Popped into HMV today...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Yam Graham, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yam Graham

Yam Graham 2023 Thread Starter

Currently Off work after Knee surgery 10 days ago. First venture out today to the Opticians (thinking of Lens replacement) for a appointment. Having gone on the train and due to snow, I got into town (Birmingham) much earlier so I wasn't rushing.
    Anyways...I digress.
    Popped into HMV.....blimey vinyl has taken over!!!!!!
    It was 1984 again....well not quite but you get my drift.
    Massive area dedicated to vinyl....not as much as CD but not far off.
    Although I got rid of my turntable years ago....I could help thumbing thru the racks.
    Really like the fact that young people are getting into it....long may it continue.

2. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Hope people have fun with it. But I'm not going back to record skipping, needle blowing, side flipping music playing in my crib. Not when I can go from Prince to Palestrina with an iTunes click.

Happier days for DJs, no doubt.

3. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

HMV Japan also has a large amount of vinyl records of both new and used, at least at their HMV Shibuya shop.

4. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

As an aside, I love HMV. Their prices for CDs consistently match or better those of Amazon and other online stores.

I rarely use Amazon now.

Siegmund, mur, Gaslight and 8 others like this.
  5. stem

stem Forum Resident

But their vinyl prices seem to have gone stratospheric lately !

ggggreenisaac, mur, richbdd01 and 4 others like this.
  6. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Yep. Couldn't believe it in my local one recently. Popped over for a quick browse/reminisce. Noticed Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet. £23.99. Walked over to the cd rack. £5.99.

Mmm, scratches chin, I wonder why the record companies and stores seem to be encouraging this vinyl revival thing I've heard so much about....

Scott6, mur, jalexander and 11 others like this.
  7. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

I love going in to HMV now and again, just to have a look at some vinyl. Going to go on Saturday in fact as the Sgt Pepper Picture disc is out. Then I just walk out of there empty handed, having had my fix.

Siegmund, CrazyCatz and ccbarr like this.
  8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The original Slippery When Wet can be found in most charity shops for a Pound or less. I haven't paid much attention, but I don't see a lot of original Bon Jovi vinyl in charity shops.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  9. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Since I care about audiophile-grade sound quality...I'll stick with vinyl.

The Trinity likes this.
  10. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

Whoa, I didn't know the HMV Shibuya store reopened. I really need to go back to Japan.

Sidetracked and nosliw like this.
  11. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Wish I had an HMV store to wander in to. :)

12. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Our HMV’s all closed down in the last year, but there are lots of indie shops. On the corporate side, I have to give adieu to London Drugs for their salvo into the vinyl resurgence. They need some help in the purchasing and marketing department, but they’re trying.

13. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Must be nice to have a big record store like HMV that one can just "pop into."

Joti Cover, Coricama and ccbarr like this.
  14. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I too wish I had a store like HMV near me, but maybe it is for the best, a man only has so much plasma. ;)

GLENN, Gardo and Zeki like this.
  15. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Yes, young wealthy people! Seriously though, I hope your knee is okay.

Yam Graham likes this.
  16. Yam Graham

Yes.
    Knee was Cartlidge, which has need doing for some time.
    Taking longer than I thought to settle down. Off work til new year so trying to chill out.

Joti Cover and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Going into HMV for the first time in ages I mean, not the knee surgery.:D Lots of vinyl, though I had to grip the rack for fear of passing out when I saw the price of some of it.:)

CDs are now comparable in price to Amazon and such. This wasn't the case the last time I went in.. They were often at least £3-4 more expensive. In fact, this was why I stopped going in.:)

Jaffboy151 and johnnybrum like this.
  18. Yam Graham

Hard to believe how things have turned circle from say 1985.
    When I went in HMV or Virgin etc back then...it was straight to the small, but ever growing CD racks.
    £12 - £15 was a common price for CD back then and I can remember paying £21 for a imported CD. Vinyl would have been around £5 back then.
    Look now..... CD £5 to £10.... vinyl £15 to £30!!!!!

19. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Sadly, the HMV vinyl prices range from expensive to stratospheric... They do, very occasionally have some deals, but nowhere near enough (and it tends to be the same old titles)

I'd love it if they could have a promo every month; maybe a selection at £9.99/£12.99, or 2 for £25, with titles constantly changing every month...maybe even some decent exclusives...I'd be in there. like a shot.

Their CD (and DVD/BD) prices are very reasonable, though.

ggggreenisaac, nosliw and Man at C&A like this.
  20. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

It's similar here in Austria as well - the bigger markets like Saturn and MediaMarkt all had massive rearrangements going on the last two years so the centre of every shop's Movie and Music section now is a big, double-sided, 15-meters long vinyl rack with an eye on standard re-issues, some special pressings and even old cut-out pressings :)
    Sadly, the prices are exploding here as well - try finding a new Floyd LP for less than 25 Euros and you're better off grabbing an original pressing already (and with the CD bins rarely ever selling discs above 8 to 10 Euros - if even! - it doesn't really pay off buying new vinyl, at least for me) :rolleyes:
    Interstingly enough, young people like myself frequent the record stores much more than those big-chain stores - they just don't have the same flair to me...

zphage likes this.
  21. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Pricey for vinyl, that's the problem. I tend only to go in if they have a promotion on. Got the Manics Everything Must Go on blue vinyl and double vinyl Maiden Brave New World, but that was 2016.

I do often check their vinyl section but they're not competitively priced. That is their downfall.

For cd's they're okay. Pleased they are sticking with vinyl but they need to lower the price.

22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I wish there was a Sainsbury's selling vinyl near me.

23. Bobby Morrow

Yes, they're doing with vinyl now what they used to do with CD and Blu Ray. They have to find a way to rip us off somehow.:)

Higlander, John Adam and Almost Simon like this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

You could get most chart LPs for as little as £4.99 by the mid-80s. Things have indeed turned around. In 1985 when I bought my player, CDs is my local record shop were consigned to a tiny wooden rack that held maybe 30 pricey titles. Within two years, CDs took up at least 80% of the shop floor.

25. Telegramsam

Telegramsam Forum Resident

I was recently at the HMV in London and think there was more vinyl than cds. But it really is expensive, bought 2 each one about 25 pounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.