Is there even an audience for new rock anymore?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jan 26, 2017.

1. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

So what would Steel Panther, Pop Evil & Foo Fighters be labeled as?

2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

D****e rock.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

jay.dee and Stormrider77 like this.
  4. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

That's nothing, by Youtube standards.

Man at C&A and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  5. Freedom Rider

That was just one video by that band.

Here's another:

Over 6 million views.

Other examples have been submitted upthread - and of course, there are many more.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Stormrider77 likes this.
  6. pathosdrama

Still nothing. They're good, though.

7. Freedom Rider

What do you mean? :confused: Is that not enough for you to be considered a solid audience (and that's just one band - there are others that are way more popular)?

Stormrider77 likes this.
  8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, "Youtube standards" that's what great Rock is now. Jeez....

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  9. Freedom Rider

William Smart and dammitjanet like this.
  10. pathosdrama

Just relax, I was pointing out that 6 million views are not a big deal, when pop stars rack numbers in the billions. "Great rock" has nothing to do with this.

11. Chris Schoen

Great Rock is whatever moves you. There is so much crap out there, and the first thing people want to know is how it "rates".

Galactus2 likes this.
  12. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

13. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

If any of you have watched the excellent Pink Floyd Live at Pompei (the original from circa '71), the director asks the individual band members 'provocative' questions. He asks Waters if rock is dead, and Waters dismisses him quickly. So the 'rock is dead' mantra has been around a long time.

William Smart likes this.
  14. Freedom Rider

15. pathosdrama

I don't know if you are aware of the title of this topic, but here we discuss about how rock is faring in the current musical landscape. Lots of numbers are involved. And yes, Youtube views matter. A lot, actually.

xXDissidentXx and AcidPunk15 like this.
  16. Chris Schoen

Great.

17. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

I'm a 22-year-old whos been obsessed with rock n roll ever since my dad played me The Wall when I was 10 years old. Short answer no rock is not dead if you go to rock shows there are some new bands that attract 1,000+ people. Mostly nerdy skinny hipster looking guys. Very quiet and are generally smart. (Noise rock) the more avant-garde stuff you will see these kinds of people. For bands like Fidlar, it's you average 16-20 something all types of kids usual the "too cool for school" kids but you are right if there was another stones or zep no one would give a f**k. Sad very sad.

Scott S. likes this.
  18. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

Rock isnt dead its at deads door though. 95% of kids my age dont listen to guitar based music. Only Rap and EDM. They will look at you like you have 8 heads if you play Zeppelin. "this is what my dad likes this is so old." Everything with people my age is new new new. I always say if wasnt released 5 minutes ago its already in the garbage

19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Thanks! Excellent article with a number of links to check out (although the writer mixes metaphors - Rock may not be dead, but good editors seem to have disappeared. He writes: "I must admit to feeling bewildered by the latest rash of amateur coroners eager to perform last rites on rock’s corpse." Unless something has gone horribly wrong, coroners do not deliver "last rites".)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  20. dmiller458

If they looked cool rather than nerdy, would that make the music sound better?

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I think it has been very well illustrated on this excellent thread that there certainly is an audience for new rock out there. Loads of it - it's just not big time with the media and majors. That's quite nice actually - makes it more "underground", more sub-culture.

bamaaudio and Chris DeVoe like this.
  22. dmiller458

That's the problem with these type of forums. Too many would rather answer the question they think that the OP should have posted rather than the question that they actually asked.

pathosdrama likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

If you actually look at the old charts, most people were listening to pop music rather than what we think of as "classic rock".

troggy and Man at C&A like this.
  24. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Define “audience”

25. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

When top artists are regularly pulling 400-800M (sometimes upwards of 4B), 6M is a drop in the bucket. Especially considering the video is 8 months old.