Is Pono no more?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by conjotter, Nov 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

They sell a couple of the Sony hi-res players in the refurbished Magnolia departments.

2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

This isn't 2005 - portable audio players are basically a niche product given the current smartphone market. The only exception being cheap "workout" devices like the Clip. And headphones are different as that's an upgrade accessory item for smartphones, it doesn't actually replace the smartphone.

So I don't agree with you, and btw this is coming from someone who still carries a dedicated DAP around. Pono would have floundered if a company like Best Buy had tried to sell it in their retail stores because of the same reason why it didn't sell heavily on a major etailer site like Amazon....because most people don't want to spend the money on a high-end dedicated portable music player.

Runicen, JeffMo and bldg blok like this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Sadly I agree. Streaming is all the majority of people do now (not just teens, but most of my 40 something peers too).

Gaslight likes this.
  4. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

On a semi-related note it looks like all the HD Digital releases on NY's online store have roughly doubled in price overnight. Most of these were around $10 yesterday. I have been keeping tabs on the store to see when they add the new album and noticed the $ bump when I peeked this morning.

HD Digital - Music

5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Wow, that's weird. I was on the other day to see if they'd finally put Decade on as an HD download and the prices were still $9.99 for most releases at that time, too. I wonder who they think will bite at more than double the cost :crazy:?

6. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Hey! Great idea, using a "toblerone" glasses case for the pono! I had an extra one that I wasn't using - just checked and works perfectly. Thank you for the idea.

ramdom likes this.
  7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

And 50 somethings as well - it's amazing just how fast iPods moved to smartphones, and then from there right to streaming.

ramdom, GregK and markbrow like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Every time I see this thread, I think of the George Costanza quote: "The Jon Voight Car is no more."

9. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Yep. I am 58 and my friends are mainly older and I don't know anyone who does NOT stream. It's not just the whipper-snappers.

ramdom and uzn007 like this.
  10. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I’m 60 most people I know stream but there are a few holdouts like me. It’s not technophobia I just want to control my data.

11. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Not a streamer. Just picked up a brand new clear model Pono direct from the company today. Long live Pono!

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It was absolutely a consideration for me. It wasn’t the only consideration (there were several other no-sells). But even if the other negatives weren’t there, the form factor and dated interface killed my interest in it.

Runicen likes this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I understand what you’re saying, but I’m astounded at the number of people I know who are also oblivious to the difference between SD and HD TV channels.

Tuco likes this.
  14. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Well that sucks. I guess I should not have put off buying a few that I wanted. No way I buy at those inflated prices.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I was just thinking about buying a few today. Not gonna happen now.

Sigma6 likes this.
  16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Only an old would say that journey was fast. ;)

Version 4 of iTunes introduced the music store in 2003; Wikipedia says the first iPod was 2001.

Scopitone and Gaslight like this.
  17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That is accurate...seems like as I get older the years start to accelerate.

Coricama and Scopitone like this.
  18. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Good point. After I posted this, I thought about all the people who can't even tell if the aspect ratio on their TV is correct.

19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Totally! An even bigger problem (like my in-laws - although I love 'em) are those who want the wrong aspect ratio as it "fills up the screen". Apparently anything with black bars on the top, bottom OR sides is a bad thing. I've fixed the aspect ratio in settings for a few folks only to have them tell me to change it back.

20. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

What are the design features in the Pono that border on criminal? The two disappointments I've seen with the Pono Player are the touch screen (which I'm not a fan of when it comes to audio players) and the battery life (considering the size of the player it should have a much-longer battery life).

21. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Just in time for Christmas.

22. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

Didn't Neil say very very specifically that he will never release high res files at a higher price?

23. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Sort of the video equivalent of brickwalling.

Can someone explain whether this is a US-only phenomenon or not? In other countries, do you go into bars or restaurants or other public places and see TV sets with grainy standard-definition video stretched sideways to fill the frame?

Bonus points if it's a current broadcast of something that's available in HD on another channel. Don't see that so much anymore, but it was omnipresent in the US up until a few years ago.

oneway23 likes this.
  24. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Sigh...this is a problem with my in-laws as well. They mostly know the channel lineup for the standard def versions of channels now available in HD. However, they get a popup that says "watch in HD?" and they never select it. When I asked why I was told "we can't really tell the difference" :shake:. Yes, they are older (both in their 80s).

uzn007 likes this.
  25. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

Australian here, I've done the correct someone's aspect ratio and been told off thing, some people loathe the black bars. The old days 4:3 TV was the best way let's be honest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.