Vintage Speakers making a come back... JBL Klipsch etc...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lovealego, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member Thread Starter

I noticed in the latest audiophile shopping magazines that decades old speakers and styles from Klipsch and JBL Pro are part of the current lines offered. I am curious what the folks on here think of this trend? I realize the old models all have their fans, but I would like to keep the discussion on the remakes and current models...

So whats the verdict? Anyone buy some of these?

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I think it’s a sign that dedicated 2xh audio and tube amps are becoming more popular.

God bless klipsch for sticking with the heritage line through a bunch of lean years. I have no confidence in JBL, it an unrecognizable company to what they once were. No idea who owns them or where they’re made anymore.

3. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

JBL has been owned by Harmon since 1969. Same owners for 48 years. Production of JBL Professional was moved to Mexico in 2010.

They can be purchased from Music Direct - https://www.musicdirect.com/brands/jbl/?manufacturer=Jbl&sort=popularity|DESC&page=1&pagesize=24&c1=tab-products&c2=grid

JBL’s website can be found here - JBL Synthesis | Hi-Fi Audio - JBL Synthesis

Finally, you can still get the Everest DD67000 if you’re so inclined. They’re $75K to $90K/Pair, depending on finish. JBL - Everest DD67000 Tower Speakers

4. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

I think it's natural that some of the massively large young headphone community are gradating to 2-channel and everything it offers over headphones. Considering the strengths of high end headphones, they aren't going to be satisfied with a pair of bookshelf speakers.

I also think there's a nostolgia market for big speakers, tube anps of all types, integrated amps/receivers and solid state class A.

5. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

45Hz anechoic with two 15” woofers? How is that even possible?

6. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

+1 Heritage Klipsch and vintage tube amps.

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

...Which is a subsidiary of Samsung.

No Static, asilker and McLover like this.
  8. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I have Acoustic Research AR 3a's and AR 6's. Next on list is AR 5's. Have owned dozens of other brands over the decades. Perfectly happy with these.

9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Would you pay 77k for a pair of jbl’s made in Mexico?

I’m far from being a klipsch fan boy but kilpschorns have the same design for 70 years and being made by the same people in Arkansas for generations. While they do make plenty of junky Chinese speakers, they have retained a line a speakers that represent their core identity.

Jbl is a brand that is marketed and manipulated by a parent company. It seems their chosen identity as a company has been pro audio. I go to many concerts and when I see jbl, it’s not great.

Thank you for the link, there certainly are more speakers available than I was aware of. I would like to hear them.

To me they are a company that made historically great speakers, their parent company cashed in that brand to sell entery level to masses and drove it largely out of the market. Kind of like Fisher and many other brands over time.

Bananas&blow, RDriftwood and Rolltide like this.
  10. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I’d be happy if I could just afford any $77,000 speaker! I wouldn’t care where they came from!

11. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Been playing through my Klipsch Heresys for like 30 years now. Would not sell them for anything.

12. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

Audiovox owns Klipsch. That's probably why the heritage lines still exist. They don't need to spend any money on R&D, marketing or anything else. Seems like the Audiovox way to me.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it...

rxonmymind, Chris C and McLover like this.
  14. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Back to old school is fun. I love my wharfedale denton 80th anniversary.

bluemooze likes this.
  15. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Maybe we will see some of those old Electrovoice Giants of the 60s!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'd like to see some Altec's

[​IMG]

clhboa, LitHum05, djost and 13 others like this.
  17. russk

russk Forum Resident

One day I will find a pair of mint Altec Valencias with the green hammertone horns and driver's. Great speakers.

18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm afraid the at the collector value may have exceeded its worth as a speaker. Same with the old JBL's, they have been out of production for so long that availability is tight.

Another reason for the comeback. When speakers from the 60's start selling for more than 4K, those designs start to make a comeback. There is a real lack of options for new speakers that will run with low power.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    djost and RDriftwood like this.
  19. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

I gave serious consideration to the Klipsch Heresy III's.. decided to go elsewhere, but love the retro look.

GroovyGuy and Dennis0675 like this.
  20. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

Very true. I'd like to see more high efficiency options out there, especially in bookshelf sizes and what not. Many would. You see people posting for recommendations for HE speakers to match with their amps all the time on audio forums. Klipsch has always been there, loading their speakers with horns and higher efficiency cones, thankfully.

Notice many big name SS amplifier companies own some of these lower efficiency speakers companies. They match them in ads and at shows and so on. Propelling the drive for big wattage amps with very inefficient speakers which, in contrast to the other end of the spectrum, often yields a less interesting, and less natural sound. To me, dare I say, it is almost attempting reinventing of the wheel, but the new wheels just aren't cutting it.

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I've had Heresy and now have Cornwalls. I can tell you that they are VERY different. I'm not a Heresy hater as many are but I understand why. With the Heritage line, size matters.

22. russk

russk Forum Resident

I don't know about that. I've heard a couple of pairs of Valencias. They are a great sounding speaker and, as you alluded to, efficient as hell. One pair had it's drivers pulled and sent to GPA and restored and it sounded nice. Less bass than a pair of Cornwalls but those mids where in another league.

I know there are groups in the audiophile community that harp on "new speaker technology" allowing for vastly superior speakers to be made now a days but I think there are reasons these old designs are still around. Shindo went back to Altec designs for their mega buck speakers and let's not forget Audio Note which are basically the original Snell speakers, highly tweaked I'll grant you, but the original Snell designs.

I mean what big improvements in speaker research and technology have really occurred since the 70s outside of the wide use of computer modeling? Most of the improvements in materials and manufacturing have widely been implemented to cut costs. Sure we now have diamond tweeters and titanium diaphragms but personally I don't care for the sound of either. Computer modeling is a miracle in many aspects but when comes to sound and listening pleasure you could make the argument that designing by ear was better.

23. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

The Cornwalls are beautiful... congrats!

searing75, RDriftwood and Dennis0675 like this.
  24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Altec Lansing as you and I knew it does exist, it's called Great Plains Audio. You likely can still buy the drivers, built on the original Altec Lansing tooling. And on top of that they have the knowledge base on all things Altec Lansing.

25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Indeed, a speaker that is designed by ear (hopefully by the guy whose name is on the speaker) for listening to music, is the better design. That's really what made Klipsch, Altec and JBL the companies they were. What we have now is multinational parent companies designing speakers for Home Theatre and low cost manufacturing. Klipsch seems to the one company that can work in both those spaces and it keeps these Heritage speakers at a it more reasonable price. I don't think they are the best, not by a long shot but hard to beat for the money. New and Used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.