Big Country - Not in Kansas - The Live Bootleg Box Set 1993-1998 5CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by negative1, Nov 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I grabbed that and the 4 Singles boxes and also bought all of the Rarities discs here in classifieds. Not one regret.

negative1 likes this.
  2. eelkiller

I ws going to say that I have just over 30 CD's and own all of the originals and remasters so you must have all of the singles, EP's etc. Very impressive.

3. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Actually I have very few singles or EPs. I have a ton of live BC and best of cds.

eelkiller likes this.
  4. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Which live ones would you recommend? As I said, I got Come Up Screaming recently (like it, but a bit too much crowd singalongs) and I've just received the 2cd BBC set (not played it yet).

I'd really like to get the 2cd version of Without The Aid Of A Safety Net, but it seems to be rare and therefore overpriced.

Any others you'd recommend, particularly on sound quality?

Thanx!

jay.dee likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Most people in the US have no awareness of BC after 1984. A hardy handful of us stuck with them for their entire career! :)

6. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

They had plenty of great songs after the heyday - on the WHOLE, they did kind of lose the plot but I would absolutely argue that every album is worth owning
    If the sound isn't all squashed to hell I will pick this up for sure
    The 2CD BBC set is outstanding imo - they were a kick ass live unit.

wrappedinsky and jay.dee like this.
  7. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Ah, so it was YOU that beat me to them......

wrappedinsky and eelkiller like this.
  8. Harry Hood

Just played it today. I enjoyed Come Up Screaming better - more energy, fuller sound.

9. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

hmmmmmm, I will have to look into that then! I don't have that one.

10. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

I had kind of lost track of Big Country after 1993 and the "Buffalo Skinners" album, but by chance somebody gave me a copy of "Driving to Damascus" and luckily I rediscovered them and a lot of their later stuff which is really good.
    The "Final Fling" is a must have for any BC fan - it is fabulous.

11. Harry Hood

ytserush and Sandinista like this.
  12. Harry Hood

Just compared the setlists. It looks like the Come Up Screaming 2cd set is the audio of The Final Fling dvd. And it's great!

13. eelkiller

Sandinista likes this.
  14. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan Thread Starter

15. moni

moni Forum Resident

Reports going about now from people who have listened to this that these are actual bootleg recordings and that the sound quality is very poor. Pity as i was looking forward to this but i won't be buying it now.

16. Oatsdad

Thanks for that - just canceled my Amazon order.

Will reinstate it if the reviews change...

17. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

So, the release is called 'The Live Bootleg Box' and people are disappointed that there are actual bootleg recordings in it?

I'm guessing that these same people are disappointed in the white liquid when they buy a quart of milk.

18. Oatsdad

Plenty of artists put out official releases that they call "bootlegs" - the term doesn't mean what it did 30 years ago, as it's become co-opted.

Dylan has an entire "Bootleg Series" - those are still official releases with good sound...

19. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan Thread Starter

despite what seem to bad reviews, i'm still getting it. i've put up with poor quality recordings before.

however, i would actually like to the hear the tracks before making a decision.

later

wayneklein likes this.
  20. Agent 34

Agent 34 Forum Resident

Oh dear. Other than a sleazy cash grab, I’m not sure what the band members who contributed liner notes or a reputable company like Cherry Red were thinking when putting their names to this.

I’ve never seen an official release take the bootleg moniker so literally.

It’s dedicated to the memory of Stuart Adamson. What a horrible way to honour him. They should have left these bootlegs on the file sharing sites they got them from.

21. Oatsdad

Wait - have you actually heard the CDs?

22. Agent 34

Agent 34 Forum Resident

Yes, I paid £23 for the box set. Yikes.

I’ve quickly sampled each recording. Even as audience recordings they vary from adequate (Minneapolis) to poor (Glasgow Tower Records). On top of that, I’ve already noticed the beginning of In a Big Country on disc 4 fades in on the first verse. Things like that do not make for a satisfactory official release.

There can be and often is a certain charm to audience recordings. That charm is mostly if not completely lost when a record company decides to profit from them.

The intro in the booklet is by John Gouveia who curated the box set, owns the bigcountryinfo.com fansite and assists in The Great Divide podcast, which is a fantastic listen. So it’s difficult for me to think that his heart wasn’t in the right place and you could argue that this is a box set by the hardcore fans for the hardcore fans. But as a listening experience, it’s getting the Amazon customer reviews it deserves.

Partyslammer likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Thanks! I figured you'd heard the CDs but on the Internet, you never know! :)

This is really unfortunate. With decent-sounding CDs, I would've been all in on this one - crap, I was all in, as I badgered others to buy it!

As much as I love BC and want to support new BC product, I won't buy some half-assed collection of bootlegs...

24. Well I took the advice here (initially) and ordered it. It arrived today. Tried to cancel but it had already shipped.

25. Ok, glad I got the box. Are the shows all stellar in terms of sound quality? No but for BC obsessives, the sound quality varies from pretty good to decent. As an experience, I think it would be essential to own these shows. I dhave not think this is an insult to Adamson's memory at all and Bruce Watson's comments are interesting.

I wouldn't call them half assed. I think they did a pretty good job here. They vary with some sounding about the same as an FM broadcast of a show. They aren't soundboard recordings intended for the masses but some even sound like they are pulled from DATs of shows for the band to review themselves.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Sandinista likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.