A Christmas Carol/Scrooge

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Batears52, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Technically, Jim Backus would be Magoo LOL.No mention of the original Frosty? :D

2. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I highly recommend the new film The Man Who Invented Christmas.

It is the story of how Dickens wrote A Christmas Carol. It stays very close to the truth, and is a very moving film.

It is a must see for fans of the book and films.

3. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Glad to hear this. The trailer looked good, but these kind of films can go very wrong...

4. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

We did some research after we watched it, and were amazed how true it stayed to life.

MikaelaArsenault and Benno123 like this.
  5. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Mr. Magoo

George C. Scott

Vanessa Williams

Patrick Stewart

Alistair Sim

Kelsey Grammer

Jim Carrey

7. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I'm big on A Christmas Carol. I'll watch any version anytime (except possibly Mr. Magoo and that musical version).

That said, true to life is not a ringing endorsement to me. This is me though. I am not a docudrama fan. They are OK of they are well made and we understand they are fictionized to make a better movie (e.g. Amadeus).
    I would just as soon watch a straight documentary.

8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Mr. Magoo.
    The Mickey Mouse one with Alan Young as Scrooge is pretty good...a little weak and corny but fun.

I’ll save the non cartoon reviews for the grown ups on the forum. :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  9. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

I know this is an old thread, but there is only ONE Christmas Carol: starring Alistair Sim.

10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

For those interested in the book, there is a new edition that includes reproduction of the original manuscript.

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Ca...eywords=qa+christmas+carol+manuscript+edition

I'm reading this now. I have never actually read it from beginning to end, and am determined to this year.

EDIT: I thought this was the first time the manuscript was reproduced when I posted this, but I don't believe that is actually the case.

Keith V likes this.
  11. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I will add my (now annual) plug for "The Muppet Christmas Carol." I'm not a Muppet-head by any stretch of the imagination, but Michael Caine is brilliant. He conveys so much without saying a word.

12. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

guppy270 and mmars982 like this.
  13. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I love how much 'rage' he bought to the character as opposed to just playing a grumpy old harmless man... then the way he breaks down during the 'deleted' scene with Belle... brilliant job!

Tanx likes this.
  14. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Those are my 2 favorites! Lump of coal for you!

Keith V and Dr. Pepper like this.
  15. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

I know it's not a serious take on the story but it's the Albert Finney version for me. I remember my grandfather who was a cinema projectionist showing it! I enjoyed the upbeat songs like 'Thank you very much' which got me in the Christmas mood for buying unexpected presents for friends!

jupiter8 and jmobrien68 like this.
  16. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

It has to be Alister Simm, A Christmas Carol......no other can touch it.

Beatle Terr and JerolW like this.
  17. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

This.

jerol

18. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

"I was in love once...would you believe that?" A short exchange that tips the scales to the Scott version for me.

19. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

20. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I saw it last night... really enjoyed it!

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  21. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

There is really no contest, it has to be `ALASTAIR SIM` all the way....The supporting cast is fantastic!
    It made me cry....and the ghost of Xmas future scared the hell out of me when i was a kid.

22. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I actually like almost all of them, and I have nearly all of them on DVD and watch each year.
    Each brings something different and tells the story in a slightly different way, including some things from the book and excluding others.
    The things that bother me are the way they change things from the book. Ebenezer's sister is Fan in the book. Some movies have her as Fan, others have her as Fran. In the book, Ebenezer scolds Crachit saying he'll lose his situation. But some movies have him saying losing his job. And the story just isn't complete if nephew Fred doesn't burst in and say "A merry Christmas uncle! God Save You!" Why any telling of the story wouldn't include that is beyond reason.

The one Christmas Carol I don't like, haven't bought on DVD, and won't watch again is the Disney/Jim Carey/Zemeckis version. I took my family to see this at the theater and I thought it was very poorly done. The Zemeckis motion capture was not good (why not just use real characters if you try to make them look lifelike, but end up making everyone just look creepy?) and the 3D effects were done seemingly to just highlight the 3D effects. They bought nothing new whatsoever to the telling of the story.

I even have The Fred Flintstone version on VHS, which I still watch each year. It actually isn't bad. The most memorable line is when the two gentlemen come to the E bone ezzer (love the caveman version of the names) Scrooge/Marley office to collect for the poor. They ask Cragit (Barney) if they will have the pleasure of addressing Mr. Marley or Mr. Scrooge. Cragit responds "Mr. Marley has been dead these seven years. And I assure you, addressing Mr. Scrooge is NO pleasure!"

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  23. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Alastair Sim is the best one!!!

longdist01 and Sgt Pepper like this.
  24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I try to watch one version of this story I hadn't seen yet each year, and this year it was the Patrick Stewart one. I was very surprised how much I liked Stewart as Scrooge. It also seems like this is the adaptation most faithful to the book, not always for the better (the scene where they go out to sea just seemed confusing, and the couple that couldn't pay their rent that had never been seen before seemed odd). But I did really like it.

Benno123 likes this.
  25. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Sim's performance can break my heart "I'm sorry Fan, I'm sorry"

mmars982 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.