Vinyl rig upgrades

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sailingsinkingships, Dec 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

...indeed

-Bill

2. sailingsinkingships

sailingsinkingships Forum Resident Thread Starter

No. I am a graduate student at NCCU in speech and communication disorders by night and a manager at a residential treatment facility for a program that serves the most behaviorally challenged teens of the state by day. I did teach American history to middle schoolers for a few years and will never do that again.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  3. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

State grad here, so I was just curious.

4. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I'm running Elac UB5's with a refurbished Sansui 9090 and its a match made in heaven. I had a 2k budget for bookshelf speakers, and stopped here. Synergy is a strange thing, and this time saved me a good chunk of money lol.

Not sure 50wpc, is enough to make these things sing though, but it's definately worth giving them a shot...

5. sailingsinkingships

Well I have an affinity for state. A cousin on my dad’s side is married to former head basketball coach Herb Sendek.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  6. sailingsinkingships

Updated: I have a rega p6 with exact cartridge in transit. After some other equipment sales during the holiday I have close to 500 dollars left to spend.

I was thinking of trying to add a phono to the pioneer vintage receiver. Maybe the rega fono mm for synergy purposes.

I could put that money toward some speakers. I see some Kef q100s at really decent discounts. Maybe the elac debut b6. Those are at the lower end of the spectrum but curious to hear how a newer bookshelf speaker would compare to the pioneer hpm.

I could also get a second hand rega brio r to replace the pioneer. Or possibly another recommended amp.

Where would I see the most gains for the 500 I have left after the rega p6?

7. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Have you thought of recapping your speakers?

Both your receiver and speaks are over 30 years old I'm guessing. At that age a refurb is in order.

8. sailingsinkingships

Both have been recapped in the last 7 years.

9. eirismania

eirismania Forum Resident

Definitely look at phono stages with the $500 you have left. No idea about your Pioneer, but I would be willing to bet that it doesn't come close to a dedicated stage for around 500. I'm sure the Rega would go perfectly well with your system, but don't discard other options like the Lounge MKIII or some of the Graham Slee stages which are in that price range.

10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Congrats! You can get a used Rega Fono MKII for under $300. Excellent match with the Exact.

11. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Good deal. Are you handy with solder gun? The DIY Pass Labs Pearl II can be made for about what you have left. I had one built, like it a lot. It bested my Yamaha C2-a's internal MM phono pre, but am using SUT with it.

One other suggestion in your range but you don't have the phono pre to run it is the AT0C9-iii cart. Really good for the $$'s.

12. sailingsinkingships

It sounds like a phono stage is the best bang for my addition. My only experience was demoing a cheap nad unit a year or so ago. It helped with the noise floor but was not as musical as the built in on the pioneer vintage amp.

Thanks for the recommendations.

13. Echoes Myron

Yes a good phono will make a world of difference. And let us know what you think about the P6....I have two RP6 am a big fan.

14. sailingsinkingships

I will. Great moniker. There is a stable of great GBV monikers one can use for profile names.

One of the first records to be played will be my the new colored reissue of Mag Earwhig from Newbury Comics. I usually avoid colored vinyl but this one looked great.

jupiterboy likes this.
  15. Echoes Myron

I might have to pick that up! I have the original Matador which sounds quite nice.

16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I have a Pioneer SX750 and SX1250 both are more than adequate as front ends to a vinyl setup. I also have two Carver Sunfire Subwoofers. These combos don’t suck. A cheap pioneer Sub from Best Buy may give you an idea if you like the sound. It’s very room and position dependent.
    The pioneer is good man.

SirMarc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.