Tanita Tikaram — thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unfashionable, maybe, but I rather like her. A distinctive voice, anyway. Have enjoyed the first two abums but not ventured further. Any fans here? If so any recommendations post-Sweet Keeper?

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

one-hit wonder.

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  3. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do you measure the merit of an artist on the number of hits they had? That would make Mariah Carey more valid than the Velvet Underground.

Chance, hangwire13, BwanaBob and 38 others like this.
  4. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

I'm only familiar with the first 2 albums, but I really like her. She has a really unique voice.

Bolampau, Alan2, Jarleboy and 5 others like this.
  5. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I like her. I streamed her 2016 record, Closer to the People recently, and it's quite good.
    Hits are overrated.

6. agn

agn Forum Resident

No way her first two albums are great! Rod Argent produced!

7. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Ah, yes...the rabbit hole that is the Steve Hoffman Forums. Where people criticize an artist's lack of commercial successes while they simultaneously rail against the horridness of the top 40. :laugh:

Tanita Tikarum is and has been consistent, IMO. Quality.

8. agn

agn Forum Resident

New album from 2016 sounds good. Tanita Tikaram Official Site

9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

A one-hit wonder with nine albums? Must be a cat then:uhhuh:

10. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

:laughup:

strummer101 likes this.
  11. Joey The Lemur

Joey The Lemur Forum Resident

I haven't thought of her in quite some time, but I had/have the first two, maybe three albums and enjoyed them. I always dug the track "You Make The Whole World Cry." (I think that's what it was titled)

Jarleboy and Alan2 like this.
  12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

weep for his students. weep for them.

Andrew J and strummer101 like this.
  13. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

My big brother got the cassette of her first album Ancient Heart back in 88-89 to play in his Opel Kadett. I quite liked it at the age of 10. Every time I hear those songs or glimpses of more recent material I think «oh yes, I should check her out more». Never really got around to it.

That album was a complete blockbuster hit here in Norway by the way.

Bolampau, Alan2 and Jarleboy like this.
  14. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

Best name ever

strummer101 likes this.
  15. John22

John22 Forum Resident

Jarleboy and smilin ed like this.
  16. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I really like her 2005 album 'Sentimental' which includes a couple of collaborations with Nick Lowe. She's a bit of an acquired taste, but once acquired it's hard not to like nearly everything she does. Very consistent, very professional, very loyal to her fan base.

Jarleboy, Chris DeVoe, Larsen and 2 others like this.
  17. izaboo

izaboo Forum Resident

I have all her records, she's great. I really like The Sweet Keeper and Lovers In The City but there are great songs on all her albums. Great voice!

Jarleboy, Defrance, agn and 2 others like this.
  18. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I like her recent output better, because she sings more in her natural range, and she sounds great. When she was popular some 25 years ago she often sang unnecessarily low, monotonous and sounded artificial (especially on her biggest hit, I find it ridiculous and irritating).
    She's definitely an interesting artist, IMO.

Jarleboy and Andrew J like this.
  19. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Yep, new album is quite good. I have all her albums too.

Jarleboy, Alan2 and pghmusiclover like this.
  20. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I really liked her single "Twist In My Sobriety" from 1988. I don't know if this is the 'one-hit' mentioned above.
    Haven't heard any more of her work, and strangely never got around to searching for more.

21. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

That's what turned me on. The video was arresting, and that song is surreal (and I'm never sure I understand it's meaning). Her voice and delivery reminds me of Margot Timmins.

I am prone to tell the occasional person that he-she is twist in my sobriety....

Jarleboy and Chris DeVoe like this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

that's pretty much the one hit.

and from what's posted above and what i could find on the internet she never even charted in the U.S. not even 'a twist in my sobriety".

and never once, ever did i say anything negative about her at all.....NOT A SINGLE NEGATIVE WORD.

all i stated was, what i thought was the truth, and i found out that in the U.s. that it wasn't true at all.........but still......nothing NEGATIVE...........

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Jarleboy and qwerty like this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I've got her first two albums then she faded from view. I believe she has made the odd unsuccessful comeback album. The music industry changed and that style of female singer songwriter went out of fashion.

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. danomar

danomar My spoon is too big.

I am unafraid to say that I liked her first album. It was interesting to hear a Native American and her voice was interesting. Musically, however, there has not been much more to her—at least what I have heard. She was marketed and stamped out by the industry.

Alan2 likes this.
  25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The solution is simple..even the worst teacher in the world would know it. If you don't know what you're talking about then say nothing.

smilin ed likes this.