The Cure announce Hyde Park gig for July 7 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Razzle123, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razzle123

Razzle123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2018
  2. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I really thought they'd tour with this being the anniversary, but this is the ONLY European show, which doesn't bode well for them supporting a new album. Got my tickets, great line up.

3. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Can we get the date right, please - 7 July 2018.

Gary likes this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Great lineup of bands!

5. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Good for them. Very good live band, will sound great in there among the Druid-ish trees onstage and what have you.

6. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

It will if you shell out for a VIP ticket, otherwise both the venue and sound are utterly atrocious!

7. SweetTea

SweetTea Forum Resident

Hhmm thats good to know. That's such a good lineup I may need to take it into consideration.

JeffMo likes this.
  8. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Jeez, even without the top attraction of the Cure, this is a pretty great bill.

Razzle123, joe1320 and Defrance like this.
  9. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Man... that lineup... I wish I was nearer to my 50th Birthday and I could better justify the potential of traveling to see this.

Giacomo Belbo, JeffMo and Defrance like this.
  10. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I'm hoping that at least one US date, likely in NYC or LA, is in the cards. Preferably with this line-up, because Ride and Slowdive on the same bill is kind of my dream.

JeffMo, mogambotek and Defrance like this.
  11. panicproject

panicproject VinylVinylVinylVinyl

Love The Cure but can't be dealing with Hyde Park. Saw Black Sabbath there in 2014 and the sound was shocking, the view was shocking and the food and drink prices were shocking!!!!

Crimson jon and coffeetime like this.
  12. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Never mind the concert....where`s the album!

13. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I saw the Police there in 2008 and queued up from 11am to get a front row spot. THAT I would do again.

Of course, since then, they introduced the “Gold Circle” near the stage at 1.5 x the price and then the “Diamond Circle” inside that at 3-4 x the price....

So it’s no longer enough to queue up, you have to queue up AND pay through the nose if you want any chance of a decent view.

panicproject likes this.
  14. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

That's pretty much it. I shot the Sabbath gig in Hyde Park a couple of years ago and had pit access plus VIP tickets.

I took this from the back of the VIP area (so essentially the start of the general admission area). So that's the very best view you're going to get if you don't go for VIP tickets. And that's if you're lucky enough to get at the front of GA (which makes up about 75-80% of the total audience).

However, the VIP area did have a decent place to chill between bands, half-decent (very expensive) food, no queues at the bars and a temporary grandstand with seats if you got fed up of standing up to watch the bands...not sure I'd have paid the premium if I wasn't working there though!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    c-eling and coffeetime like this.
  15. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

I saw the Cure play at Hyde park for their 25th anniversary back in 2003. Is playing Hyde Park for their jubilee anniversaries a thing for them now? I have to say, the 2003 gig was the first time I ever saw them and it is till today one of the best shows I’ve seen. Mogwai opened! Seen the Cure twice since then but none matched that 2003 show. The fireworks at the end. Ooof

JeffMo likes this.
  16. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

There's no guarantee this will be the only show. In fact, I'd be very, very surprised if it is.

17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Hyde 2018 is "only" a 2 hour set from The Cure(Pitchfork). I wonder if there will be guests from past lineups?

Slicing Eyeballs blog hinted at some cool reissues for 2018. Orange/music videos on Blu-ray?

18. Amen! SQ issues notwithstanding, I loved 4:13 Dream - other than Bloodflowers, it's probably my favorite Cure album since Wish.

Much of The Cure's post-Wish output has really grown on me over the years. I don't listen to all of it constantly, but that material really holds of lot of interest for me, and I'd gladly welcome a new album.

19. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

It does say ‘ only European show’ so yes, there are most likely others elsewhere.

20. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I saw that too, with that time frame I doubt they’ll do much more than a greatest hits set with a smattering of deeper tracks and I very much doubt you’ll see any guest appearances. I was at the shows when lol played a couple of tracks a few years back which was really nice to see. I’d love to see Robert perform with the Twighlight sad though as he covered one of their songs.

21. SoundAdvice

Probably headlining the FYF festival in LA or the new festival by Goldenvoice at the Queen Mary in Long Beach.

22. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Wow, so many of my all time favorite bands at one event! This one tops Inland Invasion 3 for me but those venue reports aren't very reassuring.

JeffMo likes this.
  23. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Great line up, crap ticket and entry system, so many fleecing options for Hyde Park. The great gig con continues. And you thought ticket touts where the enemy.

With so many bands and the strict Hyde Park curfew, The Cure will be playing half the normal set they would normally do.

Seen them a few times, always great value band. It won't beat the Disintegration tour at Wembley Arena for me though ;)

24. SoundAdvice

2 hour cut set ending at 10:30pm. Most of the set will be before sunset.

BTW, the presale is live and the code is IMAGINARY.

englishbob likes this.
  25. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Fingers crossed for some US dates and hopefully Tim Pope is putting together a monster release of some sort.

JeffMo and jamesc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.