Portable bluetooth speaker

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bernard W, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Yep, I love my UE Boom II - waterproof, drop proof, SO portable, and for the size of the thing it gives serious volume without getting horribly distorted.

I also have a Cambridge Audio Air 100 V2 for my home office and that gives a somewhat richer sound but it's very much rooted to the desk. :)

Wasabi and alexpop like this.
  2. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I finally settled on the JBL Charge 3, and I love it. You can't kill that battery on that sucker, and the sound is decent enough. I'd probably prefer the "bigger" sound of the Extreme, but the Charge gives me what I need.

jricc likes this.
  3. georgetalkative

georgetalkative Active Member

Some of the good factors to focused on while getting the portable bluetooth speakers:

1. Install Process
    2. Design
    3. Features
    4. Sound Quality
    5. App
    6. Advantages & Disadvantages

Considering all of those key components anyone can identify the proper speaker.

My brother and I have 2 speakers actually and really spend a big time arguing which is the best. I'd recommend JBL Charge 3 vs Flip 4 and to decide between them. I've tried them, used them and they both are incredible speakers.

RoyalScam likes this.
  4. prashant mahto

prashant mahto Member

Few people realize the wonders of a speaker that can give solid and clear bass sound. So, if you are in need of one bass speaker that will have Bluetooth connectivity for portability, you can check out the list of Best Speakers for Bass available in the market.

5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I was on the same quest a few months ago and settled on the Aiwa Exos 9. I based my decision on the online reviews that praised the sound quality and deep bass. And, you can crank it loud without distortion.

When I first plugged it in, my first impressions were - all of this is true. However, after listening for a few weeks I started noticing some strange things:

Even though the EQ is turned off, the volume would go up and down especially during loud passages/transients. This was driving me crazy until I went to the Aiwa website. It seems the out of the box firmware includes a compressor effect, to protect the speakers. Luckily, there was a firmware update that removed this effect. I promptly downloaded and installed it. However, I SWEAR the effect is still there, albeit more subtle. I emailed Aiwa's tech support and have experienced radio silence.

Another oddity - I charge the battery to full, stow the speaker away and next time I fire it up - battery dead. This happens intermittently.

The pros have already been stated, but until I sort these issues out I sadly cannot recommend it.

6. carabrownv

carabrownv New Member

7. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

I've been through several, some cheap that popped up on deal sites that sound quite good. My current favorite is the UE Boom II and we have two of those. From the reviews the Megaboom 3 looks good. I'll pick one of those up when a deal pops up.

8. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

TheWirecutter.com is always updating their Bluetooth speaker recommendation. I’ve bought two of their budget choice, the Tribit X-Sound Go when they were on sale for less than $30.

9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Has anybody checked out Ikea's Eneby? It certainly is an attractively designed product!

[​IMG]

10. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

UE Boom rocks! Use it in the backyard and on the golf course.

Wasabi likes this.
  11. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I loved my original mini Boom.

12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I have a Cambridge Soundworks Oontz Angle3 +. I love it and it projects on two sides and has a decent battery life.

mds likes this.
  13. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I LOVE my Marshall Stanmore. Sounds great, long battery life, and really high on the cool factor! That said a friend has a no name unit that is exactly the same but in a generic box for a lot less money, though it does lack the cool factor!

mdm08033 likes this.
  14. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

These will surprise quite a few. They are truly worth a listen.

sunspot42 and action pact like this.
  15. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

REALLY?!

16. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

There seems to be a recent trend to produce portable speakers that point two ways! I guess the idea is that you can stick it in the middle of the room!
    I like a stereo speaker that points one way! I spent a lot of time in hotels and its surely inefficient if one speaker is pumping out music towards the wall and next doors room!
    I've tried TDK bluetooth speakers which aren't bad. Also the Bose Mini but my favourite has to be this...
    https://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Wireless-Speakers/Wireless-Speakers/T7-Wireless/shop.html

[​IMG]

mds likes this.
  17. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

FYI, now that the JBL Charge 4 is out, Target and Walmart now have clearance prices on their JBL Charge 3 speakers. Walmart’s in-store clearance price is/was $89. The ones I saw in-store at various Targets were $109 and $74. These were all in-store, while their online prices are still full retail.

18. mds

mds Forum Resident

KEF MUO looks like a great Bluetooth portable. It is not waterproof. I own the Cambridge Soundworks Oontz and have had no issue. I take it on all my vacations and the sound fills my hotel room nicely. I also use it outdoors when gardening and don't worry if it gets a little dirty or splashed with water. It is waterproof but never put it to the test. Certainly I would not dunk it. I was thinking of upgrading to the KEF but have no proof that it is going to be a real noticeable upgrade and the upcharge is a lot although KEF direct is selling it for half list price which is attracting my attention. I may just purchase the KEF for travel and continue to use the Cambridge when working out doors. The Cambridge battery life is great, charges quickly and sounds great considering its size and that it is made to be thrown around and get splashed.

19. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Yes, surprising as it may seem: really.

sunspot42 and RoyalScam like this.
  20. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

21. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

I have a Fugoo and it's very good, but the UE Boom trumps it.

22. georgetalkative

georgetalkative Active Member

If I may update my comment on this topic: despite that Boom 2 is great, I'd go with Boom 3 over its predecessor. It's IP67 certified and has a beautiful design, also has the hook loop and even delivers the sounds 'more spatially'. So, it's better to have Boom 3.

LivingForever likes this.
  23. mds

mds Forum Resident

To follow up, I did purchase the KEF MUO and it is a substantial improvement over the Cambridge Soundworks Oontz. You cannot compare the two. The KEF is a serious speaker and can play seriously loud and sounds wonderful. It is not waterproof and for its price you tend to baby it in terms of getting it dirty, dropping it or getting it wet. I have brought it outdoors and all I can say is wow, it blew me away at how nice it sounded in or outside.

24. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

25. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

We have JBL flip, pulse and a Cambridge soundwoorks oontz that sounds really good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.