Is there even an audience for new rock anymore?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jan 26, 2017.

1. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

True that! But I find musicians to be more adaptable to "new" than the average fan. Peace

Higlander and Chris DeVoe like this.
  2. Kid A

Kid A Forum Resident

Yeah and look how many people are calling this the worst era for pop music. Is being the architect of this era really a good thing?

Hardy Melville and William Smart like this.
  3. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

What era of pop music hasn't been called the worst at some point?

Chris DeVoe and William Smart like this.
  4. Kid A

Kid A Forum Resident

Yeah, by the older generation at the time. I highly doubt that back then there were as many younger people as there are now crapping all over modern music. All over the internet, forums, articles, videos, people deriding the state of modern popular music. It isn't hard to see a decline. From Chuck Berry and Elvis, to The Beatles and Rolling Stones, to Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder, to Michael Jackson and Prince, to this...

5. William Smart

Dinosaurs of Rock Unite!

6. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

great thread if you ignore most of it
    17 year old Lil Pump is the top priority for WB label 1st quarter 2018. "Gucci Gang" at (2:04) is the shortest top 10 single to chart in the Top 100 in 42 years.

7. William Smart

Brothers let us all take a moment in the spirit of the season to remember ITS ALL SUBJECTIVE! Because you may not like what I do does not make you wrong & vice versa. We can disagree & still respect one another's opinion. OK sermon over have at it! :D Peace brothers

8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

love 808s.

As for Kanye in general, people seem to forget that the young people of today are the historians of tomorrow. Eventually it won't be my generation (or the one prior) having any influence on these things.

9. Kid A

Kid A Forum Resident

Just a shame the song is god awful.

Frosst likes this.
  10. William Smart

We had a.....debate in another thread about quantity vs quality. Does high volume sales equal artistic quality? One example being Tales From The Topographical Ocean by YES. Some one pointed out that it had the highest pre order sales of previous albums by the artist indicating that it was therefor their best album. That logic is obviously flawed, but he was going by stats from his book and there was no changing his mind. He wasn't even born at that time. I was 20 and tried to point out that pre-order sales are not always indicative of the public's opinion. People walked out of the concerts for that tour. Expecting another Close To The Edge they got 4 long drawn out numbers that failed to capture people's attention. Which side of the debate is correct? Was it an artistic failure because it was a commercial failure? Is commercial success necessarily indicative of artistic genius? The answer? It's all subjective! Cultural impact however is not subjective. Seen through the eye of history hard facts bear evidence. Michael Jackson & The Beatles impact can't be denied. While I can't see Kanye's impact only time will prove it true or no. Nuff said I hope. Pax

11. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Yes, the older one is the more they do not like newer and favor older.
    Is that the decline you speak of?

12. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

There are almost 1,900 posts on this thread, so there seems to be a lot of interest in the topic here.

Frosst and William Smart like this.
  13. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

14. Kid A

Kid A Forum Resident

I don’t understand.

15. Higlander

It seems as if the older one gets, the less ability they have to embrace music not from their youth.
    The listener declines in their ability to enjoy music, but instead feel pulled to their youth (musically)

16. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I haven't liked a "new rock"act in years. LOL. But I recently saw a performance at Glastonbury by Declan McKenna. I think the sky's the limit for this kid

CheshireCat likes this.
  17. Kid A

Kid A Forum Resident

The artists I named started decades before I was born. I don’t get nostalgic listening to 60’s/70’s music.

18. Higlander

Maybe I did not understand your post then?

What decline do you speak of, or was it mean humorously?
    My grandfather talks as if the 50s were the absolute Pinnacle of music, and then the 60s and 70s were utterly horrible, and anything closer to now he does not even give recognition to..:D

Diamond Dog and Chris DeVoe like this.
  19. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I call it calcification. It happens to a lot of people as they get older. Opinions and viewpoints become fixed, rigid. And it applies to everything in their lives - not just music.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

You can either grow smarter and more knowledgable about the world or grow more ignorant as new things occur and you're oblivious to them.

It reminds me of the older guy in the supermarket or drug store who goes to the counter, gets their items scanned, gives the cashier the money and then stands there for another 5 minutes getting their stuff together because they're oblivious that any other customer is in the store, meanwhile there's 20 people in line behind him. It's like they don't know anybody or anything else exists and probably don't care either.

Also reminds me of when someone's crossing a street and a car's about to hit them and has to screech to a stop and the person doesn't even notice (maybe cause they're looking at a cell phone or just are trapped in their own mind without awareness of what's going on right next to them.

It's not obliviousness that I mind, it's the ego to think that everything the older person likes is best. That they judge everything as beneath them because they didn't like it and that they don't like what they don't understand.

21. Kid A

Kid A Forum Resident

The decline of popular music is what I meant. I’ve listened to plenty of top 40 from the 60’s and 70’s on Spotify and YouTube and it’s a hell of a lot better than the top 40 now. I’d rather listen to Sugar Sugar than most top 40 today and that’s saying something.

22. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

FWIW, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard had planned to put out 5 new releases in 2017, and so far I have heard that 4 of them have been released. Haven't heard much about the fifth one but I haven't been looking for info either.

It all sounded good to me (what I heard of them, which was only parts of each).

Frosst, William Smart and WilliamWes like this.
  23. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I'm kind of curious about one thing I am getting a lot of criticism about my supposed non-supportive of covers yet if one looks at just a few of my post you do know I'm a huge Elvis fan?

24. William Smart

Respectfully I disagree. I and all of my friends, most of who are also musicians are always ready for something new. I'm 63 for perspective. In the 90s as I approached and went through my 40s I loved Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Porcupine Tree. In the new millennium it's been Born of Osiris, Chon and such. My latest discovery was Imaad Wasif. I do admit to favoring the music I played in my youth which ranges from Beatles through Zeppelin, from Asia to Zappa. It is my favorite, but not exclusive. I love Big Band & Sinatra, Metal & Classical, Soul, Funk & Rap. Age is never the determining factor in what I listen to or enjoy. The same goes for my friends. I think you're painting too broad a brush stroke when you say "age" can't appreciate "new". A dear friend who played with Dick Manitoba's Wild Kingdom and I came up with this. " It it moves you, spiritually, ethereally or viscerally, If it inspires you, then for you it is good music". Age never enters the picture. When my musical tastes stagnate, it will be the day they plant my sorry old butt. Or put another way " you can teach us old dogs new tricks " ! Don't sell us or yourself short. Pax

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  25. William Smart

Ty! Some one mentioned a little while back, but it had slipped my mind. Thanx for the reminder.