Judas Priest re-issues?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wpjs, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

They look pretty bad, actually: dark, a little blurry, etc.

nosliw likes this.
  2. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

If you want it on long player, is it that difficult to locate an original press in a second hand vinyl store ? It will be all analogue and cheaper than a reissue presumably done form digital.

phantomime likes this.
  3. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Only speaking of the Detroit metro area, but yes, originals are very difficult to find around these parts. If you do manage to find copies around here, more often than not they are in terrible condition.

4. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Yes, it's probably a lot easier to find those here in Belgium, lot of german and dutch press and even from time to time a uk one...it would only last a few weeks to build a serious judas priest collection as first press in vg+/Ex condition from all the records from 1975 to 1988...after that it' becomes more difficult to find painkiller in original dutch or german press

Grow Fins and Szeppelin75 like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Not much up here either, I've run into Turbo a few times, about it.

6. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

That's actually one of the harder titles to find in my area. I've only ever seen one vinyl copy in my life aside from the anniversary edition. All of the albums from Unleashed through Defenders are pretty common though.

c-eling likes this.
  7. DetroitDoomsayer

Detroiters love their Rock and Metal!

I have a few pet theories why certain genres are difficult to find in the Detroit area: 1. Some Detroiters are real hardcore collectors who don't sell or trade their collections. 2. Others loved their records to death, meaning they weren't careful in taking care of their records.
    Genres that are hard to find around town (or are in terrible condition) when and if you do are: Punk, Post-Punk, New Wave, Metal, Hair-Metal.
    Genres that are always in the worst condition: Soul, Funk and R&B (attributed to being "party" records). <---- always in .25 cents to $1 condition.

P.S. I'm in the biz (record shop employee)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Interesting, maybe the re-bayers have been on the prowl. Even say back in the 90's a shop up in Traverse City (north of me) I always remember seeing Turbo, but no other titles.
    Now Priest on old compact disc, non existent in these parts. The vinyl Turbo's I have run into in the last few years were pretty much destroyed.

9. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

So anyone knows how the reissued Painkiller sounds=?

dennis1077 and johnny q like this.
  10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I got lucky and snagged Turbo and Ram It Down in really nice shape within the last year. Never seen a Painkiller since I've been looking.

c-eling likes this.
  11. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Both the original Painkiller LPs and the Back in Black LPs are quite pricy on Discogs.

12. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Im interested in these reissues also, I have British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance & Defenders of the Faith on original vinyl but wouldn't mind grabbing Painkiller since the original pressing is a rare find on vinyl.

13. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Be careful of the Back On Black version of Painkiller. The artwork is atrocious due to being very blurry and pixelated looking and the original audio source for that release is taken directly from the CBS CD remaster.

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If they would just have a guy like Andy Pearce do the remastering and get reissues out on CD I would buy them. Until then I will just stick with the old CDs, some of them sound very good IMHO, but yeah, they could be a little bit better.

Very leery of Priest reissues on vinyl since even those MOFIs had mixed reviews.

15. DetroitDoomsayer

Anyone else notice the dumb, tiny little album covers printed at the bottom of the spines? :wtf:

Dertriumphdestodes likes this.
  16. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I became a BIG fan of Andy Pearce !!! I really like what he does !!!

mikedifr0923 and patient_ot like this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I know not everyone liked his work on the last batch of Sabbath remasters but I personally thought they were well done. He seems to have an ear for hard rock and heavy metal, probably one of the only people I can think of that would do it right in the digital domain. He also did a version of Armored Saint's 2nd album that was well done. Too bad Jon Astley remastered the first AS album.

The Hud likes this.
  18. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I don't care whatever other people say - some don't like his remasters. To me, they sound perfect !!! I have much stuff, remastered by Mr. Pearce (Running Wild, Uriah Heep, Helloween, Tankard...) and to me they sound great !!!

eric777, Rapid Fire and patient_ot like this.
  19. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Just ordered three of the new 180g LPs just released: Stained Class, British Steel, and Point of Entry. All three currently not in stock, but the prices were way cheap, so ordered them anyway. Only other Priest LP I have is the picture disc of Screaming for Vengeance, but I have yet to spin that. I'll try to remember to let everyone know how they sound, unless someone here beats me to it!

patient_ot likes this.
  20. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Every original I have seen has been in junky condition with a trashed sleeve, and I’ve been looking for these in the used bins for years. The one exception was a decent condition Sin After Sin, which I bought :)

I have all the MoFi’s and think they sound great. My only complaint is they messed up the running order for Killing Machine and put the first song from side 2 as the last song on side 1.:rolleyes:

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  21. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I saw these in my local store. Stained Class didn’t look that great, but the rest seemed ok. British Steel, PoE, and SAS all looked good and I like that they used the UK cover for SAS instead of the washed-out looking US sleeve.

22. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Listening to Painkiller . . . it's good!

23. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

You might be better off hitting a convention. While I see quite a bit of op priest in the Chicagoland shops, I've more often found them at the every other month show in Hillside. Great show. Tons of stuff for all tastes.

24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Pearce also did the Anthrax "Aftershock: The Island Years", and Anthrax has never sounded better. I would love for him to get his hands on the Priest and Maiden catalogs.

25. metalmunk84

metalmunk84 Forum Resident

Anybody listened to the new We Are Vinyl double LP remaster of "Angel Of Retribution"?