Nick Drake

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Anyone else love this one by Piers Faccini & Camille...quite a great cover.

2. lemonade kid

Definitely a feel for Nick with his own voice on his own tunes.

Mostly I love Piers' original material--check him out

Miriam likes this.
  3. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I have the 2010 SHMs (2000 mastering?). Sound great. The only thing that sounds better to me, in terms of digital, is the Treasury SACD, but it's only by a matter of degrees.
    Haven't noticed an unusual amount of tape hiss on The Bryter Layter SHM, but will listen for it next time I spin it.

PhantomStranger and auralden like this.
  4. This was my introduction to him back in the '80s and I still have this. Apparently Joe Boyd was never happy with this compilation - they didn't use first generation master tapes or something, so he claims the sound is compromised.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. A troubling read, as I think I posted this somewhere else. Some great insights and stories unfortunately mixed with unsubstantiated conjecture about Drake's life and the circumstances around his suicide. Left me with the distinct feeling that either Trevor Dann knew more than he was letting on, or he was being sensationalist because he felt he had to offer a 'final solution' to the various theories that have burbled around about Nick Drake's lifestyle and death.

6. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

It was released by Hannibal in 1986 on CD I have the disc in my hand right now. My second Nrake disc after Bryter Layter

7. I've also got this as a single vinyl LP.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

So is there a Nick Drake album poll?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Front 242 Addict likes this.
  9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I felt that, too.

The 'suicide' note to Sophia Ryde (a name not chronicled in the Drake story until that book) was the big news. Dann/Sophia doesn't explain what was in the note or whether it still exists.

10. alexpop

Unaware of this. Puts a different slant on things.

11. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

alexpop likes this.
  12. alexpop

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  13. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

Bit of an odd question this, and one which I have a feeling I already know the answer to.

Are there any known photos of Nick after the photo session on Hampstead Heath in November 1971?

14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I finally got around to trying the original Island CDs after having the remasters for years and I agree the originals are a little nicer. The remasters are not really bad, if more early to mid 2000s remasters were like that we'd all be a lot happier; but as others have said the remasters are eq'd and goosed up in the low end to me. This boost seems to encroach on the midrange as well, and that in combination with a little more loudness seems to deaden the mids and upper airiness some. The originals have a bit more overtones and frankly magic to them; I am not getting any deep bottom end from them, but then I am not sure I am really wanting that out of these albums.

ian christopher, c-eling and hvbias like this.
  15. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

That is exactly how I would describe it, the remastered are by no means bad and I'd be very happy with them if they were all I heard but the original Hannibal/Island CDs are just exceptional. I posted my comparison somewhere earlier last year in this thread.

bmoregnr likes this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Can you post a DR of Pink Moon when you get a chance?
    I've got an excellent sounding 92 Canadian Ryko manufacture (very natural sounding), curious if the mastering is the same or close.

ian christopher likes this.
  17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Pink Moon IMCD 94

DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR12 -0.44 dB -16.22 dB 01 - Pink Moon.m4a
    DR11 -2.60 dB -16.19 dB 02 - Place To Be.m4a
    DR14 -1.50 dB -17.57 dB 03 - Road.m4a
    DR12 -2.55 dB -18.45 dB 04 - Which Will.m4a
    DR14 -3.87 dB -23.90 dB 05 - Horn.m4a
    DR13 -2.22 dB -17.00 dB 06 - Things Behind The Sun.m4a
    DR12 -2.00 dB -17.00 dB 07 - Know.m4a
    DR13 -1.33 dB -17.30 dB 08 - Parasite.m4a
    DR12 -2.35 dB -17.01 dB 09 - Free Ride.m4a
    DR13 -3.97 dB -19.10 dB 10 - Harvest Breed.m4a
    DR13 -1.91 dB -17.56 dB 11 - From The Morning.m4a
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Number of files: 11
    Official DR value: DR13

c-eling likes this.
  18. alexpop

Mention of Vashti Bunyan.
    Julie Tippetts "Now If You Remember" springs to mind.

19. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

Skip first couple on minutes ( news).

21. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

Keith Morris was Nick's photographer of choice, so I'm doubtful.
    The Nick Drake Portfolio - Keith Morris Gallery
    [​IMG]
    Keith did a filmed interview for his ND photo exhibition "3 Days" in the summer of 2004.
    Had the dubious pleasure of listening to Keith describe the last session... when ND was in a very bad place.
    Keith's shots are pretty harrowing.

Steve Edwards click here for the photo

If some clever person can bung the pic onto here, please do.
    Tried & failed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  22. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

If memory serves the voice over was originally by Danny Thompson (Nicks double bass player/Pentangle/John Martin) and they dubbed on some Hollywood film star's voice

23. lemonade kid

Always wondered why they did that. Especially since Danny had a deep connection to Nick, and would be a more appropriate choice. Guess they thought Pitt would bring in more viewers. Fans would have likely tuned in because it was about Nick Drake, not because Brad Pitt did the narration (not dissing Brad, love many of his films, but...I'm just sayin').

24. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

By all accounts, Brad Pitt is a genuine fan of Nick Drake. Still, I can see why some may regard his involvement as a slap in the face to Danny Thompson’s original narration.

25. lemonade kid

I can believe that. Pitt is a deep guy and is much more than his Hollywood persona...Nick would seem right up his alley.

stepeanut likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.