King Crimson "Sailors' Tales" Mega Box (November 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Just to clarify the above, this is what we know about the 'unidentified shows':

The first 'unidentified show' is 100% the same show (albeit incomplete) as the audience recording / bootleg listed as Santa Monica 19 March 72. (the location can't be totally verified but no particular reason to doubt it)

Support on the Santa Monica bill was The Blues Project & Fairport Convention. (Is it likely there would have been 2 shows in one day with a 3 act bill? Anyone remember?)

Fripp introduces the show "thank you for being patient for two years" (on the audience recording) , and at the end says "maybe we'll see you in two years time" so there's no reason to infer that the second comment might imply it's the last night of the tour (as in the booklet).

In the audience recording there are technical problems delaying the start of the show.

In the second 'unidentified show' Boz refers to technical trouble in the 'first half'. (Could this mean it's a second show from the same date? It's worth noting that many shows of this era featured technical problems usually caused by mellotrons).

I realise some people are less interested in this sort of thing than others. Any thoughts?

KDubATX, Archtop, Kalli and 2 others like this.
  2. jblock

jblock Senior Member

I agree that it's unlikely that there were two shows at Santa Monica based on the three group bill.
    Regarding the second show, it's one of those few shows where the drum solo is out of Sailor's Tale, so most likely no Groon that night. The "first half bit" is a mystery. Is this the second of two shows? Why wouldn't Boz have said "earlier show" then? Is Boz referring to a different band that played before Crimson?

Archtop and penguinzzz like this.
  3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Who played bass on the Blows came up earlier in the thread - Blow #3 is almost certainly Rick Kemp on bass. On page 23 of the booklet he discusses "playing on G minor for some considerable time" which must be Blow #3. Now, obviously we can't know if Blows 1, 2 and 3 are actually numbered chronologically (one might reasonably conclude that the Larks-esque material on Blow #3 wouldn't be attempted until some evidence had emerged that the band could actually gel on something less challenging), and I understand your point about the playing on Blow #1 being less aggressive than the playing on #2 and #3, but the way the booklet portrays things, the gig was Kemp's until he ultimately turned it down. It was only after this that Boz was recruited for bass. So I'm inclined to think that it's Kemp on all three, but I have no hard evidence to support this.

Anyway, if one is considering buying this box based on the Blows, I'm not sure that they are compelling enough to tip the scales. I mean, I find them quite interesting, but I'm a "dig into the weeds" type. I still haven't managed to get into the nuts and bolts of this set yet, so I can't comment on the more standard fare here.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

The fact that the (complete) first show has a version of Groon that leads into a one-off jam on Sailors Tale themes (with no Formentera / ST), while as you say the second features FL /ST and no Groon, would be a point in favour of them being two shows from the same date...

Archtop and jblock like this.
  5. jblock

jblock Senior Member

It could definitely be Kemp on all three Blows. The first one sounds more like a microphone or two set up in the room, whereas blows 2 and 3 sound like some of the instruments are going direct, or at least recording better with microphones. I also agree that there's no way Boz was playing at this level when these were supposed to have been recorded, which would have to have been January. It's said that Boz picked up the bass 11 weeks before the first gig, which would be the beginning of February.

RockNRod, Archtop and penguinzzz like this.
  6. Perhaps it's another take of Groon performed by the Islands or Lizard line up in the studio?

asdf35 likes this.
  7. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

My quote was from before we knew the scope of the box set. The boxset title referred to Islands, but a "Groon" reel implied Poseidon. Very happy to have the whole era consolidated.

I wish we had a studio Groon from the.........Larks' line up!!

8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Or I suppose there could have been a third bass player we just don't know about. Wetton was asked to join at some point around this time but declined (or was that the Gordon Haskell incarnation?) and I don't hear his style in any of those.

9. jblock

jblock Senior Member

I agree, none of the blows sound like Wetton and it seems like he would not have had to audition for the bass seat. Wetton was asked to join in Spring 1971, when Boz was already installed as the bass player. Probably March based on Mel Collins' recollection that both he and Ian Wallace told Fripp he really had to give Boz a chance on bass.

RockNRod, Kalli and Archtop like this.
  10. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

As already discussed, the Poseidon, Lizard and Islands “Alternate Albums” on the Sailors’ Tales Blu-rays use recent Crimson performances to fill in a few gaps where little or no contemporary material is available.

Since no alternate version of Moonchild appears to exist, its sudden (and delightful) inclusion in the current Crimson repertoire convinces me that a 50th anniversary Court set is definitely on its way...

Electric Sydney, Percy Song and Plan9 like this.
  11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Listening to some of these live shows, I'd love to see the current incarnation play Groon.

12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Yeah, and drop "Pictures of a City."

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  13. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

just Curious whiCh live show you thinK has the best sound quality, not neCCessarily performanCe from this set?

14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Summit Studios, the only multi-track show. Sounds great.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  15. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

No! Always a treat, always different.

16. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Which are the exclusive Steven Wilson mixes in this set? “Devil’s Triangle Part III” stereo and 5.1 remixes, Lizard “flat transfer” stereo mix (actually SW’s first pass at stereo remix)...anything else?

17. Say It Right

It's filling the Mel Collins quota and to include something from ITWOP. The song's been featured practically if not actually every time since this lineup emerged, while some other vital material has been relegated to the dust bin.

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No, that's it.

tonewheeltom likes this.
  19. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

Interesting assertion re: quota - I suppose you know best. Presumably, Fripp is following this thread, and the setlist will be modified accordingly.

20. Say It Right

If you hadn't felt the need to counter the remark and keep the "debate" going , it would've been already forgotten. Nevertheless, it's not hard to figure out. It's already known that the main crowd pleasers are from ITCOTCK (despite OP's assertion that "Schizoid Man" should've gotten the axe) and Wetton/Bruford era. They started including regular selections from the '71-'72, while adding a few from the Pat era. No, he didn't PM to ask if it should've been dropped with "Sailors Tale" kept.

21. jblock

jblock Senior Member

I've listened to each Blow about 5 times now. The first one is tough to get through. Ian Wallace is trying so hard to get something going but it's just noodling. I don't think I've ever heard Mel Collins so uninspired. Blows 2 and 3 are marginally better. Blows 2 has Collins on flute and Blows 3 has Fripp kicking on the overdrive. Or maybe it's because Blows 2 and 3 are 27 and 25 minutes long vs. Blows 1 at 45 minutes? No wonder they had such trouble finding a bass player. Did they not even attempt one Crimson song? Don't buy the box just for these.

22. jblock

jblock Senior Member

I'd be happy to hear Pictures of a City at every show. Red, on the other hand.... The only tune I don't prefer with this incarnation, mainly due to the plodding drum arrangement.

23. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I love that they're playing PoaC nowadays though I'm not too sure I like that they've replaced the middle section with a sax solo. That build-up from a bass riff was an integral part of the song, not filler.

Joe McKee and TFEC like this.
  24. jblock

jblock Senior Member

That's pretty much the arrangement for the song since it was first played live in 1971.

TFEC likes this.
  25. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

Yeah, not a sax solo - group improvisation within the framework of the original. Hair raising, inspiring, and different every time. That's why it's essential - every time.

jblock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.