segments more than the detectives, but they have to stop that gimmick of the graphic representing the computer working on a solution. There is always an overly long dramatic pause before answers are revealed.

25. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

The graphics are horrible, but what about the PC fan sounds winding up and down?? Are they using a 1989 Packard Bell 386??

Lownote30 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.