Outlaw RR2160 thread.*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BDC, Dec 6, 2017.

1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks to the people here who pushed me toward the Outlaw, it's more than I expected it to be.
    I spent about 5 hours between modifying my stereo cabinet/ cleaning and rewiring my stereo and cable.
    Space is tight so it's more work for me than most doing this. Anticipation was high and the result for me was astonishing.

The only setting I moved was the bass management which I set at 80, and I don't feel like messing with it anymore...... It sounds great....I only just listened to a couple CDs--McCartney "Run devil run", Portishead "Dummy". Over time I'll get around to trying everything else. I need to make some adjustments on my TT before I try it... My Denon cassette deck is being overhauled at the moment. Still need to run my FM antenna, and a quick solder will be included.

This is the best stereo I've ever owned, about my 5th receiver, and I've been running the same JVC since 92. Prior to that old Pioneers and an MCS.
    I was worried about about making a lateral move or only a slight upgrade, but this wasn't the case.
    It's night and day........Well worth it...and the package came two days early.

eryoung, ex_mixer, Front Row and 29 others like this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Nothing like being thrilled with the results of a new purchase! Congrats on your new toy. Crank that sucker and listen to your whole music collection. :)

3. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Great to hear!

BDC likes this.
  4. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

If it made Run Devil Run sound good, you got a keeper! (Has to be realky high on the "most squashed/compressed/harsh sounding" list.)

mrdon, PhilBiker and BDC like this.
  5. BDC

Huh I never noticed it (RDR)sounding compressed. I always liked the album a lot.
    I hadn't listened to the album in ages, and I didn't select it in particular for a listening test, just reached into a stack of CDs and went for it. I'll have to try something less compressed tomorrow, it got late on me tonight before I had a lot of time to listen. Limited by neighbors close by. This sound will inspire me to listen.

6. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Glad to know you're so pleased with it, I've been thinking about it myself. I saw one at the recent NY Audio show, the Ohm speakers room used it, played a variety of CDs and it sounded great. By chance I ran into Steve Guttenberg who gave the Outlaw a rave review while I was there. I asked him, "So I should buy the Outlaw?". He nodded and said "Yes, or the Schiit (Ragnorak)." But that one costs twice as much, and the Outlaw RR 2160 offers so much for it's price. Please report back after you've spent more time with it.

SandAndGlass and PhilBiker like this.
  7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

What speakers are you running with the Outlaw? I have the Outlaw 2150, with Magneplanar MMGs. Love how the Outlaw handles the tough load with no problem. Barry Diament recommended I buy an Outlaw, as it's a high-current amp. Enjoy!!

Dan Steele, Funky54, tmtomh and 4 others like this.
  8. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Nice. Have my eye one of those since my Onkyo A-9555 got wonky after 10 years. Real, clean power and the analog bass-management is a great feature that's very rare. I also love the EQ options.

bluemooze likes this.
  9. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Isn't it great that EQ is coming back? Every time I try components that would leave my system without it, I am sorry.

10. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

A long, long, long long long long, long time ago I used to trust Steve Guttenberg's opinion.

Jeff

ps. This post is not a comment, in any way shape or form, on Outlaw or its products. I have tremendous respect for, and think very highly of, Outlaw and its products.

Cyclone Ranger and BDC like this.
  11. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

OK, but I can also trust my ears, and the demo I heard sounded very good. In the end should I decide to buy one it will ultimately be as it always must be, how does it sound in my room with the rest of my gear? An answer awaits down the line.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. BDC

I'm running Klipsch reference speakers and sub --RF25 towers and a 10" wireless sub.
    A grand at best, for new high retail.. I paid 220 for the towers used and 200 for the sub new (sale price) These are good speakers for me personally, though I know probably garbage to many audiophiles here. Maybe one day I'll step up, but this works well where I'm at and with my budget.
    It would be cool to have 4ohm speakers and be louder yet.. I may add a couple more speakers to make it a 5 speaker system... Maybe some mid fi bookshelf speaker..Wharfedale maybe

I listened to the CD's today, Pink Floyd Wish you were here, and Scorpions T0kyo tapes, and also side one of Vinyl The Who sell out.....
    Phono input sounds fantastic, but isn't as loud, which is to be expected, but is more noticeable than the JVC was. That said, the Outlaw sounds way better. This may be less issue with higher end cartridges, stylus,TT. I have a Pioneer PL400 TT with an old dc9 cartridge with ATN3472SE stylus.

Still haven't messed with the settings, I think it sounds good.
    I love the bass management..
    It sounds so much better to me with a sub and directing some of the lows away from the mains.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. BDC

Did he ever vouch for anything unworthy?
    Please elaborate, I don't read audio magazines or any of that..

14. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

The guy from Police Academy? Who knew?!

russk and PhilBiker like this.
  15. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I had one. Thought it was great. Used with Vandersteen 1c’s.

bhazen and BDC like this.
  16. BDC

Had? Why did you get rid of it? Upgrade? Cash needs? Stolen?

Note: I haven't yet used the Outlaws onboard DAC, So far only analog outs on my Onkyo 7030, which sounds really good. I have a digital coax cable on order..
    That said, it's hard to believe it'll be much improvement, but I'll get back on that.

17. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

At my house, it's one of those dreaded loud CDs that has to be played at one certain volume setting (10:00 ish). Too low and it dies. Too high and it's run from the room. It weekend to be the start of Paul's "holy crap, loud enough?" records. Most of his stuff up to then sounded good and some of it sounded great.

18. BDC

Yeah I started to notice that after playing again.. I like it because it rocks/good songs/Paice,Gilmour, something McCartney hasn't IMO done enough. It's impossible pretty much to get a modern rock CD that doesn't have the loudness problem.

SpeedMorris likes this.
  19. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

Haven't listened to it but I like Outlaw products in general.
    I have a pair of their 2200 amps on the home theater setup with the Pinnacle Classic Gold Towers.
    Sounds great in my opinion.
    Enjoy the new gear!

ben_wood and BDC like this.
  20. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I own the 2150 and have been eyeing this new one. I doubt that it sounds a lot better, but it does offer several meaningful updates to bring it into the digital age. It is hard to replace a receiver that I like the sound of as much as as I do the 2150.

BDC and PhilBiker like this.
  21. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I especially like having a well-thought-out EQ for the low end. Our perception of bass is so dependent on master volume, and FR is so dependent on placement, that to have no ability to adjust it in the name of "purity" seems silly.

BDC likes this.
  22. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

No pics no receiver. :angel:

eryoung, bluemooze and BDC like this.
  23. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

[​IMG]
    I always thought it was kinda “meh” looking myself. Was there ever a black option?

It’s like they had three design ideas and just put all of them on at once instead of choosing. On the left you have the laser lines. In the middle is the Aztek pyramid steps. And on the right “model of the solar system” tiny circles surrounding the big circle all in a large circle.

mitchius, Gumboo, John27 and 6 others like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

X
    ADCHOICES IDENTIFIED
    I hadn't heard of that particular receiver, but I am impressed by what I am seeing and the reviews from Steve Guttenberg and Stereophile (which was just last month).

[​IMG]
    I really like everything that I see about this receiver. Even though that you may not decide to use it as a "receiver", it looks like a great integrated amplifier.

I like that it has bypassable tone controls, separate level control for the headphone volume, a front mounted 3.5mm aux. input where you or your guests can plug in their smartphones or players. Same for the USB input. An external loop and analog bass management, with an override button.. Which leads me to believe that all of the analog inputs are pure analog all the way through. Most of today's receiver's that use digital processing, convert any analog input signal to digital, in order to use processing features =, such as room correction... My Peachtree iNova is a similar type of unit (minus the receiver section). It has both analog and digital, but the analog is pure analog, all the way through. I also like having a traditional analog type volume control knob.

[​IMG]
    The rear is equally impressive. All the standard digital inputs, with the exception of HDMI, which would be nice to those who want to play SACD's and use the internal DAC on the receiver.

But having four general analogue inputs is a lot these days. That is, in addition to a phono input. The analog bass management is set by the slide switch on the back.

One thing that I really enjoy seeing is, the RCA jacks the separate the preamp section, from the power amp section. This is something that was commonly done, years ago, but that feature is rather rare to find today.

I like everything about the iNova, that I have, with the exception of the not quiite stellar power amp section. In my case, I take the output from the iNova's preamp and split the signal to run three separate systems. I never have speakers attached directly to the iNova.

Note; when the iNova was first introduced, it retailed for $1,800 and does not have a separate sub out, nor does it have a phono preamp.

By the same vein, sometimes I have an integrated amp, that I would like to only use the power amplifier section, because I already have a tube preamp that is in the circuit.

Something Steve Guttenberg commented on was that it could handle loads of 4-Ohms and less. That is a very strong feature to have on a receiver today. Most receivers, that I have noticed, even many of the larger ones, are not rated to drive anything less than a 4-Ohm load.

It looks like you now have an excellent stereo receiver! Good Luck with your system!

S&G

25. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

I had an Outlaw receiver once and loved it. I'm sure they've improved upon that first model. Enjoy! :righton:

izgoblin and BDC like this.