Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

One maybe "Stage - live"

Another maybe "Scary Monsters" with 2017 remaster

2. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Does anyone have a current coupon code for HDtracks? I want to get the new U2 but am waiting to see if there's a valid code out there...

3. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

HDDEC01
    15%

bferr1 likes this.
  4. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Just curious where the stones album was up in 24/44.1? I have tried every hi res site I can think of and can’t find it anywhere.

5. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

My records show I got from 7Digital the day after the release.

JediJoker likes this.
  6. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

"Scary Monsters" 2017 (and "Scary Monsters" alone, from the latest Parlophone box) was dropped on HDTracks last week. That leaves "Low", "Heroes", "Lodger" and "Stage" from the latest box to appear today (Dec. 01) [ ..... ] and with a quick side-trip, I see that all four are indeed in the "New" category.

So, a pretty big break from tradition for albums from the Bowie Parlophone boxes.

JediJoker likes this.
  7. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Really weird. I’m looking at it on 7digital now and it’s showing 16 bit only. Same for Qobuz. Not on Hdtracks or prostudiomasters at all either

8. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

JediJoker likes this.
  9. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Oh, that’s blue and lonesome! Yeah, I got the 24/88.2 upon release. I was referring to the stones “On Air” that was released today. Looks like any websites that have it just have it in standard 16 bit, but a couple of people said that it was up in 24 bit. Looks like the other album I mentioned is also only 16 bit so I’ll be ordering the CD for these. Thanks anyhow!

10. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

D'Oh! Sorry.

I pre-ordered the "On Air" CD myself: I was following the SH Forum drama on this one, and whateer my views, I really didn't think they'd DARE try pass any of this work off as hi-res.

Plan9 and MrRom92 like this.
  11. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Very true. Reading through the thread for that I’m getting more and more disappointed and am kind of on the fence of whether or not I want to get it at all… still, as a principal I tend to get things in the highest resolution they’re made available in. I’m sure whatever abomination they created was done at least in 24 bits before being downsampled for CD, but like you said - I’m sure not offering it as such was probably a well thought out business decision, lest it reflect poorly on their other hi res releases.

12. jmelrose

jmelrose Forum Resident

On ProStudioMasters under technical notes, it lists the following for U2's new album:

"96 kHz / 24-bit PCM – Universal Music Operations Limited Studio Masters

Tracks 1, 6, 15, 17 – 44.1 kHz / 24-bit PCM, mastered in 96 kHz / 24-bit
    Tracks 2-5, 7-14, 16 – 48 kHz / 24-bit PCM, mastered in 96 kHz / 24-bit"

I'm sure this is covered elsewhere, but PSM and HDtracks aren't giving me more info. What does it mean that the tracks are sold at 96/24bit but come from a 44 or 48/24bit PCM source? What benefit is there to doubling the sample rate?

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't see how there would be any benefit to padding the file size, other than marketing. They should just be in their native format, or all at 48/24, though I don't think there is an benefit to uniformity for uniformity's sake. At least PSM gives that info. HDTracks doesn't indicate anything, just lists them at 96/24.

14. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Since the mastering was done at 96/24 that to me is the new "native format". Downsampling it again after mastering wouldn't provide any benefit (may not hurt either, but still).

Simon A, Plan9 and TonyCzar like this.
  15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

This.
    I have found that "upsampling" during mastering can produce interesting results. YMMV.

16. jmelrose

jmelrose Forum Resident

"interesting"? Can you expound on that please?

NYMets41 likes this.
  17. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Audirvana Plus has upsampling.

Anyone use it?

I'm learning so if you have a link to learn more or can share your experience I appreciate it.

Karsten likes this.
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

This is not the subject of this thread so maybe if you want to know more shoot me a PM. But I just wanted to make clear I, of course, wasn't talking about taking a 16/44.1 original, just upsampling it to 24/96 or whatever and calling it a day.

TonyCzar, The_Windmill and Simon A like this.
  19. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Thanks, Plan B.

I apologize for off topic post.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  20. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

That downsampling again would fix?

21. Bytor Snowdog

Bytor Snowdog Forum Resident

Upsampling has its uses when editing the file such as EQ, Declipping and such.

Plan9 likes this.
  22. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

...and the results can be completely transparent if done correctly. Sometimes even better!

23. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

Possible release this week:

The Beatles:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band[Deluxe Anniversary Edition] - ハイレゾ音源配信サイト【e-onkyo music】

Info: (Translated From Japanese to English)
    A masterpiece that made an album "show by fictitious band" tailored, pursuing the infinite possibilities of rock. Winning 4 Grammy Awards. Full English chart 22 consecutive weeks, national chart 15th week consecutive first place. (Announced in 1967)

All Giles Martin Produce & Mixed delivery product sound source.

The song of this digital sound source is the same as the 50th anniversary 2 CD set (UICY-15600/1). (15 songs are the same as the high-res sound source recorded in Super Deluxe's Blu-ray released in May 2017, contents of the first distribution as the same contents as the 2-CD set this time is high-resolution sound source.)

Mix Produced by Giles Martin
    Mix Engineer: Sam Okell
    Mastering Engineer: Miles Showell

* Tr.29 Strawberry Fields Forever only will be mixed in 2015.

oneway23 likes this.
  24. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

25. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident