Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fortunately he and his hair plugs are easy to avoid.

Keith V, Vidiot, dlokazip and 2 others like this.
  2. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

"The Couch Trip" with Dan Aykroyd, Walter Matthau, and Charles Grodin.
    I remember falling asleep in the movie house.

3. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I never saw this (Caddyshack II). From the trailers it looked beyond horrible.

4. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The director wanted Howard Stern for the film, but he backed out. Walter Matthau was cast in the role meant for Stern, note the wig Matthau is wearing which resembles Howard’s hairstyle.

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault and Rubberpigg like this.
  5. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

anything with ben stiller.

not funny to me.

Tanx, goodiesguy, beat_truck and 3 others like this.
  6. I once watched "Happy Gilmore" on an airplane, because I couldn't sleep. Never again.

MikaelaArsenault and Jerry like this.
  7. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

First things first: I cannot stand Woody Allen in anything. He is regarded as a major filmmaker and comedic genius, yet all I want to do when I see/hear him on-screen is to punch him and tell him to stop whining.
    For the record: I have tried, I have really tried. I sat through "Hannah and Her Sisters" recently, and it was the same frustration-inducing, self-congratulatory ego fest I remember from any of his other works. No more.

The only Judd Apatow film I have actually enjoyed parts of is "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" and the parts I enjoyed were solely due to John C. Reilly and the songwriters who worked on the film (I have the BR just for the songs). The song parodies had WIT, a word I suspect Apatow has never heard of.

"The Blues Brothers" started as a fun, surreal buddy movie, and got ruined by the escalating orgy of destruction towards the end. Way too much, way too long.

"Analyze This/That" and "Meet the Fockers" are really not "films" in any dramatic sense, just lots of skits strung together, but some of the material is very funny. The 'milking' scene and the prayer in "Fockers" are hilarious,
    and seeing Billy Crystal and Robert DeNiro riffing off each other in the "Analyze" films is priceless.

Spielberg proved he has a tin ear for comedy in "1941", with a great cast wasted on an alternatively over-produced and juvenile-smutty script. The film's saving grace is as a late example of great physical effects work and large-scale model building.

"Life is Beautiful" is grotesque, a mish-mash of moods that make for grating, un-funny viewing. Benigni works as hard as Jerry Lewis, to much the same result.

On the "banned" list:
    Adam Sandler
    Any of the more recent SNL grads
    Jerry Lewis
    Jim Carrey
    Woody Allen

Finally, two TV shows that have been massive hits, "Seinfeld" and "Friends", have yet to yield a millisecond of pleasure for me. I have struggled manfully through a couple of episodes over the years, simply to see what I am missing, and I have come to the conclusion that I am not missing anything :)

C.

8. You could almost work as a reverse indicator for me, as almost everything you hate I enjoy and vise versa. Except I also love the Dewey Cox music (and the whole movie) and I agree about Adam Sandler movies -but everything else we are of opposite tastes. :)

9. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I watched it on a flight to London. Other than watching a movie I hadn't see, I was less than impressed too. I'm a fan of Will Farrell movies, but Get Hard is a stinker.

10. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Doctor Detroit
    Ishtar
    Animal House and the Blues Brothers haven't aged well for me, thought they were funny when they came out, not so much now.

11. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Heat-Enjoyable only if you want to listen to a potty mouthed Melissa McCarthy for 2 hours straight-nonstop.

melstapler and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  12. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I had a tequila hangover over the Everglades in a small prop plane. The pain and discomfort is burned into my synapses.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep, same here. I worked on the WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY film a little bit and thought it was a riot, even though it wound up as a huge bomb.

I liked a lot of Woody Allen's films in the 1960s and 1970s ("the early, funnier films"), but he's been hit and miss since then. I also liked a lot of Jerry Lewis' 1950s and early 1960s films, but that went south very quickly after that.

Pete Puma likes this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

This atrocity is coming on Freeform tonight.

[​IMG]

:hurl:

Jerry likes this.
  15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Pixels

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

It's funny. I like a lot of the ones people have mentioned. :)

17. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

How bout this one

Holy Diver, rburly and Pete Puma like this.
  18. Trace

Trace Senior Member

After going through 22 pages of this thread, I have come to the realization that most SHTVers must not have a sense of humor whatsoever.

There are so many very funny movies listed here that it makes me shake my head in amazement...

Don't get me wrong, though, there are also some real stinkers listed here, too.

19. MikaelaArsenault

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

21. MikaelaArsenault

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

23. MikaelaArsenault

24. MikaelaArsenault

I’m just simply not a fan of his work. He has a really obnoxious (and not to mention annoying) voice, but my parents like him though.

25. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels: laughter-free zone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.