Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2017-2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Opening was OK and weekend update was hilarious but everything else was not funny, borderline cringe worthy. First U2 song was OK, couldn't make it through the second one. They usually aren't THAT bad.

2. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

U2 were their usual, with Bono's new gimmick (the megaphone).

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yes but despite that, the second song they played was surprisingly good for aging has-beens. The best track I've heard from them in ages.

4. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Bono's use of a megaphone is neither new nor unique. But I suppose making an opportunity to dump on him isn't either. :rolleyes:

5. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I thought Bono's voice was sounding good.

I'm speaking to the quality of his voice, and not specifically to the quality of the song pre se.

6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

great episode tonight. so weird the show can be so hit and miss

Dan C likes this.
  7. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

First time I really laughed at an episode in about three weeks, I think. It was a weird one, but it worked.
    I kinda feel like Dave Franco did better, in terms of acting, in thirty seconds, than James did in the whole episode, though. :laugh:

Who was Scrunge (?), though? Colin?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  8. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Belly laughed during the Weekend Update with the lady's response to Che's comment about the polls being close in the AL senate race...

Skit about what the slang for pizza is or is not.... :thumbsdow
    Must be a NY comedy thing.

Just too many "in skit" gratuitous movie plugs for James F. and SNL cast members. :doh:

Disclosure... Never been a fan of James Franco. I thought his stint hosting the Academy awards was a dud.

ex_mixer and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Beck Bennett.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. OldSoul

Wasn't he playing a regular person, though?

11. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. Matthew Tate

I thought the pizza skit was hilarious

Deesky and Marry a Carrot like this.
  13. OldSoul

Ah, guess I was just remembering wrong. That was a really good makeup job.

14. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Very funny up through Weekend Update not much after that. I didn't think the Pizza sketch was funny.

MikaelaArsenault and Zep Fan like this.
  15. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Reasonably good show last night. Made it to the end and didn't have to ff through any terrible/flat sketches. Enjoyed it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

With the Santa cold opening bit, SNL finally figured out how to handle the current wave of sexual harassment news. It was excellent. Some of the kids flubbed it big time, but Keenan kept it moving like a real pro. Nicely done all around.

Very strong episode overall IMHO. Weekend Update was stellar, and I especially loved Che's "Liberal White Girl" bit. I wonder if he'll do more remote pieces after this one went over so well?

Every sketch worked well, some not as strong as others but overall one of the best episodes this season. This is why I don't ever see myself giving up on SNL. Some weeks are frustrating, but when it all works it's a thing of wonder.

dan c

davenav, Deesky and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Did Franco break character in every sketch he was in, or just a couple? Seems like he couldn't look at Pete Davidson without losing it.

18. Matthew Tate

what was funny to me was that he had all these charts and stuff about how to saw it and what it was short for and then after he got the guy found guilty on that junk also had a pic of him at the scene of the crime

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I really liked this ep, including the musical numbers. Franco was great and really made the difference. Loved the spelling bee sketch and the pete-za bit as well. Opening sketch was good (except the kids staring at the cue cards) and Weekend Update was good too. The movie promotion stuff was a bit on the nose, but at least they put in a few digs about Franco's 'non-successes'. Overall, good ep.

20. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

21. OldSoul

I thought so at first, but it turned enough into its own thing for me to judge it on its own.

New head writers. ‘SNL’ Names Michael Che, Colin Jost Co-Head Writers
    I hadn't realized Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider left. I really thought they revitalized the show last season. Maybe their departure explains this season's more average writing. I'm a bit afraid...last time Colin was head writer, I nearly gave up on the show every week. I've grown to love him as WU anchor, but I'm not sure how I feel about him being head writer. We'll see... I think Michael could be good in the role.

Dan C likes this.
  22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Well now he's only one of four... I'm not sure how four people can share being the "head" of a team like that but I don't work there....

OldSoul likes this.
  23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Weekend Update was good. There. . . I said something good about this episode. That was about it. I really want to like this season but last was better so far.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wow, I watched one of the repeats they showed on Saturday from 2005. The difference in star power was startling.
    Hammond, Fey, Pohler, Armison, Forte, Maya, and supporting players were Sudekis, Samberg, Wiig, Hader. More than I can remember off the top of my head. Major charisma. Seems like the only star now is Kate McKinnon.

rburly and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

I think they actually have some pretty good people now- I like Beck Bennett and think Mikey Day has a lot of potential and is a cast member to watch. I think Kyle Mooney should be a bigger presence on the show but he seems to have been dialed back a bit this season.

Dan C and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.