Jethro Tull Benefit - Big Book Version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fast'n'bulbous, Dec 11, 2017.

1. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also Thread Starter

Anyone know if they are planning to reformat Benefit as a "Big Book" like the other Wilson remixes?

Peter_R likes this.
  2. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Not so far. I doubt I will happen...at least soon. IA doesn´t rate the album too high and in the near future he has other plans: Heavy Horses remix, probably a This Was remix, The live set, the opera and new album.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Oh well. Benefit is a favorite, along with Stand Up! I'll keep my original vinyl.

4. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I think it depends on what they decide to do with the Carnegie Hall concert. It was part of the 2001 Stand Up reissue even though it was from the Benefit tour. The Carnegie show was also a standalone vinyl release on Record Store Day a few years back. If they decide to keep it in print, I'm guessing they'll either put it out on its own with the vinyl cover art or incorporate it into a Benefit bookset. This would also boost the amount of unreleased-at-the-time material in that set (limited right now to a handful of mixes).
    [​IMG]

5. Daniel Falaschi

I would prefer the long overdue Tanglewood show with visuals included.

6. Given that they do have options to make an upgraded set for Benefit in the book format, I really hope the do it at some point. I’d be first in line.

Mainline461, yesstiles and Grippy like this.
  7. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Its on my wish list....and given they are doing a This Was set despite the previous collectors edition, it does look hopeful.....but the 50th anniversary is not until 2020.....so maybe its pencilled in for then.

8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Have I missed something??? Live set, opera and new album???

Are these confirmed things.....or possible???

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Daniel Falaschi

Yes you have

Jethro Tull 50th anniversary plans

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. A Jethro Tull / The Who combo Tanglewood set would be a dream come true.

uzn007, Colinjpush and footlooseman like this.
  11. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Tanglewood is not a good concert with many mistakes from all the bandmembers and technical problems....

Nevertheless I'd like to have a Benefit bookset with a concert. Chicago is better.

12. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I haven’t got this or thick remixes because there were no new studio tracks but when I heard teacher and 17 remixes I thought I better get it. Especially now that I have stand up, aqualung, passion, warchild, minstrel, too old, songs and soon horses in the book format. Lucky I didn’t get thick due to the glitch also. Now I want them to complete the set. It makes sense to do Benefit in the book format and reissue thick with no glitches. I’ll wait for hopeful 50th anniversary editions. If not I’ll grab them second hand in a few years

John Porcellino likes this.
  13. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I hadn't considered that. I sure hope so!

Perhaps they will locate the original stereo mix of the UK "Teacher" (the only vinyl-sourced track on the set) and/or locate and do a remix of "Witches Promise" (the only missing multi-track).

Keith V and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  14. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

46 pages, CD sized booklet.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The section of all four (then) members of the band separately discussing the songs is one of the most interesting texts from these reissues.

DaverJ, lordfalconer, Runicen and 2 others like this.
  16. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

If they don't locate those tapes, it's not a tragedy. The stereo "Teacher" sounds pretty darn good for a needledrop, and we've already got three stereo mixes of "Witch's Promise" - Benefit, Living in the Past and the 25th anniversary box.

I'm well aware that a repackaged Benefit is probably a very low priority for Ian and for Steven Wilson. But until it's definitively ruled out, no harm in kicking around ideas on how to present it and what could be added.

I don't think we'll see Tanglewood anytime soon. A couple of songs from the Who's performance that same day used to be on the 30 Years of Maximum R&B Live DVD, but then it was replaced by a re-edited version minus the Tanglewood material (and a few other odds and ends like Keith passing out at the Cow Palace). The removal of the tracks leads me to believe there are intractable rights issues.

A few years ago, when Wolfgang's Vault started selling downloads, they announced that the participating artists had acknowledged WV as holding exclusive rights to the recordings. A number of more prominent artists (including Tull and the Who) didn't agree to the deal, and so their recordings were only available as streams.

Keith V likes this.
  17. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Wouldn’t take much to turn it into a book. Hopefully a special 50th edition

18. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Agree!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Daniel Falaschi

:wave::tiphat::agree::righton:

Fastnbulbous, FritzL and tootull like this.
  20. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

That's probably been the holdup to a new release.

21. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I decided to buy the benefit remix last night. If it comes in the book I’ll get it again lol

22. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

that's the right attitude. I did buy the remix when it came out and will buy the book if that comes out...

tootull likes this.
  23. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Believe it or not, there are fan-made transfers out there that are actually far better. Major labels aren't too good when it comes to needledrops. So there is definitely room for improvement.

24. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Is there plans for a THIS WAS remix? And why did they exclude that one in the first place.Owner rights?

25. Daniel Falaschi